Author Topic: Tree Rats Beware!  (Read 1156 times)

Offline Wolfgang

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Tree Rats Beware!
« on: October 13, 2009, 02:23:35 AM »
Hello All,

It's about 8:15 A.M. and I'm getting ready to head out the door to a couple of new to me woods that I got permission to hunt a couple miles from my new house.  Neighbor and I hit it off and he took me around to his properties.  About 150 acres of woods in all.  Then I ran into another neighbor when he had locked his keys in his car and I unlocked it for him.  He told me to stop over and he would take me around to his woods so I could hunt them.

Me, the old Winchester bolt action, and the old Ruger Single Six are getting ready walk out the door and see about inviting Mr. Bushytail home for supper.  I took tomorrow off as well and my hunting companions will be the same except the Winchester has things to do around the house and the Marlin 39A will come along.

Wish me luck!  I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Wolfgang
"We have awakened a sleeping giant and filled him with a terrible resolve."

Offline buckeye509

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Tree Rats Beware!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 11:47:47 AM »
Good Luck. Let us know!

Offline Wolfgang

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 04:48:57 PM »
Two today. :)  The dog gone wind was nasty and although there were lots of squirrels, they were constantly on the move. Guess we'll see what happens tomorrow.

Wolfgang

Offline stimpylu32

• Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 01:25:16 PM »
2s better than nuttin , atleast you got to go out , I've been stuck at work . :P :o >:( ;D :)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Wolfgang

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 03:04:44 PM »
Yeah,  I was happy to get out.  Was going to go back out on Wed. but the weather went to H#%L and didn't feel like getting soaked.  :-\   Hopefully this weekend again. :)

Offline Wolfgang

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 12:56:42 PM »
Well Stimpy,  I managed to get out again this afternoon and the Marlin 39A invited a couple more tree rats home for supper. ;D  There are too many leaves still on the dog gone trees!  You can't hardly see the little buggers.  I'm almost to the point of grabbing a shotgun.  Another set of fixin's for some squirrel gravy anyway.  Had to cut it short as the little guy is sick and mom called saying that he was crying for me to come home so now we're sitting on the couch watching cartoons. :-\.  Talk with ya later.

Wolfgang

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 01:39:11 PM »
Well Stimpy,  I managed to get out again this afternoon and the Marlin 39A invited a couple more tree rats home for supper. ;D  There are too many leaves still on the dog gone trees!  You can't hardly see the little buggers.  I'm almost to the point of grabbing a shotgun.  Another set of fixin's for some squirrel gravy anyway.  Had to cut it short as the little guy is sick and mom called saying that he was crying for me to come home so now we're sitting on the couch watching cartoons. :-\.  Talk with ya later.

Wolfgang
   great priorities 
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline Wolfgang

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 04:08:19 PM »
And That Means???

Offline Zeeks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 02:17:49 PM »
Heck get in a tree stand or a blind with a bow and have the farts pester you.  Heck I put a pellet gun in the blind just to take care of it and nothing shows up.  Humm, maybe they know something.

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 09:16:43 AM »
Well, my 11 year old finally got his first squirrel. He's been pestering me the last couple weeks to get out. So, today, no school, got some time in the woods. We have about 3 acre's of tree's, and lots of targets. Had one staring at me, so the boy walked around the other side of the tree, got a shot off and just about knocked him out of the tree. (He's using a .17cal Gamo), but, he hit the ground running. Managed to get back up his home tree, and disapeared in his hole. My boy felt bad, and said he wanted to wait him out. So we sat under a tree for about 20-25 minute's, and he came back out. Nathan got another shot, put him on the ground. He put a finishing shot in the back of his head, and my 8 year old got to carry him up to the outside picnic table for the cleaning. Our dinner guest now reside's in a small bucket of salt water, getting ready to be the main attraction. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline Wolfgang

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 10:45:27 AM »
Awsome gypsyman! Tell your son great job!  Nothing ever really beats that first one.  I hope his (and your) hunting carreer is a long and happy one.  Stay safe.

Wolfgang

Offline Zeeks

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2009, 01:47:20 PM »
Thats a great story.  Wait till he gets back to school.   Thats what makes memories!!!   Congrats

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2009, 11:21:22 AM »
2 days before Christmas, wife was working, and the boys were out of school. I was working in the house, and my oldest boy asked if he could go out back squirrel hunting. So I said no problem, and off he went. Looked out the back window a short time later, and there's 2 tails hanging off the picnic table, and Nathan is out standing next to a tree. Wasn't 10 minute's later, he stepped in the house and asked if 3 was enough for the day. So I told him to bring them in and we'll clean them in the basement. When we got to the second one, flipped it over, and he made the comment, look at the size of the kahonies on that one. I couldn't help but laugh so hard. Said, ya, there will be some disappointed female squirrels in the spring. I told him not to worry, there'll be more to take his place. Their in the freezer, just waiting for another wild game dinner. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline hillbill

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2009, 01:00:45 PM »
me and my gfrens yungest son, mikel, who is 14 went out squirrel hunting the other day and got about 10 or 12. he never seen hunting like that. we seen a lot more but since we had 22's some of them got away. we did git 4 out of tree and 3 out of another.several were young ones or females. yu could def tell the diff when we cooked them. the older males were way tougher than the younger ones and the females.we boiled them for bout 45 min then breaded and fried them in bout 1/2 of oil. awesum meal.i had the leftover squirrels for supper a couple days later and they were still good.i got a pressure cooker from santa and am hopeing it will maybe tenderize them old tree rats afore i fry them.happy hunting boys!!!!

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2009, 03:23:50 PM »
You guys are givin me the itch to go squirrel huntin.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett