Author Topic: BP pistol for hunting  (Read 4096 times)

Offline blhof

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: BP pistol for hunting
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2010, 02:40:08 PM »
If any of your spare cylinders are from Ballistix, they already hold 45+ grains of powder with the conical; they're bored deeper than the Ruger factory cylinder.  I managed to get 2 Ballistix cylinders for mine as well as the R&D for all round fun.  Used cylinders come up for auction from time to time, all mine were previously owned, shoot well and about 1/2 the cost of new.

Offline shot1

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2010, 03:33:05 AM »
I have a friend that uses a Colt Army copy to kill deer. He uses it like he would a bow. No shots over 40 yards and you have to pick shot placement (double lung or nothing is his motto). He uses 35 grs FFFG and a round ball.

I once had a CVA mountain pistol in 50 cal. I never shot a deer with it but I did have to shoot a wild BIG German Shepard dog in self defense with it. I was shooting at a makeshift range that was at a dump site. I was getting ready for deer season and was shooting my muzzle loading rifle CVA 50 cal mountain rifle and matching pistol. I kept hearing something behind me but when I would look I would see nothing. I had just fired my rifle and took off my ear muffs and I heard something again behind me. There was a drop off bank behind me. I had the pistol loaded so I picked it up and walked back to see over the bank. When I got to the edge of the bank there was this BIG shepard dog with foam coming out of it's mouth. It was about 60 yards from me. The moment it saw me it started growling and started up that bank after me. I dropped the pistol down and right at 40 yards fired a shot into it's chest. That dog stopped in mid stride as if it hit a brick wall and dropped, kicked a few times and that was it. There was a pond of gathered water behind where the dog was and I saw the slug hit the water. I was using 60 grs FFG and a patched Speer swaged .490 ball. It went completely through that BIG dog. I am sure that something like the Lyman planes pistol in 50 or 54 cal would take out a deer inside 50 yards.

There are guys over on another forum that specializes in pistols that have T/C Encore and Contenders that they have either had muzzle loading barrels made or just cut down a rifle barrel to 14 to 16". They use them for very effective deer and hog hunting.

Offline JimFromTN

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2010, 04:14:14 AM »
I got my ROA yestarday in the mail.  It looks and feels awesome.  I think I am going to order a lee 220gr conical bullet mold next.