Author Topic: powder measurer which one?  (Read 2121 times)

Offline xit

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
powder measurer which one?
« on: October 21, 2009, 05:19:38 PM »
Christmas is getting closer and I was thinking about a powder measurer.  I was wondering who had thoughts on which ones work well and better or are better left on the shelf. ???

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: powder measurer which one?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 05:22:19 PM »
I've used Hornady and RCBS. Currently I have two RCBS and no Hornady. I reckon that tells ya which I prefer. I do have the micrometer adjustment on both. I use them even when loading small cases like 9mm and .38 special all the way up to the largest rifle rounds I shoot.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline mrbigtexan

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 05:26:40 PM »
i like my lee powder throw. i weigh the first ten and then every five. it never moves on me.

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 11:11:39 PM »
Another vote for RCBS... or Redding......I had two Lee's and ended up giving the things away....
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 01:35:02 AM »
i like my lee powder throw. i weigh the first ten and then every five. it never moves on me.

Then you sure aren't saving much time using it. I set my RCBS then check the setting by dropping five or ten depending on how much it takes to fill the pan roughly full and if as expected the average of them is where I want it I just get with the program. It just does not move and even 500 or more rounds later it's still dropping the same.

It's not unusual for me to go thru a pound or two of powder loading handgun rounds all dropped with no weighing and all are the same. I inspect cases under a bright light to be sure all look same and then load them. If I felt a need to weight every fifth one I'd find another way to charge my cases.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Savage

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 02:39:07 AM »
If I felt a need to weight every fifth one I'd find another way to charge my cases.

Ain't it the truth!

Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline jlchucker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 02:58:56 AM »
I started out, years ago, with an RCBS Uniflow and used it for everything. 3 or 4 years ago I bought a Lee "Perfect" measure, mostly because my brothers all used that model, and because they were on sale for less than 20 bucks. Since then, I've used both, on and off. The Lee throws very uniform charges with stick-type powders, but seems to leak a little with flake and ball powders.  Another downside I've noticed with the Lee is that if you want to change powder volume, that adjustment screw becomes harder and harder to turn as time goes by. I even bought a cheap socket and ratchet to turn it with a while back.  That having been said, an upside with Lee is that if you want to empty the unit out to change types of powder, it's really easy to just turn the container half a turn, remove it and empty the powder back into its original container.  With the RCBS you have to take the whole measure out of its holder.  For smaller volumes of certain calibers, I have pretty much gone back to my RCBS unit. Both Lee and RCBS units work well enough, though.  I've even given some thought to buying a couple more Lee's, next time they are on sale, setting them up and labelling them for a dedicated, favorite load, and using them strictly for single caliber-single load purposes--maybe for something like 30 grains of 3031 for one of my favorite loads for a favorite caliber. 

Offline Savage

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 03:22:38 AM »
I've even given some thought to buying a couple more Lee's, next time they are on sale, setting them up and labelling them for a dedicated, favorite load, and using them strictly for single caliber-single load purposes-
That's what I have done. I always check to verify powder type and charge weight at the start of each session. I find the "Perfect" measures work better for extruded powders than my "Uniflow".  I use the "Pro Disk" for pistol and the "Perfect" for rifle calibers. The only rifle calibers I load for are ARs, and have settled on two powder types. Haven't had the problem you have with your adjustment screw, but then again I don't change mine often.
Savage

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 06:02:11 AM »
I've been reloading for a long, long time, so I've used quite a few different brands/models at one time or another.   Some were good, some bad, some so archaic they barely got the job done.   And then there was the ones that worked the best for me, were the most reliable, versatile, fastest and easiest to use, etc.   I settled on the RCBS Uniflow so many moons ago I don't remember when I got the first one, and I got great service out of it.   Had a couple of them over the years/decades.   Then I bought a Harrell's about 10 years ago, and well, the RCBS Uniflow's don't live here any more.   It's my home reloading bench measure, my "at the range" load development measure, my "in the field" hunting measure.  Last one I'll own.

Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline xit

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 05:43:08 PM »
thanks for all the replies.  RCBS sounds like a good way to go..  I had never heard of Harrell's before.  They look mighty fine.  I will have to check around on pricing and availability. :-\

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 05:57:40 PM »
The RCBS is a very nice measure, as is many others including the Redding, but you'll find almost exclusively Harrell measures on the Benchrest line.  Their culver measure is $180, will last several lifetimes, and is a true joy to use.  Plus the folks that make them are darn nice people.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline jlchucker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 03:31:55 AM »
I've even given some thought to buying a couple more Lee's, next time they are on sale, setting them up and labelling them for a dedicated, favorite load, and using them strictly for single caliber-single load purposes-
That's what I have done. I always check to verify powder type and charge weight at the start of each session. I find the "Perfect" measures work better for extruded powders than my "Uniflow".  I use the "Pro Disk" for pistol and the "Perfect" for rifle calibers. The only rifle calibers I load for are ARs, and have settled on two powder types. Haven't had the problem you have with your adjustment screw, but then again I don't change mine often.
Savage

Savage, I guess that the next time the Lee's come up on sale I'll have to do like you. I mostly load for leverguns, but I've got a couple of favorite loads for 44 mag (carbine) and 357 (handgun).  It would be nice to just set them up, check out the weights thrown just before using, and start loading.  I've never tried the "Pro Disk" but now I'll keep my eye out for one or two of these on sale.  I'll stick with the RCBS for stuff that I'm only going to load a box of 20 for every now and then.

Offline Carter

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 03:34:53 PM »
The RCBS is a very nice measure, as is many others including the Redding, but you'll find almost exclusively Harrell measures on the Benchrest line.  Their culver measure is $180, will last several lifetimes, and is a true joy to use.  Plus the folks that make them are darn nice people.

Harrell does appear to be a very well made unit, but what appears to be a respectable comparison between the Harrell and the Uniflow yielded this:
Within the useful application of a mechanical powder measure, there is virtually no difference between a $60 powder measure and one priced at $268.

Full article here:  http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar63.htm

I've been using the Uniflow since I started loading back in the 80's and it's still very accurate. At one point I thought I might treat myself to a Harrell, but in the end, stayed with the Uniflow.

Offline xit

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 04:03:46 PM »
That is an excellent article skarke.  Thanks for the input. Lots to ponder.  If I gave the Harrell to my wife maybe she would let me borrow it. :-\

Offline mrbigtexan

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 06:02:54 PM »

Then you sure aren't saving much time using it. I set my RCBS then check the setting by dropping five or ten depending on how much it takes to fill the pan roughly full and if as expected the average of them is where I want it I just get with the program. It just does not move and even 500 or more rounds later it's still dropping the same.

It's not unusual for me to go thru a pound or two of powder loading handgun rounds all dropped with no weighing and all are the same. I inspect cases under a bright light to be sure all look same and then load them. If I felt a need to weight every fifth one I'd find another way to charge my cases.
i do this mostly as personal preference while loading for my pistols because a little equals a whole lot. it has never moved on me but i still do it so that i know whats in there. as i get into long range shooting, i will weigh every charge so that there is absolutely no difference.

Offline willys.450

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2009, 06:47:59 PM »
I recently bought one of those Lyman DPS thingities and have never been more impressed.  I will admit is wasnt the cheapest piece of reloading equipment I have ever bought but it is by far the best.  All you have to do is type in your charge and away you go.  I have loaded for days with it and never had it get thrown off weight.  The only gripe I do have with it is that it takes a while to empty it out so you can change powders.  I load for many diffrent calibers and just about cannot find a powder that I can use for multiple calibers and my groups still satisfy me.  I would recommend to anyone to get a DPS system... absolutely awesome.

Geoff
There is room for all of Gods creatures, right next to the mashed potatoes!

SEMPER FIDELIS!!!

Bourbonologist

I live vicariously through myself

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2009, 10:44:34 PM »
I've tried the Lee Perfect powder measure, the Lee AutoDisk measure, and the RCBS Uniflow. 

