Author Topic: Coyotes, 200 yards?  (Read 2111 times)

Offline kevinsmith5

• Trade Count: (4)
Coyotes, 200 yards?
« on: October 07, 2009, 11:52:38 AM »
Want a good centerfire for dropping coyotes, foxes, and bobcats at my brother's farm out to 200 yards. Possibly a little more. (Will probably be used for this job for two or three generations.) Calibers I'm considering are probably .223, 22-250, .204 but if anyone else has suggestions/experience I'd like to hear them. Will definitely reload and probably cast.  Accuracy, effectiveness, and reloading cost would all be things I'd like to hear about.  Also any thoughts on the relative pros/cons of getting standard Handi vs Ultra Hunter/Ultra Varmint. Anyone with experience in this areas input wold be appreciated.
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!

Offline Kal52

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Contributor
Re: Coyotes, 200 yards?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 01:34:23 PM »
any one of those will do the trick out to 200yds and more,though I dont think Id used cast bullets in em, you have a major leading problem due to the high velocity. (at least thats what ive heard)  someone can either call bs on it or confirm it.

I really dont think one is that much better than the other, its more of a preference thing, longer barrels, stocks etc. Get what you like.
shouldnt make a huge difference i wouldnt think.

You may want to look at the hornet as well, out to 200 it should do the trick, and Its very cheap to reload from what im told, i have the stuff, just not the time to reload mine yet, though the factory ammo is pricey.

Good luck

Dave

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 02:23:06 PM »
I didn't think the Handi came in Hornet anymore, or it would probably top the list.

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 02:39:27 PM »
25-06
an unloaded wepon is equal to the same mass and volume as a rock.

Offline tykempster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • I enjoy long range shooting and big guns.
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 02:40:22 PM »
If you kept velocities in the lower 2000's with cast bullets they would work to 200 yards.

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 03:02:19 PM »
I've got gas checked bullets in mind.  The problem I'd have with the 25-06 is that I'm looking to keep powder charges down to keep the load costs reasonable.  I'm figuring this gun will get shot a whole lot over the years.  Probably be the first center fire my nieces ever shoot.

Offline Hodr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
  • Blinded by law
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 03:09:46 PM »
For me with my eyes out to 120 yds, 357 mag rifle with 125 hollow point.  I don't know about 200 yds that's my broter in laws range with a 223

blindhari
TANSTAAFL

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 03:13:43 PM »
I use a .223 Ultra, and a 22-250 TCR.  Anything bigger will totally blow away a fox.  I also like to watch the bullet strike, so the .223 gets a lot of use.  I have also used the .223 for Wolves.  I shoot at ranges from 100 to 500 yards.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 03:16:32 PM »
How many coyotes you gonna shoot....lol? Jacketed vs cast price difference with a GC is gonna be what, 10-15 cents per coyote? Where I am, 1 coyote per day is good, 2 is great, 3 call the newspapers, it is Christmas.

.204 is the ticket these days for fur. No recoil, no movement in sight picture. No one casting for that though.

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 03:19:43 PM »
I figure it will also punch holes in a lot of paper. My brothers farm is 300 acres and borders 1500 acres of Weyerhauser managed forest.  LOts of target shooting oppurtunities.

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 03:22:06 PM »
We aren't allowed to sell fox hides we shoot in NC unless we are licensed fur takers.  THey are pushing peopole to control the fox population and coyotes are a growing concern.

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 03:47:14 PM »
 ;) I have never used the 204 on coyotes or anything else. for me anything less than .22 cal. is a pain to clean. I have used the 223 and 22-250 a lot. No question I would go with the .22-250. Coyotes are tough to kill and the added power will be useful. ;)

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 03:58:24 PM »
I definitely want to avoid any risk of leaving an injured one alive.  Coyotes can be dangerous when healthy, hurt would be a real risk.

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 03:59:54 PM »
While all of the above are good choices and I have used all but the 06 with great success let me throw one more in the mix.
For on those windy days a good shooting 243 with 100gr soft points is also hard to beat at those distances.
Just something else to consider.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline tykempster

• A Real Regular
  • I enjoy long range shooting and big guns.
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 04:05:19 PM »
I think there are much better choices than a 100 grain soft point in .243 caliber for windy days.  A 223 with a 1-9" twist and heavier bullets is respectable in the wind.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 04:14:43 PM »
A .243 87 grain Vmax is probably the varmint bullet with the highest BC made. It seems to fragment very well.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline poncaguy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 04:17:43 PM »
I have 4 22-250's.......................... :)

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009, 04:23:52 PM »
I was of the opinion the .243 Handis had issues with consistency in accuracy from one rifle to another that made buying one  a crap shoot.

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2009, 04:28:38 PM »
If it's mostly Coyotes and 200+ yds. 22-250. If he has 300 acres and only 200yd shots he must farm trees. If the fur licence would go for the bobcats also, I would go for killing power. If the nieces are just starting shooting you may want to go with a 223 to start them out. You can load it down, uses less powder and brass may be a little less. Better on close paper killin with less muzzle blast. If you're getting a Handi I'm not sure about the 22-250. All in all if you are close to the 200yd. range I think to 223 would do fine for a long time.    

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2009, 04:36:09 PM »
It's actually several pastures of goats, a few cattle, a huge chicken coop, all broken up by tree lined drainage ditches (and he is just getting some orchards started).  No one line of sight is greater than 200 yards.  The nieces are 5 down to 1 at this point, but since my family has several 100+ year old guns still in use I figure I better plan ahead.

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2009, 04:53:36 PM »
Have used the heavy for caliber 223s as well as the 243 100gr on windy days and of the two I will take the 243 as my first choice.

