Author Topic: Compact Sidkick Thumbhole takes 3 deer  (Read 1368 times)

Offline Slackdaddy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Compact Sidkick Thumbhole takes 3 deer
« on: October 24, 2009, 03:56:45 AM »

Opening day of ML, I was in the swamp and caught him 70 yards out, slipping through at 7:30 AM.
Using a 260 grain PRbullit Extreme Elite on 90 grains of Blackhorn and a MU plug.
Shot straight through the heart.
This Gun handles like a dream, the 20" barrel is perfect, and the short TH stock with the rubber check pad is a seamless fit when I throw the gun up.
I was worried about the barrel after cutting it, but it grouped 3" at 100 yards and I am NOT a good shooter :)

Few years back I was shooting Extreme elites in 330 and 360 grain on 90 grain Pyrodex RS with golf ball sized exit woulds and A LOT of blood.
I switched to Keith Nose 2 years ago and they are devistaing, no exit, but the deer never went more than 10-30 yards.

Since this is my "kids" gun, they are going to practice with 175 grain and hunt with the 240 or 260 Elites, the 260 Elites are not opening up as much as I would like with 90 grains of BlackHorn at typ distance (20-60 yards), I will adjust the powder down and see if that helps.

Shot 2 small does Friday night.

Love this gun,
I am going to make a few more (3 kids)

Slack
Nicholas Andraka
REO Services
Serving Maryland since 1993
http://reoservicesofmaryland.com    reo_services@verizon.net

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
Re: Compact Sidkick Thumbhole takes 3 deer
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 06:06:16 AM »
Congratulations Slackdaddy!

I wanted to ask you how you re-attached the ramrod thimble/ferrule to the barrel?

With the right mods, these Huntsman/Sidekicks are some great handling and shooting rifles.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Slackdaddy

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 06:33:58 AM »
Busta,
I had a gun smith cut the new dove tail.
If it was not for the dove tail, this would be a 100% DIY project.
The cut down barrell make a world of differance in handling, just need to solve the ram rod thimble re-attach to keep it low dollar.

Slack
Nicholas Andraka
REO Services

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 11:34:28 AM »
Busta,
I had a gun smith cut the new dove tail.
If it was not for the dove tail, this would be a 100% DIY project.
The cut down barrell make a world of differance in handling, just need to solve the ram rod thimble re-attach to keep it low dollar.

Slack

Thanks for the answer, I have thought about cutting down one of my sidekicks, and that is how I would reattach if possible. I guess a guy could drill & tap holes and use another thimble that screws on as well.

I guess I now need to ask what method you used to cut and crown the barrel, or did you have the smith do that as well?
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline Slackdaddy

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 06:38:36 AM »
Busta,
Sorry for the delay in response. Just hunted 9 straight days.
The gun smith cut, crowned, and dovetailed for 90.00

The Compact "Kiddie" Sidekick put 4 deer down. Love this gun.

Slack
Nicholas Andraka
REO Services

Offline Busta

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2009, 07:29:13 AM »
Thanks for the reply slackdaddy.
U.S.A.F. Veteran
NRA Life Member

Offline equinoxbuilders

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 02:03:20 AM »
SlackDaddy,

I am thoroughly impressed.  I saw your earlier post on the creation of this NEF.  I hunt with a 50+ year old 'Betsy' .54 Hawkens Renegade carbine, that is beat-up and rusted beyond belief.  But still shoots and kills deer.  I got a Rossi .45 cal youth for my kids in stainless that shoots real good.
Iron Sights.  195gr. PBs. with 60-80gr. hard fffg..  The pull is good, but the cheek is low.  Thank you for posting your pics.  You've given me great ideas.  Who cares what they look like, if they do the job.  ;D
Rossi doesn't make the .45 anymore, and I don't know who does make a .45 without custom encore.  So, I'm thinking of getting the NEF in .50... Better quality with NEF.
Again, congrats on your harvest, find, and innovation.

Cheers

p.s. I know the PBs are soft, but not using 100gr. of powder.  I also have the kids shooting hard cast BuffaloBullet Sabots for .45
and have tried Hornady .357 158gr. flatpoints in .45 sabots.   Nothing on deer yet.  PBs have the best accuracy and make one ragged hole at 25yards.
A fine is for doing something bad.  A tax is for doing something good.  I have to stop being so good.   :grin: