Author Topic: Favorite hunting method?  (Read 1983 times)

Offline erickrschaefer

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
Favorite hunting method?
« on: October 12, 2003, 08:51:29 AM »
I got some good replies to the best time of day to hunt, with some differing opinions. The one thing we all agreed on is that anytime spent hunting regardless of time of day increases your odds of tagging a deer.

Now I would like to know what your favorite hunting method is. My favorite is still hunting withg all my bucks with a rifle shot using this method, and half of the deer shot with a bow were also taken still hunting. I know this depends alot on where you hunt but I would still like to hear what you guys have to say.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
Favorite hunting method?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2003, 09:52:55 AM »
I like to ground hunt. Sitting on the edge of a field. Then a tree stand would be next. But there is just something being right down there with the animal when hunting. I wish we could use rifles here in Delaware but we are a shotgun only state. The only exception is this year we can use a Shiloh Sharps or a replica with blackpowder and paper patch bullets. I am going to use my Shiloh Sharps in 45-70. I also love bowhunting, a real challenge of huntsmanship and skill. :) Just my humble opinion.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline Dave in WV

• Trade Count: (0)
Favorite hunting method?
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2003, 01:46:33 PM »
I take stand on the ground and usually in a natural set up. If there is a light rain I like to ease along and still hunt since the deer seem to feel at ease and you can be quiet. Dave
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline erickrschaefer

• Avid Poster
Favorite hunting method?
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2003, 03:50:17 PM »
You guys make good points. When  I am not stillhunting I too perfer a groundblind in a natural travel corridor. I especially do this on opening day and weekends with alot of other hunters moving deer all day. I also hunt in the northeast where you have to look long and hard to find an area where you can see more than 75 yds, let alone shoot that far. My favorite stillhunting locations are the edges of thick cover along swamps and other lowlands.

Keep those replies coming.

Offline John Y Cannuck

• A Real Regular
Favorite hunting method?
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2003, 01:25:49 AM »
We usually hunt using drives, so tree stands are pretty much out.
The bush is too thick in most places for them to increase visibility much anyway.
Even when I'm hunting alone, I will be on the ground. The temperature is a big factor in that decision too. Tree stands are very cold places when the wind gets up and its 0F outside.
Canadian Liberal Gov't = elected Dictatorship

Offline pa ridge-runner

• Avid Poster
favorite hunting method
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2003, 02:13:09 AM »
:-D
  I have to agree with most of you on the still hunting method,its my favorite too! I dont enjoy sitting too long in a tree stand.I have friends of mine that can sit from dawn til dark.
I think that weather has more to do with the way a person hunts.
Here in the east with our large wooded areas,when the leaves come tumbling down its more like walking on potato chips,any deer within shooting distance will hear you coming, making still hunting very difficult.But when there is a fresh snow(but not too deep)it is very quiet moving.Advantage hunter.A fresh rain also is good to move around in.
Sitting on stand is a lesson in patience,not something everyone has,but being patient usually has its rewards. :wink:

Offline Rick Teal

• A Real Regular
Favorite hunting method?
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2003, 05:54:14 AM »
I'm a dyed-in-the-wool still hunter myself.  There's nothing like getting up on your hind legs and going out to find your quarry.  I've used this method on both deer and moose, and have had almost all of my most enjoyable and successful hunts doing this.  

I really enjoy tracking in the snow, but I haven't enjoyed the degree of success with this that I have still hunting.

Like most Ontario hunters, I do a lot of drives as well, and although I've been successful, it just doesn't produce the level of enjoyment and satisfaction I get when I'm moving and on my own.  Unfortunately, I've been beset by arthritis and had a hip replacement in recent years, so more-and-more, I'm forced to curtail my still hunting and tracking.  But, whenever I get the chance (and a lot of time), I still get out there on bambi's trail.
Hunting is Exciting!  Bolt actions are BORING!!
Don't mix the two!

