Author Topic: Organized cannon shoots in Europe......  (Read 3354 times)

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Organized cannon shoots in Europe......
« on: October 03, 2009, 03:58:00 AM »
I found this when following links one the "BIG PISTOL" discussion..........

I believe this is in Switzerland and they seem to have a big following.....

Link to site..

http://www.1-triptiser-schuetzenverein.de/biwak/biwakstart.htm

Looks like they know how to have a good time,  teams represent various European and American military units

in some of the photos you will find both Union & Confederate cannon crews.......
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
Re: Organized cannon shoots in Europe......
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 04:16:07 AM »
Check out the 2nd picture here. Hand-held cannonz:
http://www.1-triptiser-schuetzenverein.de/biwak/2009/Bilder09%2007.htm
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 05:07:20 AM »
this is a great site that dan told me about ...

http://www.arkeliet.net/forum/portal.php 

very informative . hard to read ,but still good , they have oldtyme shoots .

gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 08:54:41 AM »
I guess those first two pics would be an example of life imitating art; and in the third picture, what in the heck is that thing with the gramophone barrel?

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 09:55:52 AM »
A Swiss getto (boom) box?
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 04:51:22 PM »
Perhaps it is an old time megaphone, so shooters can hear instructions and directions over the roar of the cannons? Just another guess.... BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 05:46:29 PM »
I think it is one of those cannons you fill up with candy and shoot in the air for the kids.......
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 06:05:55 PM »
6 PDR Blunderbuss...

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 01:31:07 AM »
How the hell you know about boom boxes ?   for some reason all the countries with minimum conflict history in Europe seem to glory in re-enactments.We have them in Uk but most people here look at this as a strange hobby and dressing up as weird.Lots of old culture is being lost in UK because of this attitude.Just from the Scottish viewpoint,as a kid I remember Highland Games were held in most towns,and very popular..........now just a big yawn.Girls highland dancing was part of their education almost.To get married in a kilt was almost expected for men.I can understand the English wanting to hide their heritage....dressing up as girlies is not really the image you want to project,or skipping round a pole on the village green  ::) :P......I got proof ! Maybe we are becoming too "" Civilised ""  or perhaps Europeans are trying to hold on to imagined past Glory. We 'Brits' still have capability of getting hands dirty when needed.Swiss !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! no comment. posted 2 pics...........my proof.....me and dragon were sniffing around old church and met this guy,I have respect for his fight to keep English heritage alive,of course the damn Russian had to have pic with this " cute " man.He was with a group putting on a show for some obscure English holiday.Pipers are of what used to be common sight,not so much now. 

reoriented picture right side up...DD
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 08:02:07 PM »
Some German bench rest marksmanship. The frau has an ornate gun that could certainly be described as safely overbuilt.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 08:11:30 PM »

I myself could never understand some peoples need to play dress up.........  ::)

(me on the right)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 08:28:46 PM »
You know, I always miss something good, and Carronader, I totally missed your last post on this thread. I've got to ask you this question: What do you think this guy is smiling about, the fact that Queen Elizabeth borrowed him one of her hats, or is he simply overjoyed that you're about to make him famous by taking his picture? What the.................

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 08:38:14 PM »
Allen: I'm just guessing by the helmet, that the gent to your right is acting the role of a German soldier in WWI; so is that a French uniform you're wearing?

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 08:59:05 PM »
Allen: I'm just guessing by the helmet, that the gent to your right is acting the role of a German soldier in WWI; so is that a French uniform you're wearing?

Yes WWI, And NEIN!  German Artillery .

My Grandfather During his service in WWI

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 10:03:50 PM »
~

Offline oyvind

• Avid Poster

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2009, 04:00:32 AM »
Good post, Oyvind; there are some nice miniatures shown firing in this clip.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2009, 04:09:30 AM »
as a kid I remember Highland Games were held in most towns,and very popular..........now just a big yawn.

Come on over to Red Springs, NC sometime. They still take this stuff very seriously. I attended their Highand Games a few years back.

My Wife's Great x2 Grandfather was one of the town's transplanted Scottish founders. Her Grandfather still lives on the original family property.

http://www.capefearscots.com/events.html

Nothing wrong with kilts...

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2009, 05:31:13 AM »

Ummmm... is it my imagination or it the man with the smile sitting next to the Queen proof that
scotsman do not wear underwear........
:o

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2009, 10:34:04 AM »
Maybe it's part of the badger?
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2009, 06:14:19 PM »
It's a problem with the camera; obvious case of over-exposure...
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2009, 07:58:37 AM »
You know, a couple of the posts on this thread, along with Richard's recent thread about the Finnish ladies artillery group that were using a Dom made howitzer, got me to cogitating upon the fact (or at least by me, percieved fact) that European women seem to enjoy our forum's hobby to a much greater extant than our homegrown St. Barbs; I wonder what accounts for this? I know that Brokenpole has mentioned that his daughter was getting (or got) a mortar, and I recall that there was a member (that doesn't post anymore) who had a cannon made as a present for his wifes retirement, but it seems to me that American women just don't seem to be interested to the degree that their European sisters are. Speaking from personal experience, mine could care less about this stuff, she tolerates it , but it just really doesn't interest her.

