Author Topic: Picking a predator caliber  (Read 1021 times)

Offline doninva

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Contributor
Picking a predator caliber
« on: October 07, 2009, 04:59:18 PM »
I have narrowed it down to the 204, 223, or the 22-250. I had a 22-250 for several years and dispatched a lot of grounghogs. Loaded 52gr. HPBT sierras and it did it's part, if I did mine. Have a friend that loves his 204 and we could share the dies. The 223 is probably the cheapest to shoot as componets are a little cheaper. Next concideration is brass life. I used to get about 8-10 loading before the brass stretched to much in the 22-250. What kind of life are you getting out of the 204 and 223. Thanks, Don

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
Re: Picking a predator caliber
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 08:26:36 PM »
Easy answer out of the three is the 204 (although I still prefer and use the 17 Rem's instead myself).   Both of these will do anything that the 223 Rem will do, and more.   If l-o-n-g shots are common where you hunt... then the 22 Varminter might get the nod of the three.

Brass life (and barrel life for that matter) are a product of how hard you push the cartridge.   Loosing a little excess velocicty extends the life of both, and really doesn't matter much in the killing fields.   
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 01:09:04 AM »
 Any would work. For predators, which in most areas the coyote is the main critter, I'd take the 223 or 243.
NRA, Veteran

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 02:42:08 AM »
 :D Love groundhog shooting. ;D :D Now I seldom get the chance to do much, but over the years I shot  quite a few.  Of the three guns you mention, to me the .22-250 is a dandy. I have not used a 204, if I were in country that I could still shoot chucks, I would probably own one. ::) For general chuck shooting, it is tough to beat the old .22-250. As far as brass life, Ladobe nailed it down. If you are pushing your loads to the top, brass life is short. I neck size, and seldom loose many cases. Once they are trimmed a bit short, and if you neck size, you brass life should be fine. As far as the 204, with the new powders and 40 grain plastic tipped bullets, I wonder if the .204 really has much on the .22-250 :-[
One can drive those 40 grain very fast, and plus have the option of the heavy 55 grain for longer shots or wind. But from my chuch hunting days, wind was not serious as it is for coyote hunting. But to be a REALLY well equipped chuck hunter, I suppose you should have ALL THREE PLUS A 22 Hornet.    ;D :D :o

Offline doninva

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 03:28:33 AM »
Good answers all. I would have all three but a poor boy can only have one :(. I am really close to getting the 204, as a friend and I, would split the cost on everything. Thanks, Don

Offline Blue Duck

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 04:15:32 AM »
Fist question Id think is.  What are you shooting at and how far?   All fine caliburs, but each is better or worse at some things. 

Offline doninva

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 05:50:10 AM »
BlueDuck, Most shots would be 200 or less. A few longs shots would be possible but not the norm. A lot of hunts for cats and yotes would be in wooded areas. Don

Offline Catfish

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 01:58:08 PM »
I have had varmint rifles in about everything from .17 AH to a .22-6mm and even used used .243`s, a .270 and a ,30-06 for varmints. If your talking groundhogs any of them will due. If you talking coyotes the smallest I will use is a .223. I see that alot of the TV shows are useing the .204 with good results over a call, but I mainly shoot at them over dogs or when running corn and they are all running and away from me. If you go with a .204 do not use Sirrea bullets for coyotes. The Sierra bullets are tack drivers in my CZ, but they have a jacket of .209. the Hornady`s have a jacket of .214 and get more penatration, but the bullet of choice for serice coytoe hunters useing the .204 seem to be the .35 gr. Bergers.

Offline 223Shooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 02:15:15 PM »
I use the KISS method (keep it simple stupid) when I hunt coyotes here in Wisconsin....I use my NEF in a .223. Amazingly accurate and drops them dead !!
Whats not to like.

Offline Lazermule

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 04:01:22 PM »
I use a 204 for the down range shots and a 3 1/2" 12 ga with OO Buck for the close stuff.
LAZERMULE

If I would have asked the people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse....-Henry Ford

Offline doninva

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 05:50:22 AM »
Ordered a Handi ultra varminter in 204. Thanks for all the input. Don

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 06:09:45 AM »
 ;) Let us know how this one works. In less windy country it would be interesting ... ;) 

Offline Lazermule

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 03:00:09 PM »
Ordered a Handi ultra varminter in 204. Thanks for all the input. Don

Same as mine...i'll be a tack driver.

LAZERMULE

If I would have asked the people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse....-Henry Ford

Offline gube

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 06:12:32 PM »
I switch back and forth between my T3 lites in  243 and 204. My favorite is the 204. I have two heavy barrel 204 savages which are pimarily my pd rigs. My 204 yote rifle is a grey laminated T 3 lite with ss barrel. I have used the 39 BK's on a bunch of dogs and for the most part they work great (drt). I have had a few splashes with them though as the BK's are quite "frangible" and are better suited in the PD fields. The 35 & 40 gr bergers and the 45 gr hornady sp's work quite well for yotes. This year I will be trying out the 38 gr wildcats which were made locally out here. I just loaded up some test bullets a couple of days ago. (Business was sold but I aquired 600 to be used exclusively on yotes so should last me a while.) Here is a link to some photos I took comparing a bunch of different 20 cal boolits including the wildcats.
http://predatorhuntcanada.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=5287#post5287
aim small miss small
Savage Vaporizer

Offline hillbill

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 03:02:50 PM »
those are all good calibers, the 243 being my one gun all around fav.however look a lil bit into the future and see what yu think will come out on top.the 223 uses a more common bullet,less powder than the 243 and less finicky than the 204.but yu cant go wrong with any of them

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2009, 02:22:30 AM »
This is kind of an old thread but since it's still alive and since I've not weight in on it and since the OP has not told us that he has made a choice I'm gonna add some thoughts.

First up I think in answering such a question one must first ask a question. Are you wanting to save hides to sell thus wanting minimal damage to them or are you just wanting the critter DEAD? If the former there is much merit to the use of the .17s, tiny hole in and none going out. You "might" get the same from the .204 or one of the .22s with the lighter most fragile bullets or you might get a gapping hole one one side or the other.

If you merely want them DEAD and rat now and couldn't care less about the condition of the hide them I'd say go with the horse power get a .22-250 or better still a .243 or .25-06. When lots of shooting is the order of the day as in prairie dog shooting a milder recoiling round like the .204 or .223 is of some benefit but when predator hunting or for that matter ground hog hunting where few shots will be fired per day recoil isn't an issue so why not go with the larger rounds with the most power and reach.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2009, 11:11:12 AM »
 ;) Graybeard, very good advice, a couple days ago, I visited with one of the govt. trappers here in Wy. In fact in a couple days, I visited with 2 different ones. I got the same answer from both men. Their coyote rifles are a .22-250 and 243 ... One used a 243AI the other just a straight .243. Both prefered 70-80 grain bullets in the .24's.  I did ask one about the .204... He said his dad just tried one on coyotes. If he were only shooting close called coyotes, he felt it would be ok, but not for longer ranges.  :-[ :-\ He did add, "it would make a good jackrabbit gun.."  8) :o These guys shoot hundreds of coyotes for everyone we take.   ;)

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2009, 02:39:43 PM »
 I had a shot at a problem coyote last week. All I could see was his back 1/2. The 85 grn Sierra bullet from my 243 took the long way to get to his lungs, he went about 80 yrds. This may of been a tough shot with a 204.
NRA, Veteran

Offline Blue Duck

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2009, 05:14:32 PM »
I have a .223 and a 22-250 and I love them both.   I live in north Idaho where its mountainous with lots of timber and brush.  Most shots are closer around home and I tend to use the .223 more.   When I head to southern Idaho on Montana I like the 22-250.  I figure if most of my shots will be 250 yards of less I use the .223, if I expect longer shots Ill go with the 22-250. 

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2009, 12:04:46 PM »
Well, as this thread still seems alive, I'll throw a bit of fuel on the pile.

Not knowing what kinds of guns are already in the rack, this might be your answer.

If you have a 6mm or 243 try some of the 55gr Nosler Balistic tips.

If they will stabilize in your rifle, you will very likely get velocies higher then a 50 or 52 grain slug in a 22/250 and still have the ability to use bullets into the 100grain range for deer.

I loved the 22/250 I had years ago (RUGER #1), and it is nice to see my old RUGER flat bolt .243 shoot as well and faster then the #1.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline Lazermule

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2009, 03:01:21 AM »
Well, as this thread still seems alive, I'll throw a bit of fuel on the pile.

Not know what kinds of guns are already in the rack, this might be your answer.

If they will stabilize in your rifle, you will very likely get velocies higher then a 50 or 52 grain slug in a 22/250 and still have the ability to use bullets into the 100grain range for deer.

I loved the 22/250 I had years ago (RUGER #1), and it is nice to see my old RUGER flat bolt .243 shoot as well and faster then the #1.

Keep em coming!

CDOC

Good point Darrel,
I have never owned a 243, but I have always heard good things about them.  I have seen a few deer walk away from them in my hunting crew even with good hits but that can happen with just about any caliber.
LAZERMULE

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2009, 04:38:20 AM »

That's exactly what I did for my 243 Low Wall.  Don't remember the exact load, but it was very fast and very accurate.  Haven't used it on a coyote yet, but I'll bet it won't be hide friendly!   ;D
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2009, 06:25:21 AM »
Yep, critters can and at times do walk and who knows how or why.

But as you stated, it happens even with larger calibers.

I have had very good results in the years since I switched away from the old cup & core bullets I started with.

My first choice for game would be the 95 or 100gr partrition, but I have also seen the Hornady "Interlock" do a good job and hold together well.

Anyway, the 55grainer from the 243 is a real wiz bang and as AtlLaw indicated, probably real hard on hides!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone will probably bring up the powder use thing, but if that is an issue they had better go to one of the smaller cartridges like the 223 sized case.

Ya get what ya pay for and the 55gr/243 combo sizzles.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline FourBee

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2009, 06:46:12 AM »
The one and only reason I stepped down from a larger caliber to the .223 was recoil.  I can't take it anymore.   One good jolt to my right shoulder lasts for days.   If I didn't like predator shooting, I'd have quit altogether, but I still think young even if the mirror shows me a different picture. ;D ;D

4B
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2009, 06:52:04 AM »
Hey there FourBee,

I resemble those remarks!

We must have gotten ahold of bad mirrors.

On the bench, I use a sand bag between me and the kicker for anything above the 243, which I find to be a kitten in the kick department.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline Lazermule

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2009, 04:12:46 PM »
My dad is 67 and with multiple back and neck surgeries he ain't quite what he once was.  It bothers him a bit but he makes the best of it.  He is good for a couple of hours at the range and then I end up shooting his guns for him as he just enjoys seeing how they shoot.  I benefit from a TON of trigger time and it keeps him happy. 

This past summer, we took a 1000 yard course at his club and he was pretty bummed out that he couldn't get it done as his neck wouldn't allow him to lay down on the berm and raise his head high enough to look through the scope.  End result is that I got to shoot and dope 2 rifles at 200, 400, 600, 800 and 1000 yards.  We both had fun but I sure wish I could figure out a way for him to do it.....

Take care of yourself, that what he has told me time and time again...

LM
LAZERMULE