Author Topic: New stub project in the works! The Bear Sniper!  (Read 1074 times)

Offline maglvr44

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
New stub project in the works! The Bear Sniper!
« on: October 07, 2009, 07:51:03 PM »
I have a "thing" for the 7.62x54R cartridge, I have finally located a nice 27-3/4 inch Mosin-Nagant, 91/30 barrel and will be stubbing it to a year 2000 SB2 action, It should really reach across a powerline cut, whether or not it will wear my infamous "cheap-peep" or not is yet to be seen, it just might get some optics mounted to it, even though I hate scopes with a passion, but with a barrel that long a peep just might do the trick also, we shall see! Heck I might even break down and have the stub/barrel welded on this one! I have a few hundred rounds of Wolf 200+ grain soft points sitting around so I figured now was the time to build the Bear sniper.
It won't be today or tomorrow but it's in the works ;)
Why NEF never made a Handi in this round i'll never know, what a cartridge it is with heavy soft point bullets!!

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
Re: New stub project in the works! The Bear Sniper!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 09:15:10 PM »
Keep us posted on your progress. I like projects, range reports and hunting stories. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 12:16:44 PM »
Probably didnt grab onto in years past due to lack of quality hunting ammo being available Maglvr ... When they first hit our shores me, both my cousins and my brother in-law bought one each for 49.95 and it took us quite a while to find something that wasnt FMJ mil-surp or Normas $50-70 a box ammo , and none of us reloaded at that time ..

That might be what stayed it off from production , but i agree it has a great place to fill in the world of the handi ... Now if we can only get Remmie to kick the tires in to gear.

Though they may feel that that power band is already filled with the 06/308.

Be sure to keep us up dated,

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 02:41:50 PM »
What are your plans for securing the barrel to the stub on this one? Please use some threads on this one. The 7.62x54 is a "bit" more cartridge than the .357 or .44

Spanky

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 03:17:53 PM »
The 7.62X54R is the Russions rip off of the 30-06 so why bother chambering it.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 03:55:55 PM »

Why not..? A nice 30-06 class rimmed cartridge isn't a bad idea..and if the supply of brass is good...could lead to some pretty cool improved cartridges I would think..

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 04:15:07 PM »
Spike in the H&R rifles the rimmed cartridges are known for producing some real nice accuracy.. This is why i flirted with the idea of a 9.3x74 rimmed , Big game and Rimmed .. Could of been interesting to learn more about what it could do out of a handi... Unfortunately of all the diameters that Wayne York plays with that isnt one of them...

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline maglvr44

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 04:17:32 PM »
What are your plans for securing the barrel to the stub on this one? Please use some threads on this one. The 7.62x54 is a "bit" more cartridge than the .357 or .44

Spanky
Well, I think just to prove "forward thrust" isn't nearly as great as what a lot of folks think it is, i'll secure this one with wheat flour, wallpaper paste and 3-M brand Scotch tape :D
Actually, set screws and a bit of weld will probably be called upon to hold things in place, threads are a possibility also but we shall see.

Offline maglvr44

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 04:28:47 PM »
Spike in the H&R rifles the rimmed cartridges are known for producing some real nice accuracy.. This is why i flirted with the idea of a 9.3x74 rimmed , Big game and Rimmed .. Could of been interesting to learn more about what it could do out of a handi... Unfortunately of all the diameters that Wayne York plays with that isnt one of them...

9.3x74R now THERE is a cartridge!! and should I ever come across a barrel that is not insanely priced, you can bet it will be sitting on a SB2 action! Another is a .348 Winchester.
Just a personal thing, but I have no use for rimless cartridges, well ok..... I do have a few 35 Remingtons but never carry them anymore.

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 04:30:39 PM »

Why not..? A nice 30-06 class rimmed cartridge isn't a bad idea..and if the supply of brass is good...could lead to some pretty cool improved cartridges I would think..

Mac

Damn it is good to hear/posted or other wise  ;D your voice! I thought you were out and about and forgot your Handi family ;)
My best to you and for family my friend! 8)

-Aaron

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 04:48:04 PM »
Yeah that was my blonde moment for the day I was thinking about the ballistics and the rimmed cartridge didn't even occur to me.
                                                              410ga

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 04:54:31 PM »

Didn't the Russian round predate the 06?
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 07:31:45 PM »
Not sure I remember some show on the history channel some early lever action rifles that were given to the tzar, shortly after that the Russians started producing there version of the rifles chambered in 7.62X54R. Remember the 30-06 was just the 30 until 1906 when the American army adopted it. How long was it around before it became known as the 30-06
                                                              410ga

Offline maglvr44

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 07:50:14 PM »
Not sure I remember some show on the history channel some early lever action rifles that were given to the tzar, shortly after that the Russians started producing there version of the rifles chambered in 7.62X54R. Remember the 30-06 was just the 30 until 1906 when the American army adopted it. How long was it around before it became known as the 30-06
The 7.62x54R was 15 years before the 30-06, it was birthed in 1891, also, I don't believe the 30-06 was ever "just the 30", the 30 caliber round I think you are referring to is the short lived 30-03(Aka. 30-45), which was replaced by the 30-Govt-06 in 1906.
The Winchester 1895 was chambered for both rounds and Russia bought thousands in their 7.62x54R caliber.

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 01:15:57 AM »

7.62x54 was actually the number one chambering of the 1895 winchester Lever action. The mosin was introduced in 1891 that predates the 95 win.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2009, 01:20:59 AM »
The 7.62x54R was 15 years before the 30-06, it was birthed in 1891, also, I don't believe the 30-06 was ever "just the 30", the 30 caliber round I think you are referring to is the short lived 30-03(Aka. 30-45), which was replaced by the 30-Govt-06 in 1906.
The Winchester 1895 was chambered for both rounds and Russia bought thousands in their 7.62x54R caliber.

Thanks for the history lesson! The way the show I saw made it sound was that the Russians disassembled one of the rifles,reverse engineered it and started started producing unlicensed copies in 7.62X54R
                                                              410ga

Offline 1NEFsofar

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2009, 02:22:36 AM »
+1 on Maglver.....I have an old Mosin and a WHOLE lot of ammo and wish NEF made a barrel for it. :'(.  Maybe I'll get very adventurous and try a stub sometime in the future.

First I think I'll wait and see how your comes out!  Please keep us posted!
If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.  

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Offline aromakr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2009, 08:25:43 AM »
9.3x74R what a great cartridge, I'm been thinking of wildcating it to a .35 cal. Improve the case slightly by blowing it out with a 40 degree shoulder. Should make a great cartridge on the Handi. I am concerned about what improving it will do to the CUP pressures.
Bob

Offline Dweezil

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2009, 01:32:20 PM »
...mmm ok.  I loved the .44 SP and .357 projects, and just finished my own .357 stub...but I don't really see the point in a 7.62x54r.  Not the economics, at least.  You can still get shooter quality 91/30, M38, M44 at great prices.  I have them and love them. But by the time you stub a take off barrel onto a Handi. you've spent more than you would  on a well preserved Milsurp. Doing it to prove a point or "because I can" or just for (censored word) and giggles because the process is sooo addictive--OK, I get that too. Wait a minute, wasn't I trying to prove a point?!   :DNever mind, nothing about this hobby is practical.  Just do me a favor: at least put a Russian side-mounted scope on it.  That would be way cool. So would a cruciform bayonet. An old "Dog Collar" sling and original ammo pouches wold be a nice touch too. I have front and rear sights from an M44 and the folding bayonet assembly I'd be willing to send you if you want them for this project.  Just PM me with your address and I'll send them.

Offline maglvr44

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2009, 02:50:50 PM »
...mmm ok.  I loved the .44 SP and .357 projects, and just finished my own .357 stub...but I don't really see the point in a 7.62x54r.  Not the economics, at least.  You can still get shooter quality 91/30, M38, M44 at great prices.  I have them and love them. But by the time you stub a take off barrel onto a Handi. you've spent more than you would  on a well preserved Milsurp. Doing it to prove a point or "because I can" or just for (censored word) and giggles because the process is sooo addictive--OK, I get that too. Wait a minute, wasn't I trying to prove a point?!   :DNever mind, nothing about this hobby is practical.  Just do me a favor: at least put a Russian side-mounted scope on it.  That would be way cool. So would a cruciform bayonet. An old "Dog Collar" sling and original ammo pouches wold be a nice touch too. I have front and rear sights from an M44 and the folding bayonet assembly I'd be willing to send you if you want them for this project.  Just PM me with your address and I'll send them.
Actually, my reasons for doing it are these...
I LOVE the round(when loaded with heavy soft points, I'm not a mil-surp shooter), and from what I have witnessed, I believe it to lay in some magical power zone between the 308 and 30-06 that neither cartridge can compare to.
Also, I am left handed and no lover of bolts in general.
Then there is the fact I don't like rimless cases.
I love Handis and LONG barrels!
And last but not least, I love a good project.
Sounds like plenty of reason to do it ;)
And as it stands I have $100 in the year 2000 (NP code) synthetic 45-70 that will be donating the SB2 action and tupperware furniture, $45 for the 27+" Nagant barrel, thats $145 - what I will get for the 45-70 ejector barrel and $10 for a stub, this might be the cheapest one I have done yet, I doubt it will hit $60 total investment.

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2009, 04:09:19 PM »
maglvr44 I say if ya wanna do it do it, at some point I'm gunna have a heavy barrel 223 rebored to 303 brit just because i love that round and i want too. I have an smle but it's not really a practical hunting rifle.
                                                              410ga

Offline maglvr44

• Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2009, 07:02:33 PM »
maglvr44 I say if ya wanna do it do it, at some point I'm gunna have a heavy barrel 223 rebored to 303 brit just because i love that round and i want too. I have an smle but it's not really a practical hunting rifle.
Hunted a LOT in my early years with a 303 jungle carbine, the round is legendary for moose(because there's so many 303's in Canada), excellent cartridge, and it has a rim! Should be a nice setup!

Offline fish280

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2009, 04:24:51 AM »
i love that old russian (that's russian, not soviet) chambering, too. with that big rim and tapered case, it is perfect for the handi. but why stub? rechambering and re-boring a 7mm-08 would cost, what?, $300? is stubbing that much less expensive - or that much more fun? ;) if i were stubbing, i'd go with a finnish sako or valmet barrel. the finns' reworks are the best iterations of the m-91 iterations ...
His,
><>

Offline fish280

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2009, 04:27:21 AM »
that round is hoot to handload, too. just buy .311 caliber bullets and go to town, starting with moderate .308 win loads and working up. OR re-chamber a .308 or .30-30 barrel, and load .308 bullets instead for more flexibility. ::) seem a good deal less expensive, too ...  ;D
His,
><>