Offline Double D

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2009, 05:41:34 AM »
As innocent as that picture was it will get you booted from GBO!

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2009, 05:01:00 PM »
...but it seems to me that American women just don't seem to be interested to the degree that their European sisters are.

They probably let people like Oprah Winfrey do too much of their thinking for them.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2009, 10:18:30 PM »
Speaking from personal experience, mine could care less about this stuff, she tolerates it , but it just really doesn't interest her.

Mine neither. My Wife's big into sewing, knitting and chrochet. Seeing as how I can't use a cannon as a blanket, it's quite the symbiotic relationship :)

I'm sure many women the world over enjoy shooting cannons but there's no denying that these things are 95% 'boy toys.'

I expect that someday a scientist will discover a black powder smoke pleasure receptor in the male brain that's absent in most females...

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2009, 09:45:27 AM »
...but it seems to me that American women just don't seem to be interested to the degree that their European sisters are.

They probably let people like Oprah Winfrey do too much of their thinking for them.

George; that may be a valid reason for some American women, but believe me when I tell you it's not the reason when it comes to my wife, she is not a fan. My wife refers to Oprah's habit of jumping from one great spiritual (con artist) luminary, to the next, and the next, etc., as "throwing them bones."

Speaking from personal experience, mine could care less about this stuff, she tolerates it , but it just really doesn't interest her.

Mine neither. My Wife's big into sewing, knitting and chrochet. Seeing as how I can't use a cannon as a blanket, it's quite the symbiotic relationship :)

I'm sure many women the world over enjoy shooting cannons but there's no denying that these things are 95% 'boy toys.'

I expect that someday a scientist will discover a black powder smoke pleasure receptor in the male brain that's absent in most females...

Victor; While I think that you're probably right in your assessments; I'm still curious if it could be differences in our cultures that might account for European women being more attracted to this hobby?

Offline p51

• My cowboy shooting page...
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2009, 04:15:46 PM »
As innocent as that picture was it will get you booted from GBO!
Yeah, that was just plain wrong. There’s just no call for that on a public forum.

As for the topic at hand, this reminds me of the “fun” shoots I used to hit when I was much younger, there was a small group of folks in the Florida/Georgia area that would do competition shoots at the end of muzzle loading rifle shoot weekends, mostly in Florida. The rifle shooters eventually pushed them out under complains of messing up backstops (but more likely gaining all the attention and press) but there would be at least a dozen (usually 3/4 scale) pieces on a firing line. Man, how I miss those days!
We have them in Uk but most people here look at this as a strange hobby and dressing up as weird.
You might want to seriously re-think that statement, as some of the largest re-enactment events in the world are held in the UK, especially Napoeonic, English Civil War, etc. The hobby mostly got started there long before the US got into it. Also, the largest military vehicle and living history event on earth is held in the UK: http://www.thewarandpeaceshow.com/

But if it’s a “strange” hobby, then I guess I’m as strange as they come, and it’s no more odd than playing with old artillery!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/willysmb44/ww2copy.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/willysmb44/LeeWarCoOly09-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/willysmb44/JeepTommy.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/willysmb44/OrdGburg.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/willysmb44/DoughboyParade97.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/willysmb44/WarCoLee.jpg
"When all else fails, call for indirect fire on your position, AND GET THE HELL OUT!"
-Exact words of one of my 'call for fire' class instructors.
Former US Army Ordnance officer and lover of all things what go BOOM!

Offline Frank46

• A Real Regular
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2009, 04:58:20 PM »
Hey, they may have introduced a new sport cannons off the bench for bech rest shooting......Frank

Offline Double D

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2009, 05:59:38 PM »
Some German bench rest marksmanship. The frau has an ornate gun that could certainly be described as safely overbuilt.

his is an upgraded version of what the SAMCC  does.  SAMCC found their guns didn't shoot that well from the bench. But these benches look a bit more robust.

Boomj, care to share the website where you found those pictuires?

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2009, 10:50:58 PM »
Victor; While I think that you're probably right in your assessments; I'm still curious if it could be differences in our cultures that might account for European women being more attracted to this hobby?

It could be because the Europeans have a longer history of using BP cannons than we do in the US. More variety in the weapons, periods of history, countries, wars, cultures, etc. might attract more women (or just more people in general, I suppose).

They can reenact "Whatever blows their skirt (or kilt) up" over there and be historically (and hopefully politically ;)) correct, covering a few centuries.

Sherlock Holmes