Author Topic: Lee Hand press  (Read 623 times)

Offline kinslayer1965

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Lee Hand press
« on: October 12, 2009, 04:19:07 PM »
Anybody have any experience with the Lee Hand press.

I used to handload quite a few years ago with a rock chucker but sold all my stuff when I got divorced. I want to get back into it but dont have a huge amount of room to dedicate to reloading. I have heard some good things about the Lee hand press and thought I would throw the question out there to see what you guys think.

I have just recently purchased a 45 long colt and a 500 S&W. So I am going to need to get into reloading if I plan on shooting them as much as I would like to. If you guys have any other ideas they would be welcome as well.
A man without a stick will get bitten, even by sheep.

Offline ncsurveyor

• Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Lee Hand press
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 04:38:11 PM »
FL sizing is a little tough on rifle cartridges but  I use it for neck sizing/depriming and bullet seating/crimping.

To your question I also do all my pistol loading on the Lee hand press, 44, 380, and now 357.

It will do fine on your pistol ammo.

I like it.  And I keep it and all of it's peripherals in a tackle box in the closet.  When I need it I have the hand press, primer, scale, dies, and bullets and powder all in the box.

Bang out 50, and put it all away when I am done.

Offline chutesnreloads

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 04:52:49 PM »
Got mine to reload at the range.Had no problems with it but only used it a couple times.

Offline JASmith

• Avid Poster
    • Shooter's Notes — Improving your sight picture!
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 04:53:21 PM »
I've loaded .38 Special, .222 Rem Magnum and .270 Win with it.  My son has loaded 7.62X54R with it.  Works fine!

Lee dies come with a powder scoop that works after a fashion, but you would probably be very happy adding a powder scale and loading block to hold cases for convenience, including checking powder levels.

Next in the convenience scale is a good mid-price powder measure.  After that I would add a hand-held priming tool -- priming with the Lee tool can get tedious.

You can do a LOT of reloading with this collection and be very happy with your results!

Good luck!

Offline kinslayer1965

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 05:11:52 PM »
Thanks for the responses. I am starting to think that it might be a good idea. I will be limiting the calibers to those mentioned and perhaps some .243 for hunting loads. Want to keep everything simple.

I think the powder measure and primer tool are good ideas.

Thanks again for the info.
A man without a stick will get bitten, even by sheep.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 11:42:34 PM »
ive loaded 10s of thousands of rounds on them. Actually wore out two of them. I dont use them much anymore but there a good little press. Only down side ive found with them is theres enough spring in them that they dont allways size down rifle brass enough. It is mostly noticeable in the loading for something like the ar15.
blue lives matter

Offline lostchild

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 02:00:11 AM »
I have a Lee hand press I load for the .45acp and colt, 9mm,708,308,and243. I keep mine in a tool box with powder all my dies a scale, powder measure hand primer and aloading block,  the primers and bullets are kept in the top tray.  A side note I also have a Hornady progressive press, the dies don't need to be re adjusted when switched between these two presses hope this helps....lost

Offline jlchucker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 03:42:04 AM »
I've used one for years.  Once, after selling a house and living temporarily in a small apartment, I found this tool to be just what I needed to continue reloading under crowded conditions where I couldn't set up a regular bench mounted press.  It worked for me, at that time, loading some fairly conventional rifle ammo.  I had no pistols at the time to load for.  Since then, I've always kept one of these around.  Now, I find it handy mostly for when I need to do something and don't want to tear down a setup on my Lee Classic Cast Press.  The hand tool and one of Lee's all-in-one Speed Dies in 44 magnum make up for most of what I need to make up a compact little travel setup for my 44 mag rifle.  The hand tool is pretty versatile, and good to have around, even if you've got a fully equipped loading area.

Offline JASmith

• Avid Poster
    • Shooter's Notes — Improving your sight picture!
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 03:51:10 AM »
I keep mine in a tool box with powder all my dies a scale, powder measure hand primer and aloading block,  the primers and bullets are kept in the top tray.  A side note I also have a Hornady progressive press, the dies don't need to be re adjusted when switched between these two presses hope this helps....lost

Duh! -- Why didn't I think of that!  What size (or brand & model) works for you?

BTW -- Thanks for the tip about the Hornady Progressive -- one of my other sons (the rich one!) recently gave me one of these & am waiting to clear enough space (!!) to set it up. 

Offline mangulator

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 04:41:12 AM »
Bought one several years ago. I like it and easy to use.

Offline Sensai

• Avid Poster
  • Takeoffs are optional, landings are manditory!
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 06:03:50 AM »
Good little press! Very handy, and you use standard dies unlike the 310 tool.  I have a full reloading bench, but I find myself using the Lee portable press for small runs of loads. :)
Life's too short to waste any of it,

Gary

Offline lostchild

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 06:38:43 AM »
JASmith my tool box is a black and decker wall-mart special ( has the flaps on top) My dies are a mix of Lee and RCBS both brands of dies will enterchange between both presses ( at least in my case).  The Lee hand press cant use the lock and load incerts but the older Hornady presses will interchange.  You might try using washers as spacers to keep from having to readjust your dies.  Hope this helps.....lost