Author Topic: Garys new hobby , NOW with video !!!!!  (Read 16743 times)

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
Garys new hobby , NOW with video !!!!!
« on: October 09, 2009, 02:28:57 PM »
Hello all ! I am and have been one happy clam ! Two days ago Mike and Tracy and I 'made bronze' !

I've been engaged in this project with three of our members , Mr. Dan Pettersson has worked with me since March . He has mentored me , and taught me how to make bronze ! He is an excellent teacher , it would be impossable to to explain the things he has taught me it is an awsome prossece , and I will buy his book  8)!

Mike and Tracy have been a great help ! Every step of the way they encouraged me and allowed me access to their machine shop and materials . They have taken a great interest in this project and it would not have got this far without them . I will not buy their cannons  ;D.

Here is a picture of a cross sectioned ingot that Mike sectioned and Tracy photoed .

DD you should see these ingots all brassoed up !  :o

I've got some tweaking to do with the burner and things some more test casts . Also thanks to Bruce R. who is a 30 year friend of ours , he did all the welding on the tools .

I have loved every miniute of this project . mostly the art part ,but this high temp casting is another world ! I never watched a crucible go thru it's deep blues and salmond colors to pink and violet  B4 . Awe is a good word .
Gary

BUT if anyone says that "you too can make a bronze cannon for 50 bucks or less ."    ask them , "well ,how could that be ?" you won't get an answer !  :D then you can say Seeeeee ?

I hope a small cannon will be born soon . ;)

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline dan610324

• Trade Count: (0)
  • bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
Re: Garys new hobby , with alot of help from his friends !
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 02:51:18 PM »
oooooohhh yeah gary , I still say that its possible to make a small cannon or mortar cast from scrap copper and a little tin by the coal fired coffe can furnace and flower pot as a crucible for $50
but ok the result will not be the best
I will do it myself with full documentation in the book , if it will be a book, but I hope it will

what you got now is a small professional foundry equipment , or an very advanced hobby equipment
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 06:34:56 PM »
O.k!  ;D the man has entered the Bronze Age!

so don't just tease us with a ingot lets see some photo's of your furnace and maybe some explanations,  I'm sure Dan can fill in the rough spots.

Allen <><
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 11:10:36 PM »
Ratfink !  go drink your Brasso.............you've shown what passion....patience..........and bloodymindedness can achieve...a good example for all !   Now !  about this BRASSO  >:( >:(
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 04:55:02 AM »
If ya gotta shine it up, use Never-Dull, no scratches, no wear on the metal, no harsh chemicals on your hands and fingers...sounds like a comercial, LOL! Anyway, in the shiny department, I, (and a few others!) like it best. BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 05:02:06 AM »

this is an older pic of the furnace . this was after i fitted the door back on and welded . then i added refractory as needed .

this is the inside after the re..refracting .

this is a shot straight down the vent .
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2009, 06:31:48 AM »
Excellent work Gary, I'm looking forward to seeing more.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2009, 06:38:49 AM »
What are you using for a blower? And what kind of fuel are you using?

I have a big Stainless steel shop vac body from one that crapped out at work I am planning to build into a furnace

who did you order your refractory cement from? How big a crucible are you able to use?

How many pounds of bronze per pour are you getting?

Oh and please no casting rings called "Precious"  ;D it will end badly......

Allen <><
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 08:13:11 AM »
now you started something gary   ;D
now you need to tell what that ugly brute in the background is and why you got that
and of course tell a little about your favorite part of this and show your artistic skills
now you got yourself a full time job  ;D
when should you have any more time for the casting ??  ::)
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 08:44:30 AM »
that ugly brute was an old kiln from the junkyard ,that was some time ago . she's been rewired cleaned up and sitting on her own stand . it for the burnout of the mold . i tested her to over 1400 f .Plus a hole was added in the bottom for the wax to run out of .

no blower yet , but next i'm going to try a shop vac . fuel is propane .

i made my own refractory cement .

the crucible is an A-16 , it's capacity is 30 lbs . the last batch was 10 lbs ,next will be around 20 . btw its 90-10 only . 'Navel Gun Metal'  . Dan has taken a lot of time explaining to me that it is the proper material to use and the only one to use for cannons.    it polishes up so nice too  8)

that tub should work ok . i was amazed to find out how most of the backyard type funaces are made from ...popcorn tins ,like the kind at Christmas with three flavors of popcorn , pretty light stuff .

