Author Topic: For the record  (Read 810 times)

Offline Specklebelly

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
For the record
« on: October 13, 2009, 02:26:01 PM »
It is the early morning light of the major hunting seasons in Oklahoma.  Why is no one talking?

I will start.  This Friday I am taking my son on a controlled deer hunt.  I sure hope he gets one as he has never shot a deer.

I went dove hunting a few times but only shot three.  Went teal hunting a couple of times but spent most of my teal season working or with family obligations.

Going to Kansas in a few weeks to shoot some ringnecks.

What about you?
Specklebelly

Romans 5:8
Mark 12:28-31

Offline securitysix

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: For the record
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 11:01:39 PM »
Maybe they're all out hunting?

I don't actually hunt (because I'm lazy), but I do some pest control around the house.  Mostly possums, very rarely a raccoon.  I'd shoot every coyote in the state if they'd ever come around when I happen to be armed, but no, they wait till I've decided to step outside unarmed, and even then, they stay out of sight.  Clever critters, those. 

I've noticed the rabbits seem thicker around the house this year than they normally are, or maybe I'm just up and out more at night than normal so I see more of the nocturnal ones.  The deer have been wandering around in our pasture and our neighbors' pastures, too, which I'm glad to see.

Offline Cecil

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 03:33:48 AM »
Anyone know how the bear season's going
Cecil

Offline jwv

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 10:10:01 AM »
I don't know how up to date this report is that is listed on the Okla. Dept. web site, but here is what they have so far.
"Bear Harvest Status: As of today 15 bears have been harvested and the season is still open."

To participate in the bear archery season, you must have purchased a license before midnight Oct. 1. Bear archery season will be open Oct. 1 through Nov. 1, 2009 and muzzleloader season will be open Oct. 24 through Nov. 1.
All bear hunting will be closed once the quota of 20 bears has been harvested. Hunters should continue to call this number each day before going bear hunting.
ObamaCare-----When injustice becomes law resistance becomes duty.     Thomas Jefferson

Offline pigguy

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 02:18:38 PM »
Taking my nephew for the youth hunt.He is 8 yrs old,got his 1st deer last year.He has been practicing and doing real well.He says he going for ole drop tine this year, I hope he gets em.I will post sunday night of our results.Good luck this hunting season to yall, and most important,STAY SAFE!!!!!

Offline mattmillerrx

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 04:47:46 PM »
I am wishing I could go.  Maybe in two week I will get to go.  But it is looking more like three.  Deer hunting that is.  I did get to do a couple of days worth of dove hunting last month and did really well.  It was one of the best seasons I can remember for dove.  I am planning to hit the range after work tomorrow and and sight in a couple of rifles and a couple of pistols for gun season.  After working up some loads this last year and changing out scopes and all the other stuff we do.  I have found myself with only one gun that is sighted in properly.

While setting stuff up and dove hunting I did see a lot of quail.  I am expecting a good quail season this year as well.  Last year was a good one too. 

What is the predator report looking like?  I have seen very few coyotes were I hunt in western oklahoma.  The bobcats seem to be doing well, at least last year they seemed thick but have not seen any as of yet this year but have not been out and about at the right times lately either.

I can say the deer report in my area as far as numbers go is on the rise.  It seems as though every doe I saw over the summer had twins on it