Offline bullet maker

• A Real Regular
favorite hunting method
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2003, 07:55:20 AM »
I`m a dyed in the wood tower stand hunter. I`v seen more deer and other wildlife since I started doing this type of hunting than I ever seen while stalking around. You first have to be in a good deer run, so of course you have to walk to find one, but after I have, I get in a ladder stand.
  Last year, I caught a fella and his wife tresspassing on me during bow season here in Okla. The guy was carrying a rifle with a silencer and his wife carrying a spotlight with a spare 12volt battery. They never knew I was around, till it was too late. They are now facing felony charges for the silencer.
    Last year, I also got to witness a male cougar and two female cougar`s, kill a doe. The Tulsa, World newpaper, even came out to interview me for the article, about the cougar sightings.
    I would have never seen all of these things stalking around.
bullet maker :D
I like to make bullets, handload, shooting of all types, hunting, fishing, taking pictures, reading, grandchildren, 4 wheeling, eating out often.

Offline erickrschaefer

• Avid Poster
Favorite hunting method?
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2003, 09:39:44 AM »
Bullet maker,

I would have to disagree that you do not see as much when stillhuntring. I have witnessed coyotes hunting small game, moose fighting, deer fighting, bears feeding, and had countless other wildlife encounters. Stillhunting when done correctly is a very effective way to hunt, as well as observe wildlife.  Maybe in other parts of the country it is not as effectife but in my neck of the woods getting in a tree actually cuts down on visiability. One other comment "stalking" only occurs once an animal has been sighted where as stillhunting refers to covering ground trying to find the animal to stalk.

Shoot straight and hope all your blood trails are short.

Offline huntsman

• A Real Regular
Favorite hunting method?
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2003, 11:01:42 AM »
It depends entirely on the hunting ground. In Missouri, where there were hunters in the woods like ants all around, I got up in a high tree stand and stayed there, mostly for safety reasons, and saw plenty of deer. Also I didn't have much territory to stomp around on (40 acres).

Here in Texas on the land I hunt, there are only a couple of good still-hunting areas. Mostly it is either too thick in the brush or too open in the fields for effective still hunting. I much prefer a comfortable ground blind where I can cut shooting lanes through the brush before the season opens. If I'm not comfortable, I can't stay on the hunt all day like I like to do.

There are some times, though, when a good ground blind can't be had and the terrain is open enough to still hunt. Then it can be a dynamite way to hunt, exciting and very challenging.
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline matt d

• Avid Poster
Favorite hunting method?
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2003, 06:29:42 AM »
I really enjoy getting on high ground and glassing to find my target and the best way to get close w/o getting detected.  Spot and stalk, sniper stuff :wink:
Don't say whoa in a bad place

Offline High Brass

• Contributor
Favorite hunting method?
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2003, 09:14:58 AM »
If I'm bowhunting, I hunt either out of a treestand or ground blind.  I much prefer the ground but in eastern NC, a treestand is more prudent.  The tall vegetation and thick swamplands make it much easier to see and to take a shot.  In WV, if the ground is wet or its raining/snowing, I like to still hunt.  If nothing else, you get to see a change of scenery :lol:

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
Deer
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2003, 02:36:15 PM »
Where I hunt in Iowa first of Dec many hunters, many deer also. The tree stand has revealed more to me than ground wait and listen hunt ever before. Last year I was about to descend my tree stand to relieve my self when a couple of fawns laid down at the base of my stand. Awsome it was early muzzel season and the duck hunters opened up close by and they took a hike. I like the tree stand and maybe try a ground deal.
Jim

Offline Danny Boy

Favorite hunting method?
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2003, 03:14:36 PM »
I still hunt except when it gets too cold sitting too long. I will get up and stalk. That is usually how it goes in the morning.

I don't hunt during mid day as I usually go back for a nap. Come out again around 3:00pm and still hunt until after the hour. Same game plan every year.

When I hunt on public land I would limit stalking to avoid running into other hunters. Can't afford to be careless.

Danny Boy

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Avid Poster
    • Plum Creek Leather Works
Favorite hunting method?
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2003, 11:07:21 AM »
Still hunting is my favorite and most successful method. Most of our hunting is done by drives, and the only trees we have are along creek banks. I do a combination of stillhunting/driving, I will still hunt to a spot where I think they might be, then make a little noise to get them going, then I get a good close shot, then they move onto the rest of our hunting party. Works good for us. DM

Offline tabbycat

Favorite hunting method?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2004, 05:20:14 AM »
My favorite method? Running a pack of  fine sounding hounds!
I still hunt in between dog seasons.  :wink:

Tabbycat Elkins 8)
When the tailgate drops.....the Bull***t STOPS!!

Offline ihuntbucks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • A Real Regular
Favorite hunting method?
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2004, 07:40:59 PM »
My favorite is still hunting,second being tree stand(ladder type).I usally hunt very thick cover along tops of ridges,flowing into hardwood hollows with a creek in the basin.Also where 2 or 3 ridges drop into a hollow to meet(what I call "fingers"),Also breaver damn and beaver swamps.When I go,Iam there from sun up to pitch black.Of course I have been known to take a nap or two will on my stand.I wonder how many deer have walked by me as I slept?Probably more than I would like to know of. :wink:    Rick
"Traveling East" F&AM #261  RAM #105  R&SM #69  KT #23 "Live for nothing;die for something"

Offline Dave in WV

Favorite hunting method?
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2004, 03:32:50 AM »
I like ground hunting using a natural blind and just blending in. When the weather is right still hunting is good too.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Favorite hunting method?
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2004, 04:50:51 AM »
:D My favorite method and what works in the area I'm hunting aren't always the same. I hunted around home this year in SE Wisconsin. Everything is small plotts of private land. I used the contender and shotgun because they are what's legal in this area. I use a treestand.

I like to use the contender, muzzleloader, rifle, or shotgun in that order.

I enjoy still hunting when I have an area big enough to hunt. I think still hunting out west in big areas is most enjoyable. You see new country, wildlife, and other interesting things. A rifle works best there so that is what I usually take. Sometimes I take the contender (7x30) because it's easy to carry and adds to the challenge. I enjoy still hunting in northern WI also. Sometimes I'll stand hunt for a few hours and then still hunt to look for better areas. If a spot looks good I may sit there a few hours. Sometimes I use deer calls too. It's my favorite way to hunt.

Offline coboconk

Favorite hunting method?
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2004, 09:47:43 AM »
I use different types according to the location and weather. I like to still hunt in a slight rain or light snow. I use a tree stand at the edge of cornfields or in real thich brush. I like to be above for a better view. Tree stand hunting removes some of the scent problem if there is a swirling shifting wind. Other mornings I startout sitting and then start to still hunt several hours later.

Offline MarkJ_Thompson

Favorite Method...
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2004, 01:16:54 PM »
Before season opens I drive to a few spots and wait til dark to see if the deer move in. Once I find that great spot I go to another no where near my favorite and make sure the other hunters see me checking the place over really well (hopefully making them think I am finding major sign) ...I keep going to the fake-a-roo spot until opening day when I go to my primo spot.  I show up early, hike way the BLEEP and gone up the hill above and wait for the deer to come up to me. Hopefully all the out-of-towners fall victim to my "bait and switch" ending up at the fake-a-roo spot and those who don't are usually below me driving the deer up. This means it is always a downhill pack to the truck too.

Now this may seem like alot to go through...but it works for me...and if you only get one deer per year...with city dwellers camping in the hunting grounds...You HAVE to get CREATIVE.  :lol:

Offline Chuck White

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
Favorite hunting method?
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2004, 08:25:43 AM »
Seeing game, much less shooting game, while you're still-hunting here in NY is most difficult in the early part of hunting season!  The reason, 4-5 inches of dried leaves on the ground sounds like a bear walking through a giant box of corn flakes!

