Author Topic: 270 win.  (Read 1259 times)

Offline zacharoo

• Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
270 win.
« on: October 13, 2009, 02:48:44 AM »
I have two 270win. one a remington model 700 and a TC single shot rifle. Both shot factory Rem. express 130 gr. ammo great. Anyone out there have a load close to factory specks with either IMR 4350 or IMR4895. I have a lot of brass and perjectiles. Remington brass and 130 gr. PSPCL
 I have no way of mesuring speed though.  The remington factory ammo is getting so expensive and I have the stuff to reload. I have about 4 or 5 boxes left of factory. Now my son-in -law just bought a 270 and he gets good accuracy with factory. I would like to duplicate factory specks. I don't have a lot of money to spend experamenting. Can someone get me close.
Zacharoo

Offline John R.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: 270 win.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 08:11:55 AM »
55 grs. of IMR 4350 is a max load for 130 gr. bullets. That load has always shot good in the 270's I've loaded for. Back off of that a couple of grs. to start with, and you should be good to go.

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 10:09:12 AM »
Try

http://www.reloadersnest.com

lots of loads there.

Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 11:11:57 AM »

I have two 270win. one a remington model 700 and a TC single shot rifle. Both shot factory Rem. express 130 gr. ammo great. Anyone out there have a load close to factory specks with either IMR 4350 or IMR4895. I have a lot of brass and perjectiles. Remington brass and 130 gr. PSPCL
 I have no way of mesuring speed though.  The remington factory ammo is getting so expensive and I have the stuff to reload. I have about 4 or 5 boxes left of factory. Now my son-in -law just bought a 270 and he gets good accuracy with factory. I would like to duplicate factory specks. I don't have a lot of money to spend experamenting. Can someone get me close.
Zacharoo

I understand your need to have a ready made load, but its not safe practice to jump right to maximum charges.  The 270 Winchester cartridge, IMR-4350 and 130 grain bullets are a good mix, but you will need to start at minimum and slowing work your way to achieve the best accuracy in all your rifles.  Safety should overshadow money or time or whatever you can conjure up.  Furthermore, don’t fall into the speed hype, safe accurate loads should be your only goal.

The best place for load data is the IMR-4350 powder manufacture, see link below.
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

yooper77

Offline securitysix

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 10:51:13 PM »
Zacharoo

I understand your need to have a ready made load, but its not safe practice to jump right to maximum charges.  The 270 Winchester cartridge, IMR-4350 and 130 grain bullets are a good mix, but you will need to start at minimum and slowing work your way to achieve the best accuracy in all your rifles.  Safety should overshadow money or time or whatever you can conjure up.  Furthermore, don’t fall into the speed hype, safe accurate loads should be your only goal.

The best place for load data is the IMR-4350 powder manufacture, see link below.
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

yooper77

I'll second this.  It's a lot cheaper to work up slowly than it is to pay the doctor to pick bits of your rifle out of your face. 

Offline spinafish

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 02:37:47 PM »
Look up the ballistics of your factory round from the manufacturers web-site, then try to find a matching speed with the same bullet weight in your reloading data.  of course, you will have to work up if its near max.. My favorite .270 load is 130  grain Hornady with one grain below max of H-4831 or H-4831 SC.
the most heartwreching words any man will ever hear
"depart from me, I never knew you"  Jesus
We may ignore, but we can nowhere evade the presence of God. The world is crowded with Him. He walks everywhere incognito.” C.S. Lewis

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 01:14:23 AM »
I've shot the 270 Win for about 17 years now and reloaded 10's of thousands of rounds.  The advice to start low and work up is SOUND.  Why go to MAX and pay that price over years of service, when a suitable, just as dead, hunting combination can be loaded with less powder and the "savings" that offers over time?  Italicized because you are gonna shoot just as much one way or the other.  Why not spend fewer dollars for all that fun?

I can visually see when the load and rifle/bullet combination are well suited for one another by the way the groups tighten up on paper at the range.  I can't tell the difference at the shot and the game can't tell the difference at impact whether the bullet is traveling 25 or 50 feet per second SLOWER than a faster (i.e. more powder) bullet.  Dead is dead - right?

What I want is the confidence to KNOW that when I point the gun at something and pull the trigger, that bullet is going to go EXACTLY where I pointed it.  If I can get that confidence with less powder - WOO HOO!

Work up a load that gives YOU confidence and forget all the rest.  MEAT is what you really want.  You can't eat horns...

Offline nodlenor

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 03:51:01 AM »
I agree to start low and work up because max isn't the same in every rifle. The load I have used for years is 44gr of Imr4895. While not max, it is very accurate in my rifle. It is not a hot load but an accurate one.
Self government without self discipline will not work; Paul Harvey

Offline ihookem

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 04:39:28 PM »
IMR 4350 with 54gr behing a 130 gr. coreloc. Bear, deer, accurate. It kicks though, load it down some for practice if you want.