Author Topic: Does the difference betwn 280 and 7mm-08 make much of a difference in the field?  (Read 731 times)

Offline briannmilewis

• Trade Count: (11)
Just looking at different rounds and wondered if the actual ballistic differences between 7mm-08 and 280 Rem, would make that much difference on deer or elk in the field.

This is a Remington Ballistics comparison. Apart from the obvious extra range, at 300 yards, would the different energy mean you would get or miss your animal?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Energy Sminergy it has zip to do with anything and is merely a paperwork exercise. How you could think it could have anything to do with hitting or missing I fail to grasp.

An extra 140 fps is meaningless in the real world. If you want to talk about energy which personally I don't it's not even what a .22LR delivers so how could such a tiny extra bit matter? Chances are both bullets will exit anyway taking far more than the difference out the back side with them.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline briannmilewis

Graybeard:

Sorry, clarity was my problem.

Rephrasing it all...I wanted to know at 300 yards do both rounds have the same killing power, which you answered "yes". I was concerned if an animal was hit in the right place by either round, does one have to be tracked and the other not.

Thanks as usual.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Nope no such difference no matter the range. That small difference is of no consequence at all.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
Yea, some differences-

The 7mm/08 can use a short action, kicks a little less then the .280, ammo might be a little easier to find, and it kills deer just as dead.  There is no difference in balistics between the two that would cause a good hit with one, and a miss with the other under similar conditions.  My Ruger compact in 7mm/08 is easy carrying, and kills way out of porportion to its size.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline briannmilewis

Yea, some differences-

The 7mm/08 can use a short action, kicks a little less then the .280, ammo might be a little easier to find, and it kills deer just as dead.  There is no difference in balistics between the two that would cause a good hit with one, and a miss with the other under similar conditions.  My Ruger compact in 7mm/08 is easy carrying, and kills way out of porportion to its size.

Larry

Larry:

These are good field differences.

Offline yooper77

• Trade Count: (33)
7mm-08 Remington or 7mm (7X57) Mauser (higher pressure version) VS the 280 Remington, all will perform so close too small to notice.  I like the 280 Remington Ackley Improved, maybe some day.

Here are similar examples that are so close it doesn’t matter in the field of big game hunting.

257 Roberts+P VS 25-06 Remington, not far behind the 257 Weatherby Magnum

270 Winchester VS 270 WSM, not far behind the 270 Weatherby Magnum

308 Winchester VS 30-06 Springfield, not far behind the 300 H&H Magnum, 300 RSUM, 300 WSM, 300 Winchester Magnum or 300 Weatherby Magnum

338-06 A-Square VS 338 Winchester Magnum, not far behind the 340 Weatherby Magnum

yooper77

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
I have a 7mm Rem mag, a 280AI, a 280, and a 7mm-08.  The 7-mm08 is my hands down favorite for whitetail or anything else requiring up to a 140 grain bullet.  It is a very comfortable round in a user friendly rifle.

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
I just got my H&R Handi Rifle in 7mm-08 and was very surprized at just how flat shooting and mild feeling this rifle had in this caliber.  Of any rifle caliber that I have ever owned, this is by far a real sweet shooting caliber.  I can't wait to hunt the prairie of Montana with it going after mulies weekend after next.