I like still-hunting when there is about 6-8 inches of powdered snow on the ground!  Sometimes you can really get close to a deer with these conditions.  Besides being so quiet, you can always find a track to follow!
Chuck White
USAF Retired, Life Member, NRA & NAHC
Don't matter what gun you use,
just get good with it!

Offline skb2706

• Trade Count: (5)
Favorite hunting method?
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2004, 07:41:54 AM »
My favorite hunting method is alone. Long, slow, quiet stalks without a sole around for miles.

Offline jhm

Favorite hunting method?
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2004, 01:45:38 PM »
Usually successful is my favorite but if not successful I always have enjoyable to remind me of the day. :D    JIM

Offline James B

• A Real Regular
Favorite hunting method?
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2004, 03:41:36 AM »
Ambush spot along the grain fields or Game trails leading to food spots. I like to set up for about 150-200 yard shots. Most of my shots come in that distance range and I load my rifle loads to perform at thier best at that range. Where I hunt, 99 percent of the oppertunities are at that range. I load my 280 to about 2800-2900 fps with the Sierra 120 gr. Pro-Hunter bullets.
shot placement is everything.

Offline Bob/FLA

• Avid Poster
favorite hunting method
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2004, 03:15:33 AM »
I enjoy spending time on the ground.  I can spot and stalk, still hunt, ground blind, take a snooze, or go fishing when the opportunity presents itself.  For me it's not about antlers, or getting the biggest one, or even getting one.  I enjoy being outdoors, bringing something home is just that much sweeter.

I tried strapping myself to a tree several times...argh!  Not my cup of tea.  Per several sources, most hunting accidents these days are associated with tree stands.

Good hunting and stay safe.
Thanks!
Bob

Visit our website at:
www.nativeamericanarchery.com
Or contact us at:
naa@nativeamericanarchery.com

Offline buckbeast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Favorite hunting method?
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2004, 07:17:15 AM »
Hunting primarily in the mountains of Pennsylvania, my favorite method is stillhunting/stalking. I start out the day stillhunting and looking for fresh tracks, and when I find a fairly hot trail, I follow those. The whole game and enjoyment of the hunt comes from trying to out smart/out guess the deer and figure out where they are going before they get there. I don't always have success because sometimes I run out of daylight before I find the deer. But that's hunting.
Buck
Just a country boy from the mountains of PA

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
Favorite hunting method?
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2004, 07:20:23 AM »
My favorite method of hunting is bow hunting from treestands.  Although I only do this when I am hunting with friends and they know where I am at.  Just in case something happens I have hope of being rescued.

When I am hunting alone I stick to the ground...I may hunt out of a pop up blind, a brushed up stick and branch natural ground blind or just in the brush along a field edge.  

When gun hunting I am more apt to keep it on the ground unless I have my climber with me.  My Summitt climber has a front rail on it that I use for a shooting rest...Provides a nice solid rest point.
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense

Offline MATLOCK12C

• Avid Poster
FAVORITE HUNTING METHODS
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2004, 03:48:42 PM »
Here in East Texas tree stands are the norm, with ground blinds second. Most folks use ladderstands, and a few climbers.
My self, I like to be way up, about 25 ft at least. So the climbing stand is my first choice, it gives me a good field of fire.  I like to hunt from a ground blind also.  
You got to be carefull you never know just what might be sleeping in it at 5:30 am!  :eek:   :shock:  :blaster:
MATLOCK12C@AOL.Com

Remember, 95% of all energency room visits are made shortly AFTER this statement; HEY, Y'ALL WATCH THIS!  :shock:   :)  :)  :-D

Offline jrcanoe

Favorite hunting method?
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2004, 01:31:49 AM »
I like floating down river in a canoe, Sure beats dragging a deer thru the woods and you can have a partner close at hand drifting the other bank.