Author Topic: Model 70 300 H&H  (Read 946 times)

Offline Hickok

• Trade Count: (0)
Model 70 300 H&H
« on: October 15, 2009, 06:18:04 AM »
I just inherited a pre 64 Model 70 300 H&H. The rifle is in very good condition but the stock shows some use. Does anyone know the lines per inch the checkering is on these pre-64 rifle stocks? The checkering on my rifle is worn down, and I would like to get a cutter and retrace the checkering.

I looked on the internet for a good used stock, but no luck.
Montani Semper Liberi  ><>

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

Re: Model 70 300 H&H
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 08:24:07 AM »
Hickock,Sorry I can't help with the lines per inch on the stock,   :-\but that is a neat caliber.... ;)

Offline bigdaddytacp

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 11:34:12 AM »
I just inherited a pre 64 Model 70 300 H&H. The rifle is in very good condition but the stock shows some use. Does anyone know the lines per inch the checkering is on these pre-64 rifle stocks? The checkering on my rifle is worn down, and I would like to get a cutter and retrace the checkering.

I looked on the internet for a good used stock, but no luck.

I was looking to do the same thing on another gun and I was told by a local gunsmith who does hot blue and stock work that I didn't want to try to do multi line cutters on the old guns....that the space wasn't consistant and the multi line cutters would go off track.....He advised me to use a single line cutter and do light cuts and deepen them gradually.....the angle for the cutter reccomended is 90degrees for the standard mod 70 checkering......I used a 60degree cutter for the border lines to get deeper without making them too wide......and the work is still in progress...I'm away from my old 1953/4 300HH right now but will try to check and post spacing on that one.....it is a standard grade gun with as new bbl/throat and honest mild wear on its stock....till later..good luck and good shooting!

Offline bigdaddytacp

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 12:45:26 PM »

I looked on the internet for a good used stock, but no luck...............I used a thread per inch gauge to check my old 70 and I got 18 lines per inch.......mine is worn from gentle use but not worn away and I got the same reading in a couple of locations on the forearm and pistol grip......mine is a 1953/54 manu date gun and is a standard grade.....a single line cutter with spacer should let you recut it...hth..I also found using a visor lens head set with 1.5 to 2X at a 8inch to 1 ft. range makes the job much easier .....good luck and steady hands......

Offline while99

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 05:59:39 PM »
Hickock, I bought a used, Pre-64 Model 70 with worn-down checkering and was able to use a single-line cutter to re-cut it.  The panels turned out OK, but it was my first attempt and I had trouble holding the line a few times, maybe it was some soft wood or maybe it was me.  Get yourself a good checkering cradle, a good lamp, preferably with a built-in magnifier and have at it.  I think I bought my stuff from Brownells.   

Offline while99

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 06:06:21 PM »
You didn't say what year your rifle was made but, according to Roger Rule's book on the Model 70, a change was made from 20-lines-per-inch to 18-lines-per-inch late in 1941.  It's on page 150 of his book and there is a picture showing the two styles.

Offline while99

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 07:04:36 PM »
Once you re-cut the checkering, the wood in the panels will be lighter than the rest of the stock because you will have cut away some of the stain and varnish from the original finish.  I found an old, 1960s-era, Outer's stock finish kit which contained stain which pretty closely matched the original Model 70 stain so I put a coat of that in the checkering panels.  After letting it dry for the day, it looked like the original stain.  I then used a bottle of oil from the same kit and gave the checkering panels a good coat of oil and then the entire stock a coat of oil.  I'm looking at the rifle right now and it doesn't look too shabby.  You'll be surprised how sharp a freshly-cut diamond feels, almost sharp enough to cut your hand.  Midway and Brownells should have all of the stuff you need to do a good job on the stock. 
Another thing you might want to check is how well the wood is sealed.  This particular rifle had a lot of bare spots, especially in the action mortise.  While I had the barreled-action out of the stock, I bought a can of spar varnish and gave the entire barrel channel/action mortise area a good coat.  I also took off the steel butt plate and coated that area.  I now have a very functional, nice looking rifle which required only a little elbow grease.