Author Topic: Scarce early 2.5 in. lifesaving cannon by Hunt of MA.  (Read 570 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Scarce early 2.5 in. lifesaving cannon by Hunt of MA.
« on: October 17, 2009, 08:31:13 PM »
We took these photos to send to a long-time customer who was interested in this piece, which he has asked us to put on hold. 

We'll be selling the rest of our stock of lifesaving cannons soon-so photos should be avail. soon, at least a group photo as they are all on pallet racks in one place.  If memory serves, there is a steel Galbraith, a bronze Galbraith, a couple of steel Costen, a Sculler or two, a couple of bronze Naval Company, one steel and one bronze HTP, one Manby barrel only, one cast iron unidentified piece resembling a US bronze gun "C", and maybe one or two more.

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Scarce early 2.5 in. lifesaving cannon by Hunt of MA.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 04:29:50 AM »
cannonmn,

Very nice piece. I've always wondered. What keeps the elevation fixed on those pieces? Also, is the Manby the one that had a ball stuck in it? Did you get it removed?
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 04:45:55 AM »
Deep, I think the elevation was fixed by friction only, have never seen anything else used on those.  The barrel should not move during time projectile is moving out of bore since all forces act through center pivot at rear, and since friction there would increase greatly during recoil.   There might be some movement after projectile is gone due to muzzle blast or whatever, but that would not bother accuracy.

The Manby here now is in essentially new condition, without iron base, only marks are a large "13" on top of barrel.  We shot the ball out of that somewhat rustier one you may have seen photos of; I kept the ball, which was apparently an original Manby ball with recess and bar to tie line onto it, the only such ball I've seen.  I have many photos of it somewhere on this 'puter.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 05:05:25 AM »
Here's a slideshow I just slapped together on the Manby mortar we sold last year.  I took these photos to show dimensions in case we decided to build a base for the "new condition" Manby barrel we still have.

There are a total of 16 photos in the slideshow; I've found that Photobucket slideshows often don't present more than a few of the photos until it is "warmed up" so count how many different photos you see and if it isn't 16, the show isn't warmed up yet.

As I recall it took about 3 oz. of black powder to get the ball out.. We tried one, then two, poured in via the vent, which just hissed out the vent when touched off.  We had tried using penetrants and tools and nothing like that worked.  Of course we took the mortar to the range and did it all safely with people under cover etc., as we do when we attempt any nonstandard shot.

http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/cannonmn/miscforumsetc/forums47/?action=view&current=c512cf61.pbw