Author Topic: Barrel attachments and accuracy  (Read 800 times)

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
Barrel attachments and accuracy
« on: October 04, 2009, 05:46:28 AM »
45-70 introduced me to my 357 Handi and I am eternally grateful.  The little carbine is a joy to hold, carry, and shoot.  Tim has his Handi's "tricked out" with various lazers, scopes, and lights.  Way Kool!

Now I have a barrel attachment, a Universal Weaver Base Barrel Mount, for the inclusion of various accoutrements, as desired.  What, if any, change in shooting accuracy is attributable to a barrel attachment?

My Handi is a shooter now, without attachments.  Can I expect the same result?  Will the point of impact change?  Will I need to move the attachment in or out on the barrel to find that "Sweet Spot" again?

Offline Singleshotsam

• I.T. Professional
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: Barrel attachments and accuracy
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 05:52:19 AM »
I guess i am confused as to what item you are trying to attach.  Can u link it for me?
I'm voting 3rd party in this election by writing in Jesus Christ for president.  Sadly even if this were an option most of you would still vote Republican because "It's a two party system."

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 05:56:25 AM »
Best way to find out is shoot it, what works on one may be different on another, it may work like a tuner and affect accuracy a great deal, for good or bad, a good example is the Limbsaver Dersonator, lots of shooters have found it to work excellent, it may also be an option to get the accuracy back if things go bad instead of good.  ;)

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,179322.msg1098866728.html#msg1098866728

Try a SIMMS Barrel DE_Resonator. It worked WONDERS on mine!!

SAME ammo, SAME shooter, SAME distance, SAME gun. Both groups shot minutes appart.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

NO FUNNY BUSINESS!! I didn't want it either, but the proof is in these pics, the flipping thing works!!!

CW
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 07:14:14 AM »
I'v got one on my 25-06, and I'll never take it off. Works great!
an unloaded wepon is equal to the same mass and volume as a rock.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 12:05:26 PM »
This is the barrel attachment given to me for future gizmos like lazer and flashlight (if desired)

http://www.opticsplanet.net/ncstar-universal-barrel-mount-w-quad-rail-weaver-base-mbm.html

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 12:30:11 PM »
  I would have to think that anything that touches or clamps on your barrel would affect its accuracy. As Tim has showed on his targets, can be good or can be bad. Good luck. And keep us posted.

Lonny

"I HOPE ITS NOT A BLACK RIFLE" :D

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 02:44:28 PM »
The Limbsaver gizmo simply changes the barrel harmonics when you shoot the gun. You can accomplish the same thing by properly bedding a receiver in it's stock, or for guns like Handi's or T\C's, properly free floating the forend.

Then you won't have that big ugly booger hanging on your gun. I mean....I own and shoot Savages because they are wicked accurate. Some think because of the barrel nut, they are ugly guns. Compared to a booger gun, they are a work of art. I'd never own a booger gun. If I couldn't bed it to accuracy, I would trade it in.

But, that's me.

Dave

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 03:45:25 PM »
The Limbsaver gizmo simply changes the barrel harmonics when you shoot the gun. You can accomplish the same thing by properly bedding a receiver in it's stock, or for guns like Handi's or T\C's, properly free floating the forend.

Then you won't have that big ugly booger hanging on your gun. I mean....I own and shoot Savages because they are wicked accurate. Some think because of the barrel nut, they are ugly guns. Compared to a booger gun, they are a work of art. I'd never own a booger gun. If I couldn't bed it to accuracy, I would trade it in.

But, that's me.

Dave

It's just going to depend on the gun which works best. I've used the deresonator on a couple of rifles..bolts and Handi's..they do work..but as you said..proper bedding can work too..as well as free floating or even full lenght or partial  RTV bedding..refrigerator magnets..o-rings..and so on..I'm doing a full lenght RTV bedding job right now..just waiting for it to dry completely..Hopefully it will help..and if it doesn't..I'll slip on the de resonator and see if I can dial it in before hunting season is here..That's one of the nice things about these little single shots..for most accuracy woes..the cures are simple and reversible..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline tykempster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • I enjoy long range shooting and big guns.
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 02:38:45 PM »
NcStar is not known for quality.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 04:55:29 PM »
The "price" of this "gift horse" does not mean that it should be looked at in the mouth.  It is what it is...a gift, and I appreciated the consideration.  I believe it will be a quality item on my Handi...when I use it for its intended purpose.

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 09:24:06 PM »
NcStar is not known for quality.

Neither was KIA OR TOYOTA  ;)

Lonny

Offline tykempster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • I enjoy long range shooting and big guns.
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 02:58:10 AM »
I should have read more carefully, didn't see it was a gift.  I hope it works good for you, but I'm not sure what you expect from it.  It should hold a flashlight or something fine, but I doubt it would hold a laser straight enough to do much more than point with.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 08:47:00 AM »
I have never used a laser or flashlight on a rifle before.   

The gizmo has four allen wrench machine screws at the extremem corners, a "box" channel through its twin halves for grasping the barrel, and four Weaver style lugs on its extremities.  I believe that if used - I screw it down sufficiently, and make the same considerations for the attachments - the steel pieces should do what they were intended to do.  Nothing more or less.

I have no expectations whatsoever.