Author Topic: long range leupold  (Read 461 times)

Offline PAINLESS

• Trade Count: (0)
long range leupold
« on: October 13, 2003, 06:55:30 AM »
hello everyone,  i have a question about the leupold varixIII 4.5x14x50mm.  on their web site they have a long range version with a 30mm tube.  anyone got any experience with this scope.  i want the 30mm tube for more elevation and windage adjustment.  would i be better off to go with the lps.  any info would help thanks blake.......
YOU CAN RUN BUT YOU WILL ONLY DIE TIRED

Offline TheOpticZone

• A Real Regular
    • http://www.theopticzone.com
long range leupold
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2003, 07:59:48 AM »
If you are going to use the primarily for target shooting or just long range shooting, I would go with the Long Range.  There is not much of an advantage with the LPS over the Vari-X III Long Range.  While the LPS you will get a little more light transmission, but now worth the extra money, especially if you are going to use it under normal light conditions.  With the long ranges, you will get target knobs, which will be an advantage with target or long range shooting.
Jon Jackoviak
The Optic Zone
www.theopticzone.com

The Place for all your Optic Needs!

Offline Zachary

long range leupold
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2003, 06:58:47 AM »
I ordered the new Leupold Vari-X III 3.5x-10x-50mm Illuminated from the opticzone and it also has the 30mm tube.

Let me tell you, to me, the newer 30mm version is much brighter than the older 1" version.

Now, as for whether you want the LR or the LPS, like Jon said, if you want better light transmission for general hunting, get the LPS.  If you want (need) a true long range scope, then get the LR model.

Zachary

Offline PAINLESS

long range leupold
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2003, 10:17:24 AM »
i am sending my 270wsm to my smith to take it from a factory no frills rifle to a custom long range deer hunter.  the gun will also be used out west for mulleys and antelope.  light transmission is not that big a factor to me.  i have never missed a shot in low light with my varixIII 6.5x20x50mm on my 300 win mag.  i cant justify the extra 200.00 right now and if the varix is as good as everyone says then that is the one i will get.....thanks for the info
YOU CAN RUN BUT YOU WILL ONLY DIE TIRED