Author Topic: perfect deep woods rifle  (Read 4973 times)

Offline northernbill

• Trade Count: (5)
perfect deep woods rifle
« on: October 04, 2009, 01:10:32 AM »
I am always in search of what I think will be my perfect deep woods deer/black bear rifle. I have some very strict guidelines that the rifle must fit. First off it needs to be light enough to carry one handed all day, but heavy enough to point and swing well. On the subject of one handed carry, I spend my hunting season still hunting the high peaks region of the Adirondacks. Shots generally come quick, and you will miss out on a lot of opportunities if you have a rifle slung. I have yet to find a bolt action that I can carry one handed all day comfortably.Cartridge selection is also a big issue. Long range, light bullet calibers are out of place here. I want at least 30 caliber, but I think 35 caliber is even better, and 45 caliber may be the best of all.Sight selection is also an important consideration. I really prefer a low powered scope, but with all of the rain and snow we get open sights have their benefits.I currently have six rifles that I use exclusively for deep woods still hunting:(1) Marlin 336 in .35 Remington with 1.5x5 Leupold(2)Marlin 1895 Guide Gun in .45-70 with 1x4 Leupold heavy cross hair(3)Remington 750 in .308 winchester with 1.5x5 Leupold heavy cross hair(4)Winchester model 94 circa 1927 in .30-30 with semi buckhorn rear,ivory front bead(5)Marlin model 1893 circa 1908 in .30-30 notch rear sight silver front blade and finally(6)Winchester Model 94 Trapper 16" barrel .30-30 with williams peep and front post sight.With hunting season fast approaching I am thinking about something a new rifle. I think maybe that a Remington 7600 rebarreled to .358 winchester with a 18.5" barrel,a leupold 1.5x5 scope in quick detachable mounts with backup peep-front bead sight would actually be the perfect deep woods rifle. What do you guys think? Tell me about your favorite woods guns.By the way, the rifle that I use the most by far is the Marlin 336 in .35 rem. It carries great, points like a shotgun, and the .35 will put them down for keeps.

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
Re: perfect deep woods rifle
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 02:27:46 AM »
Sounds like you've already got it covered but if you just had to have a new toy you might consider a 44 mag rifle like a Marlin 1894. Then for another new toy you could also carry a pistol in the same caliber. So many toys, so little time ( and money ) Good luck with your choice.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline schoolmaster

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 04:15:08 AM »
I have a .35 remington 7600 with carbine length barrel that probably would fit your criteria. It could be rechambered for the .358 winchester cartridge. There are some around if you look hard and no mine is not for sale.

Offline Thebear_78

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 06:22:15 AM »
In my mind the perfect "woods" rifle has got to be one of the older browning 81 lever guns in 358 winchester.  I like the older metal reciever rifles over the newer aluminum ones and top it with a low powered variable 1-4, 1.4-4, or 2-7 have to be leupold and probably the compact 2-7, really like that scope.

Offline ShooterToo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 06:39:00 AM »
I can't find fault with your caliber choice, I really like the 358 Winchester.  You might look at a Ruger lightweight or a Model Seven as both are very nice platforms for this round.  Also look at the Kahles and Ziess low poer scopes.  They both make models with 30mm tubes and that adds alot of light gathering capability to those low powered scopes.  In deep woods like you hunt that would be a big plus. 

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 07:01:29 AM »
And now for something completley different. An AR15 Bushmaster in a 450 Bushmaster chambering topped with a Leopold 1.75x6 power scope. It seems to fit all of your requirments.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 02:15:17 PM »
IME deer are not hard to kill. They can be hard to hunt. I've got deer with a .357 mag handgun, .44 mag handgun, .243, 25-06, 7mm-08, & 30-06. IMHO the .250 Savage may be the best all around deer cartridge for these parts. Low recoil and the right amount of "umph". Ruger has done a limited run of the M77 RSI chambered for it.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 02:38:33 PM »
Not much better than the Marlin 336.  It should have a low powered scope.  .30-30, .35 Remington, or .45-70 would be my choice.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 02:46:46 PM »
New Options:
Handi in 30-30, 357, 44, or 45-70 with a standard 22" barrel they are compact and swing nice.
One of the Rem Russian simgle shots in 308 or 30-06.
Any of the lever action Marlins in 357, 44, 45 colt, 30-30, 35 rem, or 45-70
Ruger M77/44 in 44 mag. Short little carbine (expensive) but comes with scope rings.  I should have gotten one instead of my deer field.
Ruger M77 compact rifle in 308, 338 Fed or 358 win. Short little bolt gun about the size of a win 94 trapper, comes with scope rings
T/C Encore in a whole host of calibers.  the Catadin carbines 45-70
Ruger No1 S in 9.3X74R or 45-70.
Used options:
One of the old Stevens bolt action rifles in 30-30.
Rem Model 8 or 81 in 35 rem.
Rem M7 in 308 win.
Win, 94 in 30-30, 32 win spl, 375 win. or 307 win.
Contender carbine in 30-30, or 45-70.  I would go with the 21-23 inch barrels as the 16 is really short.  I have one in 223 and it is tiny!  About 2/3 the size of my Deerfield in 44 mag.  The down side to the contender is you will end up with 4-12 barrels.  Same goes with the Handi.
Ruger No3 carbine in 30-40 krag, 44mag or 45-70.(have the 45-70 but would love a 30-40K)
Ruger Deerfield or carbine in 44mag (about 6 pounds like a M1 carbine with some horse power but mine is a rattle box till I stuck some mole skin inside to quiet)
OH and or one of the rifled slug guns like an 870 or 1100 with the scope mount.  Big lead slug good for 125 yards.

No matter what you pick use a heavy for caliber bullet with a round nose.
I have found big heavy round nose bullets knock deer down and they do not go far.
Have not shot a bear but from everything I have read big hole = more blood loss.
I have a few of these and the No 3 would be my favorite of the woods rifles
with my M77 being second.  And the 1895 Marlin in 45-70 being third.
If I had the $ a Merkel SXS in 30-06 would be on my list but as an open sighted rifle.

Offline 243dave

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 03:14:15 AM »
You my have the perfect deep woods rifle already. But I'll tell you about mine. Mine is a Winchester trapper chambered in 45colt. It wears a 1.5 x 4.5 Bushnell Banner in quick detachable rings. The weaver bases have been modified with a dremel tool so when I take the scope off I can see the factory sights. For me this is important, you never know when you may drop your rifle and damage a scope. What good is a quick detachable scope if you take it off, sight down the barrel and can only see your scope bases and not your iron sights?? Some people don't believe a pistol cartridge is suitable for big game. At one time I was one of those people but now I know better. With lots of H-110 and 300gr xtp mags its a 150yd gun. It has the accuracy for 250yd work but not the trajectory. The power from this little rifle is very impressive. I know the 300gr hornady xtp mag bullet will go length-wise thru deer and leave a nice exit wound. Does it seem like I'm bragging ? I guess I am. I thought about a 454 in a 92 copy but I wanted the option of mounting a scope(I know you can mount a scout scope on a 92 but I don't like them). The little trapper is a gun I'll never get rid of. It hits hard, short and light and it just seems to have personality.    Dave 

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 06:21:24 AM »
  As i've never understood the concept of a rifle for this area, and a rifle for that area.  I decided long time ago, that to be the best "game shot" i could be, would be to pick a "go to gun", and use it for all of my big game hunting.  So that's exactly what i've been doing for a long long time now.  That doesn't mean that i don't "ever" hunt with a different gun, but when i want to have my "best" chance of putting meat in my freezer, i pick up my "go to gun", because i by far know it best.

If you choose wisely, you can hunt in every condition with one gun, from deep woods, to shooting across fields, and know that your choise will work "perfectly" in both conditions, and everything inbetween too.

The "big thing" is to "practise" with your go to gun, and get good enough with it to know where it shoots, at all ranges and to know that YOU can make those shots under hunting conditions.

You will never be your best, switching from one rifle/cartridge to another all the time, trying to match this or that gun/cartridge, to "that" days conditions.

In the last 25 plus years, i've taken moose and bear on down to deer, javolina and everything inbetween with the same gun/cartridge, and it's worked perfectly on everything i've shot with it.

I think many hunters are just always wanting something NEW, instead of getting their BEST with what they already own.

DM

Offline NYH1

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 06:34:30 AM »
I love my Marlin 336 in 35 Rem. as my deep woods rifle.   I used to have a Leupold VX II 2-7x33mm Shotgun scope on it.   I wanted to have a rifle that was light weight, hard hitting, quick handling without a scope.   So I took it off.   I currently use THESE XS Sight Systems Ghost Ring Hunting Sights.   I'm not to good with open iron sights so I went with the ghost ring sights.   They work pretty well for me out to 100 yards or so.   In the woods those shots never happen.   If my shots might be over 100 yards I bring my Winchester model 88 in 308 Win. w/3-9x40mm Redfield Tracker Scope.

My 35 Rem is one of my favorite rifles.   Another one I'd like to get someday is Remington's Model 7600P.   It's a police model 7600 with a 16 inch barrel and ghost ring sights.   That'd make a handy little rifle/carbine!   I'm in no hurry to replace my 35 Rem though.   
"ROLL TIDE". . .Back To Back. . .Three In The Last Four Years "GO GIANTS"  "YANKEES"

Offline Terry1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 06:42:34 AM »
I would say you pretty much have it covered. Mine is a Marlin 336 .30-.30 with a Nikon 2-7X32. It never comes off of 2 power while hunting. great gun!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 08:28:23 AM »
Winchester 30-30 nuff said .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 11:29:37 AM »
Find a Rem Model 7 with a 20" barrel.  A 7-08 or 308 will do what you want. 

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 11:55:07 AM »
Drilling man,
While a go to meat gun is a great Idea.
And your general purpose rifle based on one of the .473 head cases would do well with a 3-9 or 4-12 scope is usually perfect for woods and field.
But I think he is talking about a short over all gun that will not get tangled up in briars or trees as you still hunt in heavy woods like a pine grove.
A rifle that is short enough not to get tangled up in briars or over hanging tree branches and is short enought to swing in the trees at a running deer.
Some rifles just fit the bill better and same with calibers.  Moderate to slow rounds work very well to anchor game and give the illusion of Brush Busting.  Big hole in the game and they fall close.
When I am headed back into the swamp I think the scopes are useless and I want an open sighted rifle.
I could see where others would want a low power scope or even a red dot.
I think the ideal set up would be a Ruger M77 Hawk eye compact with a trijicon 1.24-4X24 scope in 308 win.  Light compact rifle to easily move through the woods and an illuminated post sight that will allow for a snap shot as well as some power for an across the field shot.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 12:01:23 PM »
Find a Rem Model 7 with a 20" barrel.  A 7-08 or 308 will do what you want. 

You'll still have a 100 yard rifle due to accuracy issues.  I wish I had one of the 20" barreled Model 700s.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 12:08:05 PM »
Drilling man,
While a go to meat gun is a great Idea.
And your general purpose rifle based on one of the .473 head cases would do well with a 3-9 or 4-12 scope is usually perfect for woods and field.
But I think he is talking about a short over all gun that will not get tangled up in briars or trees as you still hunt in heavy woods like a pine grove.
A rifle that is short enough not to get tangled up in briars or over hanging tree branches and is short enought to swing in the trees at a running deer.
Some rifles just fit the bill better and same with calibers.  Moderate to slow rounds work very well to anchor game and give the illusion of Brush Busting.  Big hole in the game and they fall close.
When I am headed back into the swamp I think the scopes are useless and I want an open sighted rifle.
I could see where others would want a low power scope or even a red dot.
I think the ideal set up would be a Ruger M77 Hawk eye compact with a trijicon 1.24-4X24 scope in 308 win.  Light compact rifle to easily move through the woods and an illuminated post sight that will allow for a snap shot as well as some power for an across the field shot.

My "go to" gun is 40-5/8" end to end, how much shorter does it have to be?  It has both open sights and a quick attach scope, that always comes back to zero.  This isn't rocket science, it's making the proper choise in the first place.

DM

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 12:24:39 PM »
Geuss it all depends on where you hunt.
Out here in CA.  With the open areas my rifle is a 308 with a 26" barrel and a huge 3-9X50 scope.
and it gets tangled up in the briars on the Tree farm in NC.
It seems to be easier to have three specific hunting rifles than one that will do 75% of everything I want.

Offline 1marty

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 03:41:16 PM »
My dad gave me a winchester 94 30-30 over 50 years ago. It's light, accurate and deadly. Hunting in heavy woods where the maximum shot is 75 yards why use a scope.

Offline skylar957

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2009, 04:05:42 PM »
My Favorite is a Thompson Contender with a Fajen Thumb-hole stock chambered in a 23" 7-30 Waters. It wears a Bushnell Elite 4200 and stands up great to all the elements. Yes, it is a Single shot. You seem to really take the time to place your shot and with a little practice you can load a fast follow up in 3 to 4 seconds. I have a Ruger M77 MKII in .260 with a 16" Barrel and the Thompson is about an Inch and a Half shorter overall, But with a 23" Barrel. Just my 2 cents....Steve
http://www.nationalcops.org/
 http://www.foplodge957.org/

Police Officers Give More Than Just Speeding Tickets......

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2009, 04:14:45 PM »
 ;) Bill, while I am not a brush hunter, I like my .30-30's or 358 if I go that route, but I was looking at a Marlin half mag. with a 24 inch barrel in 338 Fed. I think this would come close to the old 71 348. If the 358 were not in my safe, I would have one of these......   ;D

Offline mogwai

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2009, 10:13:14 AM »
I am always in search of what I think will be my perfect deep woods deer/black bear rifle.<<>>I think maybe that a Remington 7600 rebarreled to .358 winchester with a 18.5" barrel,a leupold 1.5x5 scope in quick detachable mounts with backup peep-front bead sight would actually be the perfect deep woods rifle. What do you guys think?
  I carried this very gun around Inlet a couple weeks ago, in the rain and sun.  It is a 760 35 remington that has been rechambered to 358 win and shortened to 18.5".  It carries a 1.5x5 VariX 3.

I tried the gun with peeps.  Best cheek weld with a scope puts my eye too high for instant line-up on a peep.  I decided to forgo the peeps and use the best set-up for scope.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2009, 10:26:53 AM »
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 10:21:24 AM » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As i've never understood the concept of a rifle for this area, and a rifle for that area.  I decided long time ago, that to be the best "game shot" i could be, would be to pick a "go to gun", and use it for all of my big game hunting.  So that's exactly what i've been doing for a long long time now.  That doesn't mean that i don't "ever" hunt with a different gun, but when i want to have my "best" chance of putting meat in my freezer, i pick up my "go to gun", because i by far know it best.

==============================================

i  like  a different  rifle  for  every  scenario

thats  most of the fun

then  when  its  time to  hunt

i don't take chances......as  am  a  poor  hunter and  have  the  adds against  me

i  take  the  308  howa  bolt gun  with  3x9  leupold   for every  thing
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2009, 11:19:07 AM »
I hunted upstate, around Raybrook for a couple years, so I know what you are saying about thick.  Reminds me of northern Maine.

A couple rigs I have used, or would look at-

Browning BLR in .358 win.  I have an old steel reciever model, and have killed a boatload of game with it, mostly in the thick stuff up in Maine, PA, Up-state.
Remington 7600 carbine.  I think it is available in .35 Whelen, another great big woods round.
Marlin 1894 in 44 mag. is a nice carrying gun. hits hard.

One modification I have seen on a friends rifle I like -  He has a low powered scope on his rifle in quick detach mounts.  Under his stocks rubber butt plate, it is inletted to hold a small Williams reciever sight, pre sighted, ready to go as a back up.
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2009, 03:31:45 PM »
For  a "deep woods rifle" it would hard to beat a Rossi 92 in .454 mag. 's the best handling brush gun I've ever had my hands on!!!! My second choice would be the Marlin in .44 mag.
Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline Hunter Fishman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2009, 07:58:09 PM »
winchester model 94 lever acton (side ejection) w/  high rise scope rings so you still have the option to use iron sights! not sure if or where they sell them tho... I just knew a gun smith who manufactured gun parts in his machine shop so this high rise mount might have been a homemade or modified item. I just know it helped him harvest deer at close range & in quick shooting situations.
I'm also am a fan of a short barrel 308. I've seen many a deer drop on site with a 308.

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2009, 10:15:52 PM »
Drilling Man, I admire your philosophy. Choices are fun but mastery of an art is too.
held fast

Offline blackpowderbill

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2009, 11:12:47 PM »
Claymore mine.
People are like slinkies, they serve no purpose yet they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Offline hemlock_vt

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2009, 02:48:06 PM »
I'm hunting the woods of my native VT, generally quite dense stuff with fast, close-range shots.
I'm quite happy with my remington 7600, synthetic stock for some extra weight savings, the 18.5" barrel. It's light and easy to 1-hand carry, small enough to swing around quite easily.

Mine is in 30-06, which I'm happy with as I know that if I do find myself hunting any of the lowland fields I won't feel limited in terms of the range at which I can take a shot.

I've got a pentax 3-9x. It was a gift and if I'd been picking it out I'd probably choose something with a lower low-end, but thus far it's done just fine left on 3x. And hey, if I every do find myself looking at a deer from across a field I'll be able to crank it up to 9 if I need to. I guess I just like the idea of having a single gun that works in all situations and that you can get extremely accustomed to.