Author Topic: Slug gun proves to shoot ok!  (Read 785 times)

Offline andrewtheelder38

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Slug gun proves to shoot ok!
« on: October 11, 2009, 10:33:27 AM »
I bought a 20 gauge smooth bore nef shotgun a couple of years ago and tried 20-gauage remington sluggers in it last year but without rifle sights the birdshot barrel proved unreliable in aiming.....but I had a 12 guage rifles nef barrel laying around from years ago with the old square notched click adjustable sights.....and I had a plethora of brenneke ko knockout slugs....so i tried the 12 gauge bbl on and it locked up tight, fired it once from the hip and it held tight so i tried it at 25 yards and then 50 yards and it shot almost as well as the 45-70.....not bad for a second hand leftover barrel and a strange frame and buttstock.

Gotta bench rest it and adjust the windage as it shoots about 4 inches to the right but it prints a decent 4 or 5 inch circle at 50 yards from a seated position so I am more than happy right now......

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
Re: Slug gun proves to shoot ok!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 10:40:00 AM »
 get some 20ga KO's and try them in the 20ga smooth bore... :o
they do great for me!!!!!!!! cloverleaf at 75 yrds.. and a heck of a lot less recoil than the 12 !!!
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 04:04:34 PM »
I would bet that you can do even better than that with that rifled slug barrel...You just need to try different sabot slug ammo...I am sure that you will find one that will cut that group down considerably...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 02:09:03 AM »
I would bet that you can do even better than that with that rifled slug barrel...You just need to try different sabot slug ammo...I am sure that you will find one that will cut that group down considerably...

I agree with WNY. My 20 gauge smoothbore with do groups that size with the bead sight so I would think you can at least cut that group in half and probably much more. I've heard good things about the Brenneke's and the Remington Buckhammers.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline andrewtheelder38

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 03:20:37 PM »
...I was shooting from a seated position with a sling....I did not have a table or bench to rest from....and it was the 4th gun I had sighted in and shot that day .....the old shoulder was getting pretty tender......the elevation adjustment was perfect three shots made a neat little row like this O...O....O and the fourth and fifth were just the left and below at 50 yards....and all were about 4 inches right of the point of aim so i need to take a tiny little screwdriver and adjust the sights. I also have 3 or 4 more kinds of slugs to try.......still have 19 days till opening day so should get it sighted in by then.  .....I tried remington elcheapo sluggers in the bird barrel 20 guage last year and they were inaccurate but will try some brennekes and some winchesters.......

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 08:55:22 PM »
Good luck...
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense