Author Topic: Hunting, Any good yet  (Read 2074 times)

Offline Zeeks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Hunting, Any good yet
« on: October 10, 2009, 04:47:12 PM »
Howdy   Anybody doing any good huntin this year?
Missed a doe with my crossbow.  Got a small buck on camera and alot of does.  Nothin special.
Did get a couple of doves a few weekends ago.   Fishing nothing.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (13)
Re: Hunting, Any good yet
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2009, 04:53:20 PM »
Went out for the 1st hunt this afternoon, 50 acres my friend set up for hunting, small food plot, deer feeders, 6 ladder or tripod type stands.  I saw 9 deer, all does or yearlings. Should be able to see some bucks during the rut on this property.
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline Catfish

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 04:19:08 PM »
The deer aren`t moveing much yet. If you can get into an area that they are in they will probly be there for several days. In another 10 days or so the prerut should start to pick up and the bucks will start to move more and they will get the does stured up in a few days and hunting will be off to the races.

Offline Zeeks

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 02:12:26 PM »
The 12th of Sept I had a nice 8pt come thru. From then till about 30th I would have 7 - 12 does show up.  After the 1st, I had small bucks till they started to take the corn and beans off.  Now 8pt, 10pt & one 12pt.  and  about 3 does is all I'm seeing.  Heck the racoons have a party about every nite.  They have gone thru 50 pounds of corn.  Once a week, I still get a red fox.  They even eat with the deer.  Everything has been at nite thou,  after I leave the blind or stand.  Now that I'm workin shutdown, I just cant get out in time.    Had a big coyote come thru and I didnt see anything for 4-5 days.

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 04:22:03 PM »
Deer have been prancing through my yard regularly for a couple of weeks usually when I'm at work or don't have a bow handy.  My wife called my attention to deer in my yard this evening and I got one of the three with a crossbow.  This would be my first ever bow killed deer!

Offline Zeeks

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 01:20:26 PM »
Good for you!  I'm still trying for #1 myself.  I'm presently 0-2. But its still early.  I think the warm weather we are experiencing lately has got them running at night. 

Offline Zeeks

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 01:22:08 PM »
What kind of crossbow are you shooting?  This is my first year with a crossbow.  Any advice you have came across?
thanks   

Offline buckeye509

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 03:04:15 PM »
On Friday morning I had spent about 2 1/2 hours in a ground blind and decided to get out for a stretch since nothing was happening.  I soon startled two does that were feeding on acorns. I was camoed and they only ran off a little ways. I took a small doe as it presented the best shot at about 35 yards. Hit was right on the shoulder and the 125 grain 3 blade Muzzy went right thru. They both ran full tilt away but I saw it was a good shot and heard the impact.  I found the doe expired, after a 50 yard run, in the middle of the dirt road in front of my place in Carroll County..  The best part it was only a 20 yard drag to the truck. I was using a Hunters/TenPoint crossbow, 175 lb, with a Bushnell Trophy 1x28 red dot sight. The meat has since been ground up using a Sam Baere grinder. Should be some good chili or tacos. Muzzys' work, period end of story.

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 04:37:41 PM »
Good for you!  I'm still trying for #1 myself.  I'm presently 0-2. But its still early.  I think the warm weather we are experiencing lately has got them running at night.

The crossbow is a Horton I have on very extended loan from my stepson.  It's not scoped but surprisingly (to me at least) accurate.

As for advice, I'm afraid that I as a neophyte bowhunter have little to offer except that with a bow you will have to wait for your quarry to come to you and have very little chance of getting one by still hunting or spot and stalk.  Also, it's important to get up above the ground since deer apparently don't look up; I guess it's because nothing has been jumping out of trees at them for several hundred years.

Offline Zeeks

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 03:35:44 PM »
Buckeye, good job.  Maybe if you would of left the tail gate down she would of loaded herself. haha   Last nite while I was sitting on the front deck, calling around to see how everybody was doing.  I had a 4x4 buck 10 yards from my blind out back.   Thats the type of year I have had.  Blind in the morning, treestand in the evening, no deer.  Decide not to hunt that day, check my cameras the next day and there they are.  Or they show up 15 to 20 minutes after I quit or show up.
I feed them about every day or two.  Just like my dog,  Im the biscuit guy.

Offline buckeye509

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 03:55:06 PM »
I've had trail cameras out for several months now. the only bucks photographed are a couple of buttons, a spike, and a fork-horn 4 pointer. I have not see hide, hair, or digital image of a "big buck" in my area of operations in Carroll County. Last evening I was in my newly acquired Primos ground blind set up near a creek crossing. I heard a buck give a couple grunts in the distance but he did not respond to my Doe-in-Esterous all in a can.  Around dusk a family group of three does eased into view as if via transporter. I never get over being amazed at how they just sort of appear out of the brush. The way they were just nosing the ground for acorns, and their matter-of-fact wariness, moving slowly through the grove of trees is just so cool to me. I didn't have  a shot and probably wouldn't have taken one had there been an opportunity, getting to close to dark and was content just watching. Today I moved a tree stand to a nice sturdy beech, with plenty of limbs, and called it until gun season. I have a TC Contender with a Bullberry 12" SS barrel in 44 Magnum ready to go with 300 grain WFN w/GC (Leadheads). Vacations over and back to work Monday.  Best of luck to you.

Offline team101

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 01:32:03 PM »
Buck activity seems to have increased this week.  Necks are getting swollen on the ones I am seeing.

Offline Zeeks

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2009, 02:29:15 PM »
Yep,  Definitly the rut is starting to come around.  I seen bucks following does.  The pictures of the big bucks don't show signs of swollen necks thou.  But the big boys are starting to show up.   NW Ohio

Offline buckshooter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 04:34:13 AM »
My Dad shot a 10 point buck with his bow on November 1.  He shot it at 25 yards broadside, right in the lung.  He said, that if he didn't have his grunt call, he would not have got this buck close enough to shot.  I live in Bergholz, OH.  This morning on my way to work and I saw a gigantic 10 point buck following a doe.  This means the chase period has just begun, for anyone who lives in Jefferson county.

hope this helps

buckshooter   
"When guns are outlawed only the outlaws have guns."  by Louis L'Amoure

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." by President Ronald Reagan

Offline buckeye509

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 03:53:56 PM »
Next year my vacation will be the first two weeks of November. I came to that conclusion watching a big ol buck loping across a soybean field on Monday morning on my way back to work on Toronto. You saying the bucks are really running supports my conclusion.

Offline ttank0789

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2009, 07:35:17 AM »
I got a small doe on the second day of the season. It was my first bow kill too! She was on the same trail the joker in my avatar was on. I posted a trail cam pic of another nice buck walking on that same trail. The pic was taken at 11:43 AM on October 29th. I had to zoom in on the pic in order to get a good look at the rack and then I cropped it so it wasn't enormous so that's why the time and date info isn't on it.
His neck looks pretty swollen which is always a good sign of the times

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,187298.0.html

"The most dangerous moment comes with victory."  
                                       -Napoleon Bonaparte-

"Have I not commanded you? Be Strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."
                                       -Joshua 1:9-

Offline foo

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2009, 02:29:33 PM »
The bucks are just starting to move during the daytime now, in Miami county. I dropped a 10pt about 10:15 this morning. I was above a scrape line that has had a lot ot actvity the last couple of nights on the trail cameras , but nothing during the daytime. Got my 1st past thru shot with a Xbow,the shot was from about 12 yds. The Xbow is a  Horton Explorer, Red Dot sight, and 100grain 3 blade Spitfire. Yes it was a Good Day.

Offline Zeeks

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2009, 01:26:22 PM »
Congrats     Im still trying.   I have noticed deer are moving in the morning times

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2009, 02:48:27 PM »
Nothing yet here. I haven't been seeing too many either.  I hope things change soon!
S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us

Offline ttank0789

• Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2009, 05:24:08 AM »
I saw a couple small bucks fight this morning! I had never seen that before so it was pretty cool to watch!
"The most dangerous moment comes with victory."  
                                       -Napoleon Bonaparte-

"Have I not commanded you? Be Strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."
                                       -Joshua 1:9-

Offline BIG Dog454

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2009, 10:46:02 AM »
My son Got a nice 8 pt buck with his bow. He's got 2 does and a buck so far this year.  I told him to quit now caus the freezers full.

Offline BIG Dog454

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2009, 11:06:15 AM »
My hunting partner shot a 10 pt buck on opening day (shotgun).

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2009, 03:42:20 PM »
Took a doe Mon.morning with my Handi 20 ga. Good sized too. Will be hunting again this weekend.

Offline Zeeks

• Avid Poster
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2009, 03:44:10 PM »
Heading down to Tar Hollow State Forest for the last weekend on gun season.  Hope we have some luck.  3 out 7 of us got deer on the first 2 days of open gun season.   I got zero!.   Anybody have any ideas of where to go, since 2 of us are returning.  That was my 1st time down there.  I have heard of Meades and Scioto State Forest.

Offline FredWT

• Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2009, 06:34:57 PM »
I hunted the bonus gun weekend. Hunted all weekend in the new snow and did not see a thing! How about the rest of you guys?

Offline Zeeks

• Avid Poster
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2009, 02:43:24 AM »
Went to Tar Hollow Horse Camp Saturday morning.  3 whole people in camp.  Did not even see a any tracks or deer except on the way there along the road.  Nothing...   Zip...   Roads were terrible.   Woodpeckers & Crows.

Offline Jal5

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2009, 03:49:19 AM »
Great pic Fred!

I got the doe opening day of gun week, then tried again on Sat. morning but spooked two deer walking into my spot in the morning so saw nothing there. In the afternoon I sat in a new to me spot and there was a patch of pine trees to my left and scrub trees to my right, while behind me was the property line and row of houses about 200 yds beyond that.  I figured it right because around 230 pm 4 deer came walking in along the pine tree line right towards my pop up ground blind!  I had the 357 mag and put the open sights on the lead doe....and cleanly missed hitting low.  I paced it later making sure there was no blood or hair anywhere on the snow and it was about 40 paces.  That is a little far for me with this pistol and open sights. At the sound they all took off the way they came in so I didn't get any second chances.

No deer but it was exciting anyway. Maybe I will do better during ML to fill that last tag.

Joe

Offline FredWT

• Avid Poster
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2009, 05:32:09 AM »
Actually I did OK. Saw this nice buck on the trail cam, hunted him for a week, saw him 3 different times, got him with the crossbow before Thanksgiving. The handgun doe taken on Saturday of gunweek with a T/C in .375 Win.

Offline Zeeks

• Avid Poster
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2009, 09:17:07 AM »
Nice job.  Congrats.   As of this morning, nothing has come around in the last 4 days...   Must of went back to the tank plant here.  sucks

Offline stimpylu32

• Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2009, 11:56:39 AM »
Zeeks

To bad we can't get into the tank farm there on Buckeye road next to the RR tracks , those big boys in there have it way too good , just eating , breeding and getting fat .  ;D

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped