Author Topic: Reloading manual?  (Read 315 times)

Offline doninva

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Contributor
Reloading manual?
« on: October 11, 2009, 04:01:01 AM »
I loaded for about 20 years and am getting back into it. I don't think I need a how to manual, I could be wrong :D. Which manual would give the most choices of powder and bullets for 204, 270 and 300 win mag.

Offline pmeisel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Reloading manual?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 06:28:39 AM »
I have always thought Lyman provided the most variety.  The bullet maker manuals only list loads for bullets they sell, which usually leaves gaps.

Of course if you only use jacketed bullets of one brand, then that maker's bullet manual will do fine.

Just checked, my Lyman 49 does have 204 Ruger loads with several powder choices.  No need to check the other two, it will have plenty.

Offline doninva

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 07:51:56 AM »
Thanks for the info. I will get one of their manuals. Don

Offline wncchester

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 08:27:46 AM »
Lyman is excellant.  Maybe the Hodgdon manual has the most data.

The info from any bullet maker is no more helpful than others, it's all generic by bullet weight and powder anyway.  I mean, the largest "change" we can possibly make to any book data isn't the bullet, it's the firearm it will be used in!  Everything is  accounted for in the simple rule, "Start low and only work up if ...." ect.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline LHitchcox

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 10:13:05 AM »
I like to have the manuals for the components I plan to use. If am using Hornady bullets, I want Hornady data. Same for Nosler, etc. I agree that the Lyman is the best all round.

There are so many new components that it is good to keep up with new manuals. To use an example from shotshell reloading, I used the same load for 25 years, Same hulls, wads, powder. I go to buy a fresh supply and my favorite wad and powder have been discontinued. I had to start from scratch with new components. I even had to buy a new powder bushing.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 10:18:50 AM »
Get all the FREE powder maker manuals since they cost nothing. I always say the minimum to have is the Lyman manual plus the manuals from your bullet maker and powder maker. While data from bullet switching can be minimal it can also be a LOT. Some premium bullets do require different data than standar cup and core bullets and using cup and core data with them isn't a good idea.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!