Author Topic: Considering a .25-06, any experiences???  (Read 1056 times)

Offline Plainsman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Considering a .25-06, any experiences???
« on: October 02, 2009, 12:01:40 PM »
Hi all!

I'm considering getting an NEF in .25-06.  I really like the .25-06 but sold my bolt action a few years ago.  I'd like to return to it, but in something lighter, hence looking at NEF's.  I have three NEF's in the house currently, a .22WMR, a 12ga Survivor and a 20ga, all have been great. 

Is the NEF in .25-06 worthwhile?  Is there any downfalls to the cartridge in this firearm?  How is the extracting/ejecting in this cartridge?

Thanks for any/all input!

Plainsman :)

plainsmanscabin@yahoo.com

"Aim small, miss small!"

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
Re: Considering a .25-06, any experiences???
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 12:47:38 PM »
i have worked a few 25-06's in the past and never a problem with what your asking about.
mostly broken transfer bars and firing pins...
when there right, they can be deadly accurate out to and beyond 400yrds
if you can find one you better grab it...
i've been look'n for one for quite some time..
good luck !!!
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline JerryKo

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (64)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 01:52:06 PM »
I bought an ejector barrel here from another member...fitted it to a frame and have very good accuracy with factory Hornady ammo.  I believe it is a great longrange deer rifle.  Goodluck!

Jerry
"It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up."- Vince Lombardi

Offline catman50plus

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 03:17:08 PM »
Hello, I think  you have picked a good cal. I have shot it for 30+ years, mainly in a rifle I built back then, but I too am wanting a barrel in this cal for myself. If you find 2 barrels, send one my way..........

Offline Plainsman

• Contributor
I handload...
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 05:07:38 PM »
I handload so I plan on wringing out the rifle with multiple loads to find the best.

Which model(s) have you guys had your hands on?  I really like the looks of the Ultra Hunter but is there any difference in accuracy?

Thanks!

"Aim small, miss small!"

Offline Bisley

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 04:06:13 AM »
I bought the Ultra Hunter a few months ago, in .25-06, and I am pretty well satisfied with it.

I, too, hand load, and I have found a couple of loads that will shoot MOA, if I do everything just perfect. It's not an easy thing to do with the factory trigger, but if I rest it on the fore end screw every time, and take my time with the shots to keep the barrel cool, I can shoot a five shot group into an inch, with a fair amount of consistency. My best load is the Nosler 115 gr. BT over RL-22, and I've also had good luck with Nosler 100 gr. BT over IMR 7828. I load both of these near the maximum, and extend the cartridge length some to bring the bullet closer to the lands, but this will likely vary for each rifle. I have a Nikon Prostaff BDC scope on mine, and so far, I am confident to shoot out to ~200 yards. The gun will do 300, I'm sure, but my abilities are not quite up to it yet, at least without a trigger job.

All in all, I have enjoyed tinkering with it, and I think it is a pretty well made rifle.

Offline kevinsmith5

• Trade Count: (4)
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!

Offline j_guy

Re: I handload...
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 04:51:22 AM »
I handload so I plan on wringing out the rifle with multiple loads to find the best.

Which model(s) have you guys had your hands on?  I really like the looks of the Ultra Hunter but is there any difference in accuracy?

Thanks!

I'm a huge advocate of the H&R Ultra in 25-06.. I've had really good results with Hornady 117 gr. SST and Hodgdon H4350.  The 1 in 10 twist seems to stabilize this weight just fine.  The 26 inch barrel adds a bit more velocity at the muzzle to boot.  I used the latest version of Sierra's book for my load development.  I'm running somewhere around 3000 FPS with this load.  Hodgdon H4350 is temperature insensitive, that is my main reason for choosing it.  I've never used any of the Aliant powders, but I can tell you that point of impact WILL change with some of the Winchester and IMR powders when  the temperature drops.
---
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."
Theodore Roosevelt
San Francisco, CA, May 13, 1903

Offline PawPaw

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 06:13:27 AM »
I use Reloder 22, WLR primer, and a 117 grain bullet.  It's very accurate in my Ruger 77.  I'm convinced that the .25-06 is one of the great cartridges for North American game.

Offline kennyd

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 03:45:12 PM »
Get it, it does a job.  I am on here to post my antelope results, so read that one, too.
just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not watching you

Offline Plainsman

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 04:09:41 PM »
Since Bud's has one of each, what is the difference between the Standard and the Ultra besides the laminated stock/forearm?  Is there even any difference other than that?

Thanks!

"Aim small, miss small!"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 04:59:49 PM »
There used to be, the Ultra came with an Ultra rail which is 1" longer, the barrel and frame were much nicer finished, not any more tho, the stock is the only difference, the Ultra rail was discontinued. The other difference was the Handi was marked NEF, but ALL H&Rs are now marked H&R, the only NEFs made now are the imported pump and semi-auto shotguns.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mantley

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 02:09:43 AM »
I bought my .25-06 from a friend who was frustrated with the gun.  He tried several factory loads and could not get the gun to shoot any better than 3" groups @ 100.  When I got the gun I tried several loads and got the same results - very consistent 3 or 4 inch groups.  I took the rifle apart - did a trigger job (honed and spring), fitted the forearm with O-ring (torqued to 15 foot pounds), cleaned barrel, cleaned and lubed receiver.  After about 2 hours of work on the gun I went to the bench with it - factory ammo shot 1.5" group @ 100 - felt better about the $150 I spent on the gun.  I have worked up two loads that the gun likes and both shoot very good - (115 gr Nosler BT and 117 gr Hornady  SST both with Reloder 22).
I have shot .5 inch groups @ 100 with both - the SST seems to shoot better at longer ranges - 2.2" @ 300.

My experience has been you never know how each gun will shoot - if it does not do what you want then read the FAQ's and follow the steps - you will be rewarded by the work of the ones that have gone before us.

Offline Plainsman

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 12:32:12 PM »
Thanks guys!  I think I'll try to find a Standard now, either one from Bud's or one locally and get to working out the kinks.  I'd like to set one up with a Stock/Storearm anyhow, so the laminated stock isn't that important to me. 

Which leads me to another question:

Is there any place that sells the Varminter stock and forearm separately?  Ideally, that's what I'd really like to have on a .25-06.

Thanks!

"Aim small, miss small!"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 12:36:21 PM »
H&R sells em, they're regularly available in the H&R Classifieds here too.

Tim

Offline Plainsman

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 02:47:50 PM »
Thanks Tim!

I tried phoning a few local shops this evening to see if anybody had or could order the .25-06 and two said they could order, only one had a price for me tonight, $249.00. The other will get back to me tomorrow with a price.

Anybody recommend any good scopes for $250 or less? :)

"Aim small, miss small!"

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 05:00:09 AM »
Plainsman:
What you save on the rifle, spend that extra on the scope. ;)
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009, 05:34:37 AM »
One of the great scopes in your price range is the the Leupold VX1, it has a small power ring that simplifies mounting in lower rings, I just put a 4-12x40 on my 25-06 Ultra, I don't think you can find a new 4-12x for that price now, but the 3-9x is a good choice, I have several of them.  Another one for just a little more than $250 is the Mueller TacII, it's comparable to the VXII in all aspects except eye relief which shouldn't be an issue on the 25-06, a great scope for the money and mounting friendly on H&Rs.  ;)

Tim

http://muelleroptics.com/products/MTAC31044.html

http://swfa.com/Mueller-Tac-II-Riflescopes-C141.aspx

Offline Plainsman

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2009, 02:59:18 PM »
Thanks Tim!  I figured somebody had a good one in my price range!  I've had a 6-24x40mm on a previous .25-06 and never fired it at over 12x to begin with! :)  Ideally, I'd like to get a good straight 6x, but I haven't seen a new one of those in years!!

BTW, two local shops can order a Standard .25-06 in for me for $250 plus tax...So that would be about the same as Bud's plus transfer fee.  Thanks for all the great info!!

"Aim small, miss small!"

Offline ihookem

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2009, 02:18:46 PM »
I never shot a 25-06 but like the ballistics. I went with w 270 win instead. I have heard so many people say it is a fussy round. Much more than the 30-06.