Author Topic: Walker-hand?  (Read 563 times)

Offline SpunSolo

• Trade Count: (0)
Walker-hand?
« on: October 25, 2009, 09:30:05 PM »
I have been shooting the Walker revolver for quite some time.  I recently decided to use an 1860 for a while, but once i switched over I could not hit anything at all!

I'm no expert, but I could reliably hit with the Walker, so I was very frustrated.

It seems that using the heavy revolver for so long had changed my grip, if that makes any sense.  When i switched to the lighter gun I had developed an odd motion in my grip and trigger squeeze that was causing the barrel to drift left.

The weight of that big pistol that had filtered out so many shivers or twitches (shoot in cold alot) had also fostered a bad habit.

Has anyone else had a similar experience ?

Offline madcratebuilder

Re: Walker-hand?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 12:50:59 AM »
I tend to shoot the Walker and Dragoons more accurate than the holster frame revolvers.  The extra weight effects it I'm sure.

Offline good shot

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 03:02:28 AM »
Is the Walker a bigger grip?
I have been told the trigger finger needs to come straight back, too much finger can cause grouping to the left, too little can cause grouping to the right.
I have read references to Elmer Keith in Six Guns, how he started with percussion revolvers as a kid, would sit with back to a tree and two hand his revolver with hands on or between knees.
Best wishes,  :)

Offline madcratebuilder

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 07:56:44 AM »
The Walker and the Dragoons have a larger grip.  They are about the same height as the 60 Army with a larger diameter.  The pocket frame revolvers are scaled down even more.  Both the 60 Army and the 51 and 61 Navy are considered holster frame revolvers, the Navies have a shorter back strap than the Army model.