Author Topic: Ruger Mini-14; Series 581, product no. 5847  (Read 3962 times)

Offline targshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Ruger Mini-14; Series 581, product no. 5847
« on: October 15, 2009, 06:24:53 PM »
I just brought home a Ruger Series 581 product number 5847 rifle; the Mini-14 Tactical. This is the version in the standard synthetic stock with the flash supressor. I hope to take it shooting tomorrow. I am providing some first impressions and visual quantitative comparisons against the Series 580 Mini-14 stainless synthetic (580SS) I gave to my son last year.
The finish and fit on the 580SS is superior (an early 2006 rifle).
The sling loops on the 5847 are not as heavy gage as those on the 580.
The new 5847 front sights have wider protective wings and a slightly higher sight post. The sights are quicker on target for me than those on the 580.
The length of pull is slightly shorter on the 5847 than on the 580SS.
The overall length of the 5847 is about 3/4 less than that of the 580SS; being even shorter than the Ruger Deerfield.
The 5847 has the barrel that is flared immediately after the gas block, tapering to what appears to be the same diameter a couple of inches towards the muzzle as that of the 580SS.
The new 5847 points very quickly for me, faster than the 580SS.
Thus, from the imperical observations on this particular 5847 out of the box, it appears to be a good combat carbine with handling qualities required for such a firearm and its intended purpose.
BTW, for me, both the 580SS and this new 5847 point faster than an M4 carbine; with the sight picture of this 5847 being the equal of that offered by the M4 (which is superior to the 580 sights IMO).

Offline dougk

• Moderators
  • Driftwood TEXAS
Re: Ruger Mini-14; Series 581, product no. 5847
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 02:33:48 AM »
How does it shoot compared to the older model?
thanks
Doug

Offline mannyrock

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 04:49:34 AM »
Good report Targ,

Look forward to hearing how it shoots with factory ammo.

Offline Tonk

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 04:13:21 PM »
Gents, today the wife got chance to shoot her Ruger mini-14 stainless! It was one cold snasty day at the range let me say. We just came back from the pistol range and the rain started to come down easy then settle in to more "drizzle" and the wind picked up to around 6 or 7 miles per hour.

Nonetheless, we carried on and she shot 40 rounds before her hands got to cold she stated. I fired my FAL SA-58 .308 cal too! I went through 40 rounds quick and then it was time to pick up. I went and got those targets shot at 100 yards and the wife beat me once again I must declare. She has a Leupold scope on her mini-14 and she has shot 1.25 inch groups at This 100yd distance, I went with iron sights and that was not good for my targets. I shot 4.5 to 6 inch groups with that military rifle.

I will be mounting a scope on my rifle too in the near future. You can't hit what you can't see!!! Today the wife made that little Ruger whistle a good tune, in the form of shooting 1.65-MOA. Good shooting on a bad day and that was to be expected under those conditions.

Offline targshooter

• Contributor
Re: Ruger Mini-14; Series 581, product no. 5847-follow-up
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 01:55:35 PM »
Well, it is now the end of January, and I have put about 400 rounds thorugh the Mini-14 Tactical. So, for those interested, some observations follow.
It is of note that all shooting has been with Wolf 62 grain HP, steel cased ammunition. All shooting is offhand except for an over the sandbags at 100yards for MOA record. All shooting has been with the factory installed aperture sights.
The initial 25 yards sight-in (1 shot in a 2 inch bullseye as sights came from factory) indicated that 200 yards shooting could commence.
The first outing digested 30 rounds and put the gun in the black of the 200 yards NRA target.
Subsequent 200 yards shooting sessions resulted in the sights being adjusted and capable of providing x-centered 200 yards bullseye hits when I could perform appropriately. Of note, removing the action from the stock for cleaning does not alter the POI at 200 yards.
A 300 meters session indicated that the rifle possesses the accuracy for application at this distance from the offhand.
A 100 yards sandbag session gave just about 2 MOA average. Scoped the rifle may shoot better. It shoots as accurately as my M4.
Some remarks on the rifle's characteristics:
The sights are improved over the 580 series sights, the difference being the flared protector wings on the front sight; thus there is less aperture clutter and sight picture acquisition is quicker than with the 580 series, at least for me.
Hot, the barrel does open groups up to about 2.5 to 3 MOA, as does my M4. Neither this Mini-14 nor the M4 walk the shots like the 580 series Mini-14 rifles I own.
The recoil of this rifle is almost non-existent; more so than usual for this cartridge.
It does seem that the Ruger engineers were able to perform product improvement with the changes incorporated into this 581 series Mini-14.

Offline LCR

Re: Ruger Mini-14; Series 581, product no. 5847-follow-up
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 01:13:19 PM »
Well, it is now the end of January, and I have put about 400 rounds thorugh the Mini-14 Tactical. So, for those interested, some observations follow.
It is of note that all shooting has been with Wolf 62 grain HP, steel cased ammunition. All shooting is offhand except for an over the sandbags at 100yards for MOA record. All shooting has been with the factory installed aperture sights.
The initial 25 yards sight-in (1 shot in a 2 inch bullseye as sights came from factory) indicated that 200 yards shooting could commence.
The first outing digested 30 rounds and put the gun in the black of the 200 yards NRA target.
Subsequent 200 yards shooting sessions resulted in the sights being adjusted and capable of providing x-centered 200 yards bullseye hits when I could perform appropriately. Of note, removing the action from the stock for cleaning does not alter the POI at 200 yards.
A 300 meters session indicated that the rifle possesses the accuracy for application at this distance from the offhand.
A 100 yards sandbag session gave just about 2 MOA average. Scoped the rifle may shoot better. It shoots as accurately as my M4.
Some remarks on the rifle's characteristics:
The sights are improved over the 580 series sights, the difference being the flared protector wings on the front sight; thus there is less aperture clutter and sight picture acquisition is quicker than with the 580 series, at least for me.
Hot, the barrel does open groups up to about 2.5 to 3 MOA, as does my M4. Neither this Mini-14 nor the M4 walk the shots like the 580 series Mini-14 rifles I own.
The recoil of this rifle is almost non-existent; more so than usual for this cartridge.
It does seem that the Ruger engineers were able to perform product improvement with the changes incorporated into this 581 series Mini-14.

Sounds like you definately have a keeper if you're getting 3" groups with Wolf SC and a hot barrel.
The field mouse is fast, but the owl sees at night.

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 08:12:41 AM »
I bought one of the new Tacticals too, it really shoots well with open sites, it especially likes Fiocchi brand.  With a scope and some hand loads this could be a real tack driver.  I am glad I waited the time necessary to allow Ruger to fix the mini-14 design.

Offline DC

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 06:20:37 AM »
Has anyone out there bought one of the Target models with a heavy and longer barrell?  I am curious about their accuracy.
Dana
Ruger M77 243, Browning B2000, Ruger 22's, Ruger Red Hawk, SBlackhawk, Savage 223 Target...about 20+rifles less than I used to have. :-(