Author Topic: Hi there, first post, need help with a new Handi rifle...  (Read 303 times)

Offline Mwieczorek

• Trade Count: (0)
Hi there, first post, need help with a new Handi rifle...
« on: October 10, 2009, 03:05:33 PM »
Hello all,

I bought a H&R Handi Rifle in .308 last month for an antelope hunting trip.  Since buying the rifle, I've put approximately 60 rounds through it, mostly trying to get it sighted in correctly.  I've tried 3 types of factory ammo and several different handloads based on the Nosler 150 grain ballistic tip and some Remington 165 grain SP's that I had laying around.  I haven't been able to get this thing to group consistenly yet.  What's worse, is it seems like the amount of slop between the barrel and receiver is growing.  When I bought the rifle, with the action closed there was almost no slop (or lash or whatever you want to call it) between the barrel and receiver, it locked up nice and tight.  Now, when I close the action, I can rock the barrel up and down with an audible click, it's enough slop that I can see the barrel shifting in relation to the receiver.  That has got me pretty concerned.  Did the receiver stretch?  Did the barrel lug material yield?  I looked at a buddy's Handi rifle the other day, and his doesn't have any slop in it's lockup like I am seeing with my rifle.  I don't know what is going on, and I'm seriously considering boxing it up and sending it back to H&R to have them look it over.

Any ideas that might help me out on this?

Thanks,

Matt

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Hi there, first post, need help with a new Handi rifle...
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 03:11:27 PM »
Welcome Matt! Sounds like they did a poor job of fitting the barrel, the underlug pivot wasn't likely cut properly and they left burrs that smoothed out and left the action loose, it happens occasionally.  Give them a call and make arrangements to have them send you a prepaid UPS shipping label to get it to Ilion for repair, most likely a new barrel.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Lazermule

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2009, 03:13:16 PM »
I'd wait for the advice of some of the local experts on here before you send it back, but it does sound like you have an issue there that may explain your lack of accuracy.

Was it ever tight or was the slop always there?  Sounds like poor factory fitting to me if it's new....If it's used that could be another thing.

LAZERMULE

If I would have asked the people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse....-Henry Ford

Offline Lazermule

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 03:14:32 PM »
See, as I was typing Tim chimed in.....
LAZERMULE

If I would have asked the people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse....-Henry Ford

Offline Mwieczorek

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2009, 03:19:24 PM »
Thanks for the replys guys!

I bought this rifle brand new from the local Dick's Sporting Goods store.  I know they have a no-return policy on firearms, so its going to have to go back to H&R for repair.

The sad part is that it cost me a couple of decent shots at the antelope.  I ended up borrowing a rifle from one of my hunting buddies to finally get one.

Thanks,

Matt