If you follow the setup directions for the Lee Perfect measure, it's actually pretty accurate and easy to set up.  If you don't, it won't throw the same charge two times out of ten.  It is critical that you run a full pound of powder through the measure to lubricate its plastic guts before you actually start throwing charges.  Or at least it was with mine.

I HATE the AutoDisk.  With flake or ball powders, it leaks like crazy, and it starts to bind up and become difficult to actuate.  I couldn't get it to throw consistently with extruded powders at all.

The RCBS Uniflow is a great measure.  It's extremely consistent with ball and flake powders, and even with short grain extruded powders.  I still weigh every charge for my precision rifle ammo, but rarely do I have to trickle up to weight with extruded powders, and since it throws ball and flake powders to within fractions of a tenth of a grain, I'm just sating my OCD weighing those.

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2009, 06:22:06 AM »
One thing to remember is that all of the better measures (RCBS, Redding, Hornady, Harrell) are most consistent when WE are most consistent.  Try to use the same stroke every time, practice consistency in actuation, and you'll find that all of these measures are quite amazingly accurate.  I frankly cannot say that one will throw a charge better than another, they are all pretty good designs.

The Harrell, to me, seems the most repeatable.  What I mean is that returning to Harrell setting produces exactly, or very nearly exactly the same charge every time.  Just switch the powder, set the measure to what was recorded upon last loading, and you'll be there (always weigh the first few to allow for climatic changes for any measure).  Plus, it is very easy to set, with nice click settings and a very easy to read dial for my aging eyes.

They are all good, guys.  My Hornady atop my LNL progressive is nearly perfect, but it is harder to set (I use a dial caliper to measure the stem).

Just do your best to be consistent in your stroke, and you'll be happy with charging accuracy.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2009, 06:50:50 AM »
BTW, current prices for measures, inluding stands:

Redding master with both chambers and stand $153
RCBS Competition Rifle Measure w Stand $126
Hornady LNL measure with micro stem and stand $124
Harrell Culver (entry model Harrell) with built in mounting clamp (no stand needed) $180

There are cheaper versions of these measures that don't have the micrometer inserts, but that just makes it a total pain to reset between loads.  That's why I provide models closest to the Harrell in features.

Any of these measures will produce very accurate loads with good technique, I find the Harrell to be by far the easiest to set, and reset.

Hope this helps guys, and these prices come from Mid South, a super company to deal with.

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2009, 07:27:27 AM »
Harrell does appear to be a very well made unit, but what appears to be a respectable comparison between the Harrell and the Uniflow yielded this:
Within the useful application of a mechanical powder measure, there is virtually no difference between a $60 powder measure and one priced at $268.

Full article here:  http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar63.htm

I've been using the Uniflow since I started loading back in the 80's and it's still very accurate. At one point I thought I might treat myself to a Harrell, but in the end, stayed with the Uniflow.

Opinions vary.   I've seen that article before AND I did use a couple of Uniflow's for decades.   But the Harrell's is still better for ALL of my uses by a large margin and after having it I would never go back to a Uniflow or any of the others I've had (and that includes a digital that I couldn't get resold fast enough).   

Just like with anything else, the equipment you have confidence in is the equipment you should stay with.

L.

Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline Dezynco

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2009, 04:51:57 PM »
I have a Lyman #55 that is older than me (I'm 41) that works great.  It's not as easy to adjust as some of the others since it has three slides to work with.  I've used one all my life, so I'm used to it's adjustments...

I recently purchased an old Bonanza (now they are labeled Forster Bench Rest) that works VERY well as far as charge to charge consistency.  It's a little finicky to make fine adjustments, but it throws a perfect charge each time.  It works well with flakey and ball type powders without gumming up.

I also love my old Belding and Mull.  I think there's one for sale in the classifieds here.  It's the most accurate, and will slice through anything you put in it.  However, you must use a cartridge funnel or a drop tube and pour the powder charge into each cartridge.  You can't put the cartridge directly under the measure.  You place an adjustable "charge tube" into the measure, then pour the measured charge into the cartridge.  The Belding and Mull is more or less a dispenser, the charge tube actually measures the powder.

