Author Topic: Spitzer bullets in a lever gun?  (Read 365 times)

Offline errn007

• Trade Count: (0)
Spitzer bullets in a lever gun?
« on: October 10, 2009, 02:04:34 AM »
I am wanting to use spitzer bullets in my Marlin 1895 45-70. I know it is unsafe to use this type of bullet in a tubular magazine and at the overall length of 2.81 these cartridges will not even cycle through my gun. So I will be shooting singleshot. My question is will this overall length be unsafe. The 45-70 OAL is 2.55. With the bullet I intend to use the OAL will be 2.81. The bullet will seat at .050in off the lands with the extra OAL being the nose of the bullet. I need good advice so here I am. I will NOT do anything unsafe. Thanks    Tim

Offline Dave in WV

Re: Spitzer bullets in a lever gun?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 05:56:24 AM »
I can't answer your question but I do wonder what you're going to gain using spitzer bullets in a 45-70?  It is still a 45-70.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline kiddekop

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 11:04:58 AM »
I am wanting to use spitzer bullets in my Marlin 1895 45-70. I know it is unsafe to use this type of bullet in a tubular magazine and at the overall length of 2.81 these cartridges will not even cycle through my gun. So I will be shooting singleshot. My question is will this overall length be unsafe. The 45-70 OAL is 2.55. With the bullet I intend to use the OAL will be 2.81. The bullet will seat at .050in off the lands with the extra OAL being the nose of the bullet. I need good advice so here I am. I will NOT do anything unsafe. Thanks    Tim
Before I decided to trade my Mannlicher Schoenauer 30-06 with double set triggers I seriously considered buying an TC Encore 45-70 rifle barrel which would allow me to fire any bullet configuration however I had a single shot remington rolling block in 45-70 for a few years that was way too heavy to tote anywhere.I settled on the Marlin 1895XLR 45-70.I load only appropriate bullets for use in my 45-70.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 12:27:44 PM »
Tim

Ya it will work , however as Dave pointed out theres not much to be gained by using a spitzer type bullet in the 45/70 , your OL distance for shots will not increase while your terminal down range preformance may suffer quite a bit compaired to a large flat nose bullet in the same weight range .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Bob A

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 04:34:06 PM »
You will not be able to cycle / eject an unfired round.
You can free the rim of the cartridge from the ejector with a screwdriver or knife but its a minor pain in the rear.

Bob A

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 07:57:38 AM »

You can free the rim of the cartridge from the ejector with a screwdriver or knife but its a minor pain in the rear.

Bob A

:D That minor pain in the rear may also involve removing the lever and bolt before you can get the cartridge out. ;)
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline PA-Joe

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 08:03:37 AM »
Just use the new Hornady rounds.

Offline errn007

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 01:24:04 PM »
Thank you guys very much! This is advice that I can use. By the way. I will NOT be using spitzers in my lever gun.   Tim