Author Topic: Garys new hobby , NOW with video !!!!!  (Read 16753 times)

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
Re: Garys new hobby , with alot of help from his friends !
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2009, 05:46:54 PM »
2150 , i could not maintain it very well . everytime the probe would move the slightest bit the temps would swing wildly . in an attempt to read into the crucible i ended up melting a wire lead to the probe !

the working time is just not what it should be . i'm going to biuld a bigger burner . marching on  8)......this aint easy !
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline dan610324

• Trade Count: (0)
  • bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2009, 10:29:34 PM »
no it aint easy , its a lot to learn
Im so sorry that I dont got any experiance from propane burners , but they have always been an too expensive option for me
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2009, 10:47:47 PM »
 Dan,

In another thread, you mentioned ceramic filters. Do you know of anywhere a few of these might be purchased online? I couldn't find any.

If anyone needs firebrick, this place is the cheapest I've found. About 1/2 of what Budget Casting Supply sells them for, even considering BCS's free shipping...

http://www.sheffield-pottery.com/Bricks_and_Refractories_s/24.htm
"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2009, 11:04:55 PM »
Victor,

That may have been the thread Cannonmn started with the video of casting bronze cannon, I remember the discussion included the filters,

maybe Cannonmn can find the link to that thread easier than I can I looked but could not find it.

Allen <><
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2009, 11:30:15 PM »
Did a google search for ceramic casting filter:

http://www.tradekey.com/ks-ceramic-casting-filter/

There were a number of results, but this is the first one.

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2009, 11:59:07 PM »
 Thanks guys,

Allen - Dan was talking about them in the "how to blow up a cannon" thread the other day. He appears to be familiar with using them :)

Gulfcoast - That site won't let me in unless I register ??? I did find some suppliers for the filters, but they required large minimums.

I maybe should stop by the foundry here in Redondo Beach were the place I used to work sourced their bronze castings. Maybe if I make nice they'll give me a couple.

They might not use filters though; I cut into a ball bearing in one of their castings once.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2009, 05:07:09 AM »
Filters are a bit of a problem to get . the distributor in Denver will not sell less than a full box 500 2x2 iirc ,

thats @125 bucks .........i could sell the rest . 
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2009, 05:17:18 AM »
Did a google search for ceramic casting filter:

http://www.tradekey.com/ks-ceramic-casting-filter/

There were a number of results, but this is the first one.

just make sure you get the filters for iron as the ceramic aluminum filters will melt . the places i've searched just dont carry a 'bronze ceramice' filter . ymmv  ;D

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2009, 06:01:53 AM »
Victor,

That may have been the thread Cannonmn started with the video of casting bronze cannon, I remember the discussion included the filters,

maybe Cannonmn can find the link to that thread easier than I can I looked but could not find it.

Allen <><

It was easier to track this thread back viewing RC's posts, I knew it wasn't posted that long ago. The founder answers some questions posed by Cannonmn about the filters, and later in the vid he removes a used one to show what they look like.

Cannonmn vid of bronze foundry 
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2009, 06:18:50 AM »
I would like to make a suggestion,

There is a lot of good information being brought into this thread, I would like to see it possibly retitled and added to the sticky's so it does not get lost.

as time permits we could link older threads dealing with casting to this so we have a one stop shopping for all info gathered.

Allen <><
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2009, 08:08:39 AM »
be sure that you get the foam filters when buying ,
the old honeycomb is just straight holes in a piece of clay
they are much more difficult to use and doesnt have half the filtering effect of the real foam filters

there is an quality called "sic" , think it means silicone carbide .
they are for copper alloys
you can also use zirconia filters , but they are approximately 3 times as expensive

sorry but I dont know where to buy anything in usa , just call foseco and start asking questions , thats the best advice I can give about where to find them
or buy a container from china   ;D  they cost less then 8 cent each in china
how many 2"x2"x1/2" filters is it in a container  ::)
ok serious again
try foseco or any other company selling foundry products

in the video John posted here they did actually use the filters wrong, ok it will still filter the metal and remove slag and other impurities,
 but the metal also have hughe posibilities to absorb hydrogen from the air when used as they did .

and I promise you that hydrogen bubbles in the casting is the last thing you want to have
maybe anyone of you remember a group who tried to cast their own full size mortar ,
I think it was some kind of re enacting group , dont remember where they was located .
think it was a link in some post here
their casting was full of bubbles , looked more like a spiders web then a homogen casting
but their problem I think was mold related
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2009, 08:47:21 AM »
Since they used the filters wrong in their video, could you please tell us how to use them properly?

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2009, 09:35:31 AM »
Gulfcoast - That site won't let me in unless I register ??? I did find some suppliers for the filters, but they required large minimums.
It did that to me too, when I clicked the link, but if you paste it into your browser, it should work.  It's a listing of manufacturers, mostly in China.

This is the foundry from the video.  Perhaps if you contact them, they may be able to help, though Dan doesn't like the filters they're using:
http://www.gillmorordnance.com/Foundry.htm

Here some other possible sources:
http://intersourceusa.com/ceramic_filters_2.htm#silicon
http://industrialceramic.com/ceramic-filters/

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #73 on: October 19, 2009, 10:46:27 AM »
nothing wrong with the filters , just how they been used
I attach a sketch how I place them
when they pour through the filters the open air beneth the filters is the problem
maybe not a big problem , but I always try to get the best possible result
so I follow the foseco recomendations
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2009, 01:57:13 PM »
I misinterpreted your comment.  That's good news, though.  Just have to contact that foundry and persuade them to part with a filter or two...

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2009, 05:25:55 AM »
We have limited room at the top of the board for stickies.  We don't want passive posts like stickies to run the active post off the opening page.  I'll figure a way to hook this up to a sticky that we already have so it can be found.