I was of the opinion the .243 Handis had issues with consistency in accuracy from one rifle to another that made buying one  a crap shoot.

No worse than some of the other Handi calibers, ie: changing twist rates and not telling anyone, long troughs, FTFs, tight spots in the barrel, poor shelf and latch engagement.
We have all had or read about all these things and more with the Handis and with other brands of firearms as well.
We either live with them, fix them, or get rid of them and try something else.
My 243 Handi shot great right out of the box as has most of my Handis.
Don't care for the heavy bullets in the 223.
I just move up to the next caliber.
Standard weight bullets in the 223 does just fine for what I use them for.

I definitely want to avoid any risk of leaving an injured one alive.  Coyotes can be dangerous when healthy, hurt would be a real risk.

They will all kill, just some more reliably than others.

To each his own, that is why they make so many different calibers and loadings for each!
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2009, 05:02:34 PM »
Yea you better get some new ones, those old ones may break! ;)

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2009, 05:03:05 PM »
For the record I've never fired a HAndi chambered in any of the rounds being discussed and have only ever fired a .223 and a Hornet in any other firearm.  THat's why I'm after opinions from those with experience.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2009, 05:08:45 PM »
The Hornet is still available, H&R was gonna discontinue it, but that was before Remington bought them, it's still listed as a current product.

The 243 Superlight gives the 243 a bad reputation, but even it will shoot good, just don't plan on making a colony gun out of it, for coyotes it would make an excellent walking gun for an occasional shot here and there, two back to back will work fine too if you get a chance on a double!!  ;D The standard and bull barrels shoot just fine, ejectors were bad about sticking brass, but that's a moot issue with an extractor barrel. I've only stuck brass once in my older 243 Ultra, my fault for not wiping the chamber good after cleaning at the range. ::)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bigvarmnt

• GBO Supporter
  • N. E. Indiana
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2009, 05:11:04 PM »
The Hornet may be a little light for yotes at 200yds. Great for fox, maybe a little closer. A youth Hornet may be a good economical start for the girls if you have others for the predators.  

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2009, 05:15:46 PM »
Kevin get the 223 ... You would be hard pressed to not get it to do what you want out to 200 and beyond , Light recoiling enough to leave the neices with a good feeling about shooting.. And that is always a plus .. I wouldnt down the 22-250 , 204 Ruge or 243 by any means but for something you intend to do alot of reloading for the 223 is hard to beat for all its attributes.. Dont know if i would want to launch gas checked pills at my normal velocities ;) but then again midway is real good about having their blemished bullets for sale through out the year  ;D which keeps costs reasonable ... My favorite all around loading for my 1 in 12 ruger target grey to my Colt AR 15 is a 55 gr Vmax from Hornady with a charge of 21.5 of Reloader 7 .. While it provides great one hole groups out of the ruger it sure isnt anything to sneeze at out of the 20" tube of the AR either.. I never did get to try it out of my bull barreled H&R 223 before i sold it so wont go there but it never hurts to try it no does it ::) and with that load charge i get 326 rounds per pound of powder

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2009, 05:24:44 PM »
 :D I like the Hornet, for what it was made for.... It was designed to shoot woodchucks. It runs out of steam about 150 yards.  >:( I really like this little round, and have shot a couple coyote with it, BUT if you want to shoot coyotes and kill them not cripple, it is NOT the caliber for general coyote shooting. Elmer Keith felt the coyote is our toughest "big game".. :o I agree. I love hunting these animals, and don't feel sad killing them, but crippling them is terrible.  :'( They deserve the same respect we place on deer, turkey etc. So as far as I am concerned forget the Hornet for general coyote hunting.  I like to start with the .22-250 and move up. With the .22-250 if you misjudge your range and have a longer shot say 285 yards instead of 200, you will still have a kill, but a miss or cripple with a .223. Been there done that. Since you are investing in a coyote rifle, a little more power is better than not enough. In my country, we use the .22-250 or Swift for close work, or around stock, the 243 or 25-06 for medium range or light wind, and the 7mm Mag or .300 mag. for heavy wind and long range. Make no mistake, coyotes are tough, tough, tough, if you knock one down and he gets moving, chances are you will NOT get him. Follow Ruark's adivce on this one USE ENOUGH GUN..... ;D :D ;)

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2009, 05:31:52 PM »
Wyo.  The two yotes i have to my credit were with anything but the normal fare for yote busting , First was dead running through the pasture and the Deer field got the back end and broke it down ( 44 mag 240gr JSP @ roughly 70+ yards) tracked um into the briars to finish it close up ... Second was target of opportunity on a Alabama whitetail hunt , 270 WSM 130gr supreme at 45 maybe 50 yards broadside lung shot and well for lack of a be way of describing it .. He was Canoed out .. hehe

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2009, 07:32:51 PM »
A .223 is more than you will ever need for coyotes, the .204 is close, perfect is the 17 Remington, but H&R doesn't make one, the 17 FB is a little light and the Hornet won't quite make 200 yards for a shure kill.  These little guys (Coyotes) are the size of a small dog, think, 25 pounds and about 10 inches thick, you may find a really big one that will go 35 pounds, still think you need a .243 that can take down a 500 pound Elk to take a 30 pound puppy?  Just like it it is bad to go under gunned it is also sort of a shame to go over gunned, kind of like shooting a Sparrow with a 10 gauge turkey gun at 9 feet when the proper gun would have been a Red Rider BB gun.  Hunting is (or should be) a sport, do it right.  Also, the Coyote will not be any danger to you and will not try to eat you if you miss.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2009, 09:18:43 PM »
Of the ones you listed the 223 is a good choice. I have an Ultra Varmint - that is is my avatar look left.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.