Author Topic: Anyone have success yet?  (Read 2319 times)

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
Anyone have success yet?
« on: October 23, 2009, 03:43:16 AM »
Just wondering if anyone had filled a tag yet? ???

I won't be going out until rifle season, if the joints let me anyway. :-\

Would like to see some pics of your success. Come on post them up. I know there's some archery guys out there.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline Specklebelly

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
Re: Anyone have success yet?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 11:47:32 AM »
My sons first deer at a youth controlled hunt.  86 lbs hung weight.  I was more excited than he was.   ;D

Specklebelly

Romans 5:8
Mark 12:28-31

Offline securitysix

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 06:46:38 PM »
Congrats to your son.  What does his H&R shoot?  I know someone somewhere will start giving him grief about the lack of a rack.  Just remind him that you can't eat antlers.

Offline Specklebelly

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 01:13:21 PM »
Congrats to your son.  What does his H&R shoot?  I know someone somewhere will start giving him grief about the lack of a rack.  Just remind him that you can't eat antlers.

Good point, they are a little crunchy.   ;D

It is a 25-06 and shoots really well.  The 25 has the longer barrel compared to the other H&R's which is a bonus in my book.

You can see from the picture he shot too far right but I think that was him shaking and not the gun.

I earned a small bonus at work a few years ago and bought this gun and some how it has evolved to being his.  Don't know how this worked out but I bought the gun and scope and he has made claim to it.   ;) He drew first blood with it so I will gladly let him have it. 
Specklebelly

Offline Old Fart

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 04:42:05 PM »
That ought to be some fine eating. congrats to your son!

I know what you mean about "Inherited guns".
First it was my wife.
Then my son.
Then my daughter.
Now the grandkids are thinking.....
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR

Offline pigguy

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 05:58:57 AM »
I took my nephew for the youth hunt last sunday, and he took this nice doe(see pix).He used a ruger 44 mag carbine with hornady 300 grn xtps.The shot was about 12 yds,the deer went about 15 yds.Saturday I went back to the same tree with muzzelloader in hand and took this 8 pointer( My largest rack so far).maybe we should go kiss that tree.

Offline mattmillerrx

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 07:40:11 AM »
Looks like you guys are having a good time.  I will finally get to go in two weeks.  We have plans for some bowhunting and it is the last weekend for dove so we will have to work that in as well.  There may be some coyote calling that weekend as well.  You guys keep the pictures coming.

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 03:27:58 PM »
hey Specle belly where did you draw into, my sons 1st deer is in my avitar with a 30-30 & my hand loads, 125gr sierra over H4895, mater of fack he has got all his deer with my hand loads, maybe factory would have gotten him his buck, nah mine shoot better. Now he shoots a 7-08 with my hands loads.

My son drew into Salt planes & had his doe at 1300 last friday. Got a shot at a really nice buck Friday night,
saw the buck flinch waited 30min went to where he went in the woods & found a blood trail, Dark not a good sign & then the buck jumped up 30 yrds from off & off he went hoping maybe a liver shot. Waited until morning & tracked him again into a swamp. I went in to try & find him heard the splashing & he was out the other side with no blood trail now. Went back to where he hit the deer & it was 254 paces to the spot he shot from. He came out & met up with the 11 does that we coming his way so there was no chance of a closer shot. We had a good breeze in our face & I think he jst grazed the belly found some fat & fur at the hit sight, ant where he stood for awhile it was even between his front legs & 4 inches behind the tracks. Couple inches higher would have been a perfect shot

We saw loads of deer, turkey & a bobcat & a covey of quail that flew up our legs what a rush.

Had a couple of young does I let my son play with with a grunt call had them guessing what we were & they came to 10 ft of us. They also came back twice to check on us even with out the call what a blast.

He said later as we were leaving that does do not make him shke anymore but that buck got my heart pounding. Offical BUCK FEVER. He could of take 20 or more other does/spikes but waited for a nice one to reappear but to no it would not be
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Offline Specklebelly

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 01:02:26 PM »
Pigguy - 12 yards, that is pretty awesome.  Congrats!!

One Hole - We were at Washita NWR.  He wanted Salt Plains but didn't get drawn.  I sure wish he would some day as I hear there are a BUNCH of deer up there.  Too bad you lost the deer.
Specklebelly

Offline jwv

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 04:58:33 PM »
Here is a 6 PT. buck that field dressed at 90  lbs. that my 15 year old daughter got in the youth hunt. I sure enjoy looking at all the pictures of the deer that our future hunters get.    
       My son got this spike on the last day of muzzle loader season it weighted 84 Lbs. field dressed. he got it with my T/C Omega as his CVA is in the shop for repair. He said he is ready for rifle season and a week off from school.   Jack
ObamaCare-----When injustice becomes law resistance becomes duty.     Thomas Jefferson

Offline Old Fart

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 06:24:29 AM »
I just flat enjoy those pictures of your kiddo's and thier deer. I'm glad that people are still taking thier kids hunting.
Sometimes folk get caught up in trophy hunting and forget where the future of our sport lies.

Offline alsaqr

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2009, 12:47:46 AM »
Congrats to the youngsters on getting their deer.  Young people are the future of hunting in OK and the USA.  I killed two does in muzzleloader season:  One in Comanche county and one in Garvin county. 

Offline mattmillerrx

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 01:19:08 PM »
I was able to take this buck at 45 yards with a friend who had never been hunting at all.  We spent the rest of the weekend chasing turkeys, I got one and he missed his both yesterday and today.  It was a great weekend.

Offline Old Fart

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 10:59:28 AM »
Nice buck you got there Matt. ;)
 Venison and turkey for the holidays!!!! :D

Offline mrgd

• Avid Poster
    • Red River Ammo Company  Edmond, OK
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 12:44:24 PM »
I killed a nice 8pt during powder season.

Offline mrgd

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2009, 04:03:55 PM »
You guys are going to love this.  I worked in tulsa today& on the way home I stopped by a friends ranch.  My boss loaned me a .243.  I had my .357 also for a close shot.  I killed a nice buck wearing dress slacks & dressshirt.  Now he's checked in & wrapped in a tarp in the trunk of my Toyota Camry. ;-)

Offline Old Fart

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2009, 05:03:02 AM »
I killed a nice buck wearing dress slacks & dressshirt.  Now he's checked in & wrapped in a tarp in the trunk of my Toyota Camry. ;-)
Was the deer on the way home also, I mean if he was dressed in slacks and a shirt............. ;D

Sorry I just couldn't pass it up.

OF

Offline mrgd

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2009, 08:51:00 AM »
lol, I guess it is worded that way.  I wish I was good with photoshop.  I would put some fake clothes on him.

mrgd

Offline Skunk

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2009, 09:14:12 AM »
Big Congrats to all the successful hunters on this thread. Special Thumbs Up to those dads and uncles who took the youngsters out to hunt.
Mike

"Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition" - Frank Loesser

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2009, 09:46:56 PM »
I don't really hunt, but I do watch for deer when I'm out walking the dogs.  I usually see them at night, well after dark.  There are a few that sleep in our pasture (plenty of beds in our pasture and tracks to and from the pond they drink out of on a neighbor's property).  I haven't seen antlers on any of them, which is not to say that one of them isn't a buck, but they're usually out at the far end of the range on my Mag-Lite.  I know there's at least one doe with a couple of fawns in that group.

I did see a buck hop another neighbor's fence a couple of weeks ago.  He was at the edge of my light, and broadside, so I couldn't count points, but he had a decently tall rack and was fair sized.  I wouldn't be surprised to count 6 points on him if I could get a good angle and enough light on him.

Earlier this week, I saw eyeballs reflecting light back, so I had left the dogs back at the house and walked up the road a little ways.  I walked within 25 yards of a pretty big doe before she jumped up and ran off.  She laid there and watched me walk right up.

The deer aren't really pressured right around here and there's good habitat for them.  I like it that way, so other than walking up on them and spooking them from time to time, I mostly leave them alone.

Even without hunting, I probably shoot more possums as pests through the course of a year than most people see, and they just keep coming.  What I really want to get a piece of are the coyotes.  I've misplaced my cottontail in distress call, and I've never had any luck with it anyway.  I'd think it would work better than it did, but maybe not.  Anybody know a good sound to use in southern Tulsa or northern Okmulgee county (sorry if that's way OT.  I can start another thread about it if necessary)?

Offline JW/OK

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2009, 04:41:06 PM »
Been carrying a revolver this year hoping to harvest a mature buck. This 5x6 buck came down a trail about 20 yards away. Estimated weight at 145 lbs and age at 5 years. Shooting a 4" Ruger GP100 357 Magnum.

Offline mrgd

• Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2009, 04:13:59 AM »
Great job on a great deer.  That is exactly the same setup I am using.  May I ask what loads you are using in your gp100?  I have been using the 158 monarchs from academy simply because I can't find anything else that isn't clearly a self defense round, no that the two don't ever overlap.  I just hear a lot of folks mention that you want more penetration than most s.d. rounds give. 

mrgd

Offline mattmillerrx

• A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2009, 12:26:57 PM »
I have been taking my 686 smith with me this year as well but have not had that kinda luck.  Good hunting and shooting.

MGM

Offline JW/OK

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2009, 07:54:49 AM »
I was using a factory 158 grain semi jacketed softpoint listed at 1244 fps. I intend to reload in the future with a 180 grain hardcast bullet.  I was sitting on a log when  the buck came up a game trail. I got  the revolver at the ready position when he went behind a tree. He saw me and stopped as he cleared the tree,  but didn't know what I was.  He was quartering to me which left the angle too much for a heart or lung shot. Although I'm not a proponent of the neck shot he was so close I took the shot. He was "Down Right There". The 158 grain SJSP did not completely penetrate the thick neck and give an exit wound. I had to shoot him again to put him down quickly. I just think you would be better off with a heavier bullet in case you are shooting big tough deer. I had been carrying a Super Redhawk in 454 Casull but left it home that evening.
Hardest part about being a handgunner is leaving that rifle home. You have to adjust your hunting methods to put yourself in bow range.
Good luck and don't forget to leave that rifle in the gunsafe!

Offline eskimo36

• Trade Count: (156)
    • Adventure Rider
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2009, 09:17:37 AM »
I shot both of these today with my Encore in 25-35 in Hughes County. The 6x Nikon Monarch is a great scope for this caliber. Reloads of 100 gr corelokts and IMR 3031 did the job. Called the cat in early to 9 feet and had to scare him off so I could shoot him. I got too caught up in the calling and watching the cat. The buck came up a fenceline to a ladder stand I just set yesterday after an unsuccessful encounter with a super buck in that location yesterday about midday. The barrel is a TC custom shop barrel and the stocks are from Stocker Gunstocks. I have a much nicer set of wood from them on a 9.3x74r Encore but I am still working on loads for it. I hope to use it for the late season antlerless days.

"one shot is usually enough"

Offline mrgd

• Avid Poster
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2009, 04:57:22 AM »
Congrats.  Both very nice animals!

Offline Old Fart

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2009, 11:00:27 AM »
Nice set there eskimo36.

Offline TDH

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2009, 08:11:25 AM »
I filled my buck tag. Nice buck for where I hunt. 118 lbs hogdressed 8pt 191/4 inch spread. Tine length is not great. On a hunch I did what I did two years ago in high wind. Hunted edge of pasture and timber mid day. He stood up while I was still trying to sit dowm, doe came running by at 10 yds, Here he came one 7mm Mag to neck dropped in his tracks in a full run at 16 yards. I think I killed his daddy in the same senariio two years ago same conditions and same kind of a day. Killed him in Sequoyah County on my cattle ranch 2miles from Vian.

Offline eskimo36

• Trade Count: (156)
    • Adventure Rider
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2009, 09:54:21 AM »
My dad got his this morning from the same stand as I killed mine from...mainframe 8 with split G2s for a total of 10. 20 inch inside. 144 pounds not dressed.
"one shot is usually enough"

Offline Old Fart

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2009, 03:33:39 PM »
Man you got a regular honey hole there don't ya?