BCS ,Rio Grande , and Lost and Foundry have been helps . one thing is you wont find 90-10 bronze for sale , so you make it .

i've been a doodler all my life , even in school ,which my spelling is evedence of . 

i've found the 'art part' of this  is some of the most engaging thing ive done in a while . i'll post some pics .

gary

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 10:16:11 AM »

this is the positive wax that i made a silicon mold from .

and this is a wax that came out of the mold .

this is a close up of the castable . this will be the first cannon , it's a whimsical one i named Smee .

Smee was Hooks right hand man in Peter Pan .  these photos are right out of the mold as LOTS more work needs to be done to chase the wax b4 investing .

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 10:25:48 AM »

Smee with dolfins ready for more finishing work

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 10:57:33 AM »
Me thinks I spie some of Dan's work set atop of Ol' Smee,  I like the name it fits!

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 11:14:06 AM »
yeah its a real fairy tale cannon that gary designed here
Im the proud owner of the original sketches, yes they are even signed
even Disney couldnt have given it a better design or name

when Im looking at it I think about the bullet in the roger rabbit movie
will you use that kind of ammo gary ??
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2009, 11:28:31 AM »
I've been privy to the close hold secret functions Gary has been working on for a couple of months...been waiting to see some progress for a while.  Well worth the wait and I can't wait to see the next step!!

Good Job Marine!!

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2009, 12:17:27 PM »
Kabar2 you are right on the money .....

i call those my holy dolfins ! Dan made them from church candle stubs ! he set me some .

DD you been waiting ?  :o me too ! Semper Fi

here is the smee on it's carriage .

ammo ?  :o it's a cracker cannon .

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2009, 02:07:44 PM »
Gary, we are really glad you finally posted this thread.  I guess no one could be more anxious than you were, but we think you're well on your way now and your progress should go at an exponential clip now that you have achieved melting and pouring.  For the little help we were able to provide, we expect nothing in return...........well a nice little Lion Mortar similar to what Max Caliber posted about a year ago would be nice!  Seriously though, it has been a real pleasure helping out and seeing your dogged determination to see this project through.

The following are a few pics of Gary's Backyard Bronze Foundry.  Gary has done a tremendous amount of research, even before buying the first piece of equipment.  He is on a mission.  Mike and I are sure of his success in casting high quality bronze cannon.

Mike and Tracy

PS    I neglected to get a photo of the dross consolidating powder being added.  A long column of white smoke rises from the furnace as this chemical attracts the impurities to the surface of the melt, as it is stirred into the molten metal, then the dross containing these impurities is skimmed off with a large 3/16" thick steel spoon with a 2.5 foot handle.

This shows the 20 lb. propane bottle, delivery hose and the venturi device that mixes the fuel and air and delivers it into the furnace along the wall to achieve a swirling motion of the fire and heat to surround the melting crucible.  The furnace weighs about 200 lbs.

Crucible handling equipment here; in the back are the crucible tongs which work like ice tongs and allow the foundry worker to grab and then lift the crucible from the furnace.  In front is the pouring cradle which holds the crucible securely, ( x 20 is a sliding keeper that holds the crucible in the cradle) and has two handles at one end for rotating the cradle during the pour over the mold.

Essential safety clothing.

Pure copper electrical wire and mini ingots of tin melt in the intense heat of the propane furnace.

A small quantity of de-gassing powder is lowered into the liquid bronze. The stainless steel dipper is about two feet long and L-shaped.

Looks pretty nasty from the top, but it's shiny, tough, very tough bronze underneath.  Standard 1 lb. lead ingot molds were used.  Never used for lead, they were new and clean.

This shot shows an empty furnace after the pour and the three pieces of fire brick which provide a stable, centered, support for the crucible's bottom.  You want some heat 'under' the crucible during liquifaction.

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2009, 02:40:43 PM »

Like this one ?

how about a Morko gun ?

?   ;D

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2009, 03:27:57 PM »
RocklockI,

You are much further along than I am but I have a lot on my plate at the moment,

I too am the recipient of Dan's fine Dolphins, which I hope to give an honorable home on some future projects,

I like seeing your work, and can't wait to see some casts done. keep up the good work!

Allen <><

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2009, 04:19:46 PM »
Welcome  , and Thank You ! :o , fellow disciple !

"The Orical From The Land and Snow " (que ...the imagrant song !!! ) has blessed us both .  ;D 8)

I AM NOT KIDDING IN THE LEAST ! ........nope not one bit .

Dan is THE MAN !

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2009, 08:27:53 PM »
 I hope you guys will make this a long & detailed thread. I've always dreamed of making an iron or bronze backyard foundry.

Today I told the Wife I'm going to make one and demanded her support in my endeavor.

She told me that if I worked on a foundry before I built her a brick BBQ, I'd find the couch very supportive.

Are there any plans available for a brick BBQ foundry?
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2009, 12:25:23 AM »
it must be close to impossible to have a combo bbq and furnace in the same
but it could be made as 2 different units built together at the same foundation
I will think a little of it and make some sketches tomorrow
you could add a smoker to it also when you are building

but when it comes to iron its a little more difficult , you need a cuppola for that
forget the iron , bronze is so much easier and more beautiful

for what purpose should you have it
what capacity do you need ??  crucible size ??
what size for the bbq ?? 2 sauceages or a whole bull ??  ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2009, 03:52:47 AM »
What temperture do you need to reach to melt tin and copper?
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2009, 04:55:47 AM »
@2200 degrees

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2009, 06:07:23 AM »
2200° is for the copper; tin is much lower by itself.  When making the bronze you melt the copper by itself and add the tin at the last minute.  Otherwise, some of the tin would be burned out of the mixture by the time it reached casting temperature and the alloy would not be what you expected.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2009, 06:15:12 AM »
Casting iron can be done but as the fellow on the internet site found out you tear your furnace to hell quickly

http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/ironcasting01.html

I'm with Dan & RockLockI, Bronze for home casting is better.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2009, 06:50:07 AM »

Crucible handling equipment here; in the back are the crucible tongs which work like ice tongs and allow the foundry worker to grab and then lift the crucible from the furnace.  In front is the pouring cradle which holds the crucible securely, ( x 20 is a sliding keeper that holds the crucible in the cradle) and has two handles at one end for rotating the cradle during the pour over the mold.

At the Montana zinc casting session George suggested I needed one of the two handed cradle.  I disagreed with him as I am a one man operation. I can see the benefit from this set up and it gets your hands, arms and body to the side of the hot pot.  George-Gary can this type of set up be operated by one person?

Gary your project may be the push I need to get busy and get my furnace finished.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2009, 07:55:56 AM »
I've tried to figure out a one man operation , I can see 4 reasons it's nearly undoable

I cannt lift the lid off my furnace . I've got some ideas for a camming or lifting type tool that would lift the lid and then it could swing out of the way . Maybe using a trailer tounge crank for the front wheel ?

You couldnt operate these tools by yourself ,they are designed for two . Handling the mold after burnout is really a two man deal too .

Third is plain ol saftey !, :o That crucible is hot , hot like I've never been around b4 . ANYTHING that comes out of that furnace (tools , crucible, BRONZE ) will ignit anything else on contact instantly . I've had a few lead spatters hit me while casting bullets .......this is a whole other ballgame .

Fourth at the time being , I have a willing supply of help !  ;)

Some furnaces on the net are for a one man operation , but they are pretty small .

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2009, 08:49:02 AM »
The safest way for a one man operation would be where the furnace is the crucible and you have a knock out leading to

your flasks, I have thought about larger pours and this is the only way I can see to do them with safety in mind,

there were a few videos I posted some time ago about a Danish recreated village where they built a crude furnace out of clay and melted

their bronze directly in the furnace, then knocked out the bottom side leading to their mold producing one of the earliest forms of bronze cannon.

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2009, 09:45:10 AM »
DD, since you are casting zinc, the cup shank would work well.  I use it some for zinc and aluminum for better control.  This one holds a #4 graphite crucible that holds 7.5 pounds of bronze.  You can hold it with a foundry glove for pouring zinc and for hotter stuff I slip the 9X9X1 inch piece of thermal blanket shown over the handle to shield from the heat.  The common double end pouring shank shown works well also.  I use a separate thin metal keeper to hold in the crucible.  Both of these can be used with metal crucibles.

Max