I believe that any of the measures that use a vertical "drop tube" rather than a horizontal rotor or slide tend to be more consistent.  However the old Lyman #55 is nearly indestructible.

Offline Dezynco

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2009, 04:34:13 PM »
.....and as far as bang for the buck, you can't go wrong with the Lee dippers.  Using the dippers with a piece of stiff cardboard to swipe them off level is very accurate.  However, I think they have gone up in price!  I think they cost as much as $10.00 a set now!   ;)

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2009, 05:35:24 PM »
Ladobe,

Ditto on the digital powder measures.  To me, they aren't any more accurate, they are a pain to use compared to holding a loading block under a tube, and WAY expensive.  If I was going to spend that much, I'd DEFINITELY get the Harrell.  For those of us who have yet to have the pleasure of pulling the handle on one of their ball bearing models, one cycle and you'll see what the fuss is about.

I can set my Harrell in about 5 seconds and be dispensing the desired load to 1/10th grain on all but the powders that each stick weighs more than a tenth.

They all work pretty well, though.  The biggest differences are in set up time.

Offline Savage

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2009, 03:21:15 AM »
As pointed out in the link provided by Carter:
The Harrell is well made and a joy to operate. Setup and repeatability are easy and positive. The Uniflow is a tad slower to set, and doesn't operate as slick and smooth as the Harrell. Thrown charge accuracy is a wash between the two. As the entry level Harrell is about $200, and the Uniflow is in the $60 range, it's seems it's only a question of: Are the features of the Harrell worth over three times the price? Guess that's up to the individual.
Savage

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2009, 11:07:29 AM »
I have had a lot of different powder measures.  For my progressive presses, I am using the stock Dillon measures.  For my stick powders that will not drop +/- .1 from the Dillon, I use my Lyman 1200 power trickler.

I have manual two powder measures on my bench that are still used periodically when I want to load up a quick 50 or 100 rounds.  A Lyman #55 and a Lyman Pistol powder measure (simlar to RCBS's Little Dandy).  I have a couple of the RCBS Uniflows, but the one adjustment screw is a little more finicky than making the micro adjustments with the Lyman #55.  I have had about every Lee measure ever made.  Not even worth the cheap price I paid for them. 

If you only have money to buy one powder measure to do your reloading, look for a Lyman #55. 

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2009, 06:53:00 PM »
I have accumulated two RCBS Uniflows with micrometers, and a Lyman #55 (bought NIB off Gunbrokers, it's grey/green so not sure how old).
The Lyman runs stick powders better than the RCBS, though all still have to be weighed.
The harder I try to phase out stick powders, the more I seem to have on hand.
Guess I'd better get used to the idea of weighing them.

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2009, 01:22:03 AM »
Give one of the powder dispensing scales a try for those stick powders. I picked up a Lyman DPS 1200 from a GBO member a year or more back and upgraded it to the version three for faster speed. It takes maybe ten seconds at most to dispense charges for my .257 Whby. Magnum and even with coarse sticks drops them to less than a 0.10 grain accuracy.

I'll never stop using my RCBS measures for powders that meter well but the Lyman DPS sure is a time saver for stick powders.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2009, 09:22:55 PM »
Maybe Santa will surprise me! I've looked at them (Lyman DPS1200) for a couple years and keeping leaning towards the RCBS unit. Last winter Cabella's had a PACT unit in their cave that I should have picked up - but didn't.

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2009, 01:34:02 AM »
ive got two rcbs measure and since i bought my first hornady i havent looked back. the rcbs units for the most part collect dust. The hornadys are more accurate with a wider verity of powders and i love the quick change metering stems. I leave stems set up in the most used powder charges and just snap them in and go.
blue lives matter

Offline Dave in WV

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2009, 05:29:46 AM »
I have a Redding 3BR measure and both the universal and handgun chambers.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein