Author Topic: c.o.l. in 45/70  (Read 295 times)

Offline xit

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
c.o.l. in 45/70
« on: October 06, 2009, 05:39:19 PM »
Hi guys.

Here is a beginners question.  I am hand loading for my buffalo classic.  I decided to lengthen my cartridge so as to place the bullet closer to the rifling.  I measured it by sticking a 405 grain flat nose solid lead bullet and pressured it till it stuck lightly.  Then I measured it and came up with 2.675.  I subtracted the 5/1000 and loaded to 2.67 overall length with 36 grains of imr 4895 .  Everyone talks about the short throat on the bc and these loads are .13 over listed maximum lengths. They chamber totally normal.  I am wondering if this sounds quite right or is something messed up in my methods here. ???

Thanks
Pat

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
Re: c.o.l. in 45/70
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 12:15:01 AM »
2.55 is the correct c.o.l. "Reloaders with modern single shot rifles can safely exceed the official COL as long as the bullet is not jammed into the rifling when the cartridge is chambered."  Chuck Hawk
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 12:17:41 AM »
I don't have any manuels to check your lengths now. But one thing everyone needs to be aware of is HORNADY BRASS for the LEVEREVOLUTION ammo. Hornady took it upon them selves to throw out SAMMI specs when they brought this loading out. They shortened the case to make things work with there bullet. This is very troublesome when you pick them up and do not know about it.  

It may not apply here, but is something everyone who reloads, needs to be aware of.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline xit

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 03:06:28 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  These case lengths are normal length winchester.  With the 405 grain bullet it seemed like a crime to load it so far from  the rifling.  :)

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 01:38:52 AM »
There is an excellent article in the August 2007 issue of Handloader on the .45-70.  It's actually on the 1895 Marlin but it has dozens of loads.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~