Author Topic: Salt  (Read 575 times)

Offline bullet maker

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Salt
« on: October 09, 2003, 04:15:51 PM »
Hey guys :D
   Whats the best type of salt to use, to bait deer? Table salt, Iodione salt, rock salt, cow lick block? ya know like the ranchers use for their cattle.
   Now how about useing it? on top of the ground? buried in the ground? What?
thanks
bullet maker :D
I like to make bullets, handload, shooting of all types, hunting, fishing, taking pictures, reading, grandchildren, 4 wheeling, eating out often.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Salt
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2003, 05:28:44 PM »
No matter what type you use it won't work as a bait. Deer will use it when they need it and if you add proper minerals lacking in your local soil it will help their overall health. But it won't draw them in like corn or other bait for hunting. I've maintained a salt/mineral lick on a piece of property for 10 or more years running now and never ever saw a deer anywhere close to it while hunting the area.

They use that lick hard but never during hunting hours.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline jhm

Salt
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2003, 05:36:05 PM »
bulletmaker :  Like GB I have owned this place since 1980 and have used the red mineral salt blocks at various places both for the cattle and the deer, if you havent already established a mineral lick its too late for this year if you want to draw game into a area corn is probably your best bet at this time of year, as hunting season is upon us, food plots of corn / beans / pees / are what we use and we are vary happy with them with a little turnip sown in between the rows later, it takes years of working the land and the deer, wont happen overnight, good luck. :D    JIM

Offline bullet maker

• A Real Regular
salt lick
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2003, 01:46:18 AM »
O.K. thanks GB and jhm;
  I`ve got moultree corn feeders up and running, they work great, got a nice 10 point that field dressed 145lbs last deer season that came into one of my corn feeders.
   Here where I live in Okla, I have a couple of abandon oil well`s and when they flush out an oil well a mile away to make another produce more oil, useing salt water, sometimes it flushes through mine. and leaves a salt deposit on the ground. The deer go crazy over it, but like GB said, I to have never auctually seen them use it. They tear it up at night, cause I see all the deer tracks the next morning.
thanks
bullet maker
I like to make bullets, handload, shooting of all types, hunting, fishing, taking pictures, reading, grandchildren, 4 wheeling, eating out often.