Author Topic: Barral break-in on SRH 454  (Read 594 times)

Offline jonesjj

• Trade Count: (0)
Barral break-in on SRH 454
« on: October 11, 2003, 10:41:23 AM »
Hi All,
I should have my new SRH 454 in 7 1/2" by nexed thursday or so, I was wondering what would be a good way to lap or break it in ?

To just shoot it would be lots of $ in ammo and some what tireing on the old hands (recoil).

Any sugjestions would be appreciated.

Jeff

Offline Varmint Hunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2003, 11:35:15 AM »
I haven't heard of "breaking in" a pistol barrel. Some shooters don't even believe in breaking in a rifle barrel. Many do it because they think they should. Choice is yours.

I have a relatively new SRH 454 and just loaded up some ammo and started practicing. Although my groups get better with each trip to the range, I think this is just the beneft of practice and not related to breaking in the barrel.

VH

Offline jonesjj

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2003, 03:12:20 PM »
VH,
I have done it on some of my rifles but never on a pistol eather, well I will just shoot it and go from ther.

I want to use it for harvesting a white tail this yr, so maybe I will just get to the range and get some factory ammo through it and get used to shooting it and then I will have some thing to reload down the road.

Offline 454Puma

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2003, 05:30:38 AM »
jonesjj
 Is this your first Bigbore? If not and you have been shooting 44 mag/41 mag then you should be alright with the 454- recoil is stout espectially with factory stuff.  There is no need to "Brake in the barrel" you will have to find what shoot's good in that particular pistol though- mine favors 300 grs either cast or jacketed. And if you want to shoot alot cheap you'll have to reload -unless you have deep pockets- factory ammo is way to expensive!! :grin:
One shot , One Kill

Offline jonesjj

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2003, 07:19:30 AM »
454Puma
I have been shooting 44 mag in the past so I am ready for the recoil, I will be using this gun stricly for hunting for now so I figure about 120 round in it a yr to stay current with it.

I reload all my .45 and .40 along with 12 ga for clay sports.

Come the 2nd or 3rd yr I will have enough brass to start realoading it, I am a little short to set up for that now I am getting another reloader for shotgun.

I plan on getting 3-4 diff factory loads and see what groups the best for now and go from there.

Jeff

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2003, 05:43:47 PM »
The best way would be to load up about 10,000 rounds of ammo. When you have emptied them all consider it broken it.  :-D  Seriously just shoot it and have fun. Don't worry about a barrel break in on it.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!