Gary did you check with the guys on the Backyard Metal Casting Forum about a small quantity source for filters?

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2009, 08:34:37 AM »
No . I dont know where to get them .A foundry in Denver said theyed part with some cause there was a broken container .

When I got there the guy says  '...oh ...these are for aluminum , never mind I said bronze over the phone .

My only suggestion would be to call every so often and try to find out when they have a broken box of bronze filter .

I will proly not use one for my first cannon pour   

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2009, 09:04:52 AM »
We have limited room at the top of the board for stickies.  We don't want passive posts like stickies to run the active post off the opening page.  I'll figure a way to hook this up to a sticky that we already have so it can be found.

Gary did you check with the guys on the Backyard Metal Casting Forum about a small quantity source for filters?
Might I suggest the References: Books, the web, and "How to build ..." sticky?

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2009, 09:14:53 AM »
No . I dont know where to get them .A foundry in Denver said theyed part with some cause there was a broken container .

When I got there the guy says  '...oh ...these are for aluminum , never mind I said bronze over the phone .

My only suggestion would be to call every so often and try to find out when they have a broken box of bronze filter .

I will proly not use one for my first cannon pour   
Looks like the iron ones will work as well, and may be easier to find than copper.  (You could try contacting some of the cast barrel manufacturers we know, like Hern, to see if they may help, since you're not trying to infringe on their business).  The aluminum ones have lower working temps.

I just found another manufacturer - this one based in China, on the same website I referenced before that wanted you to register.  On that site, it said they offer free samples!  Here's their company website, so you can contact them if you like: http://www.gzxcl.com/e_pagedata.jsp?ID=060622174431

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2009, 10:17:04 AM »
the cheapest way for you guys to get some filters would be to buy a box of 500 filters from the foundry gary visited and split between you, here in sweden they cost much more then 25 cent each
of course you will get a few filters for free from china , but you are always been asked to pay for the shipping cost and that could be expensive , the express companies aint cheap
I deal a lot with chinese companies and I know that they often send free samples , I got 4 complete sets of letter and figure stamps free just a while ago, but got to pay the shipping cost

or you could contact a chinese manufacturer and listen how much it would cost to buy a box of 200 pcs incl shipping and split it, but you need to calculate with the domestic shipping fee also
I still think it would be cheaper for you to buy 500 from the foundry

the price in china would probably be somewhere around 8-10 cent each, but it depends on size and quantity . I just got 200 filters delivered from china, in the end they cost the same as fosecos filters here in sweden , but I was just curious to compare the chinese with the german filters .
foseco does have filter manufacturing in usa also
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #80 on: October 20, 2009, 05:16:51 PM »
Victor3,
     When I was still living in Torrance and still casting in the El Camino Art Department, I found a casting supplier down in central Torrance.  Never did make it to his store and don't know if it is still there, but it might be worth your time to look around that area.  Can't remember if I found the listing in the Yellow Pages or what.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #81 on: October 20, 2009, 08:32:39 PM »
Victor3,
     When I was still living in Torrance and still casting in the El Camino Art Department, I found a casting supplier down in central Torrance.  Never did make it to his store and don't know if it is still there, but it might be worth your time to look around that area.  Can't remember if I found the listing in the Yellow Pages or what.

Small world, GG. I taught some machining classes at El Camino College about ten years ago.

Thanks for the tip. I'll see if the casting supplier is still in business.

Sherlock Holmes

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #82 on: October 20, 2009, 09:21:44 PM »
There also is a place that has some casting supplies in the City of Industry called Laguna Clay.  I didn't look at everything they have online and didn't see any Foseco filters but they do have refractories and related stuff.  Might be worth a call.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #83 on: October 20, 2009, 09:40:53 PM »
Apparently Foseco has sold the filters business to Süd-Chemie AG.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2009, 04:20:54 PM »
well  8)....wish me luck ! i'll be up all night babysitting the burnout oven begining at midnight ,it is a 14 hour process going to and from differant temps , the results will be be spectaculor ! :o.. tomorrow at about 3:00 pm a 'Smee will be born ' .

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2009, 04:49:31 PM »
Hope all goes well tonight, looking forward to seeing  "Smee" in all it's glory!  ;D

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #86 on: October 22, 2009, 09:23:27 PM »
well  8)....wish me luck ! i'll be up all night babysitting the burnout oven begining at midnight ,it is a 14 hour process going to and from differant temps , the results will be be spectaculor ! :o.. tomorrow at about 3:00 pm a 'Smee will be born ' .

Gary,

Please take a lot of pictures.

I'm sure you'll make a good midwife, and we hope for no birth defects  ;D

Sherlock Holmes

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #87 on: October 23, 2009, 12:52:10 PM »
now its 01 00 am here
so with a time difference of approximately 7 hours I hope to see some pictures soon
Im so curious
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #88 on: October 23, 2009, 01:17:45 PM »
MT and I cast a smee . parts were ok and parts were not ..... :o I ve got some pics but they are not very good . Tracy took lots of good pics .

better pics tomorrow . ;D all in all im a bit disapointed that it didnt just pop out perfect . but the spooltop trunions and dolfins came out ok ...it's an odd tara cotta color .

tomorrow i'll go down to Seacaost Artilery world headquarters and start cleaning it up ....i'll proly keep it as my first

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #89 on: October 23, 2009, 01:35:51 PM »
Well I see a few rough spots........ but don't sell your self short!

I think with some careful work you will have a usable "SMEE" !

If that were my first try I probably wouldn't be satisfied either, that would be the artist talking..........

the machinest/gunsmith would see hope.

You have had more success on your first try than Colonial Williamsburg has had at their attempts

of casting a cannon.
;D