Poll

Which BP Pistol/Revolver do you hunt with?

Remington Type
3 (16.7%)
Colt Type
0 (0%)
Ruger Old Army
11 (61.1%)
Single Shot Cap
4 (22.2%)
Single Shot Flinter
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Which BP Pistol/Revolver do you hunt with?  (Read 734 times)

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
Which BP Pistol/Revolver do you hunt with?
« on: October 25, 2009, 09:20:28 PM »
I've had alternatively a .50 cal CVA single, two Remington .44s, and recently acquired a Ruger Old Army .45. Shot some small game, but never anything larger. All my reading on the ROA leads me to think its adequate for white tails at shorter ranges than my long gun (.54 Renegade). Threads here on the subject seem short, so I was wondering if a poll might get more input.

Mahalo, Chaps
held fast

Offline NickSS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Which BP Pistol/Revolver do you hunt with?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 06:11:37 PM »
I have hunted lots of small game and varmints with a Remington 1858 and a Ruger OA.  I would guess that the ruger or Remington would kill a deer at short range with proper bullet placement but I would not recommend it as there would be too much chance of the animal to be wounded and get away only to die later.  The largest animal I killed with my remington was a sheep that my friend was going to butcher.  One shot in the head at five feet did the trick but then so would a 22 RF

Offline StrawHat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Which BP Pistol/Revolver do you hunt with?
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 01:05:21 AM »
Have you ever done any bow hunting?  Or old fashioned still hunting?  If you can get close, the old Colt Dragoon will work.  But like NickSS said, "...but then so would a 22 RF..."
"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result"  Winston Churchill

"A law without a punishment is merely advice."  anonymous