Author Topic: whitworth drawings  (Read 7004 times)

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: whitworth drawings
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2010, 02:32:50 AM »
That is a real carriage on a stand in the picture. Here is a better picture of one like it ( maybe the same carriage?) at the Washington Navy Yard that once had a 4-inch Blakely mounted on it. It is easy to see in this picture what is the carriage and what is the stand. A very good looking metal carriage.

Max

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2010, 04:25:50 AM »
MAX,

Any more photo's of that carriage? rear view? etc..
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2010, 06:03:55 AM »
Max , Thank you Thank you , That is almost enough information to build it . Been waiting a long time for someone that had this information . I also think it is a very good looking carriage.   Robin   :o

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2010, 06:10:47 AM »
Kabar2

Here is what I have.

This picture was made several years ago. I'm pretty sure that this gun is a former Confederate gun. Most of the large number of cannon in the area where this one is located are "trophy guns" from the American Civil War.

Max

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2010, 06:17:49 AM »
Moose53.

Guess we both were typing at the same time. Hope the additional pictures will be of help. Keep us posted on your build.

Max
Max

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2010, 06:32:14 AM »
Max , That will do , I built a Hochkiss mountain rifle carriage so with these photos I can extrapolate and get it done . I am currently working on alternate energy so it will be awhile before I can play with cannons again , But thank you so much for the photos. Robin

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2010, 08:00:29 AM »
Max, Moose, other members,

So is it anyone's opinion that this iron/steel carriage that is/was on display at the Washington, Navy Yard, was originally manufactured to mount the Whitworth, 2.75-inch, BLR? 

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2010, 08:21:49 AM »
Have you looked at teh drawings at http://www.palmerstonforts.org.uk/art/gun1.htm

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2010, 09:08:52 AM »
I have checked that site many times before, it's an excellent source of drawings, photos,and general info about British military artillery of the Victorian era. The problem with finding any detailed sources like this on Whitworth's production of artillery is that he was never given a contract by the British government.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline moose53

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2010, 09:32:40 AM »
 It probably wasn't  a original carriage for the whitworth cannon , because of the elevating mechanism. But it looks so good mounted on this carriage it should be. A simple screw elevator can be added to be more period or scale . The existing mechanism is a bit heavy duty for the whitworth ;D

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2010, 09:56:46 AM »
It probably wasn't  a original carriage for the whitworth cannon , because of the elevating mechanism. But it looks so good mounted on this carriage it should be. A simple screw elevator can be added to be more period or scale . The existing mechanism is a bit heavy duty for the whitworth ;D

Thanks Moose, I was just curious, because to me that carriage would be from a little later time frame than would make it reasonable to think that it was made to mount the Whitworth barrel on.

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #71 on: August 22, 2010, 11:12:30 AM »
Boom J,

I have no idea what was originally mounted on the carriage. It appears to be an early carriage that had wheels with wooden naves/hubs. I believe they went to metal hubs early in the manufacture of metal carriages.

As I recall, what you see in the area of the elevation mechanism is not original to the carriage, probably something added to hold or secure the Blakely barrel from movement.
Max