Author Topic: H&R Buffalo Classic 45-LC Lilgun; Bbl D&T for Peeps?  (Read 605 times)

Offline DCmauser

• Trade Count: (0)
H&R Buffalo Classic 45-LC Lilgun; Bbl D&T for Peeps?
« on: October 26, 2009, 07:27:17 AM »
I'm thinking about getting a H&R BC in 45-LC to go with my 45-70, and was wondering if the barrel is drilled and tapped with the two (2) holes for scope mount or, in my case, for a Williams style 5D or Fool Proof Peep Sight? ???

I understand that the carbine model is advertised as being furnished with semi-buckhorn step-elevator type rear sight, and while back I have read that DoubleBase73 had used a Williams gun receiver sight (WGRS), which uses holes spaced same, but I'm not sure if those holes were done by a smith or H&R special order; also I figure that the 5D or FP may be lower height than WGRS so that I might not have problems with highest front sight being too low?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: H&R Buffalo Classic 45-LC Lilgun; Bbl drilled and tapped for Peeps?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 09:59:57 AM »
Yes, the BC carbine barrel is drilled and tapped for a scope base just like all current production centerfire rifle barrels are, the Williams FP or FP-TK are bolt ons in the two rear base mount holes, same as the WGRS. Can't help ya with the front sight height, Brownell's has a sight height formula, it's listed in the FAQs and Help Peep and Firesights link.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 10:59:51 AM »
Yes, it's drilled and tapped. Initially I put a WGRS on and replaced the factory 0.570" dovetail front bead sight with a Marble's 0.570" firesight. This front sight height is way too low to work with the WGRS. I didn't try the FP to see if it was low enough to work with this front sight height. It looks a little bit lower than the WGRS but I don't think it's enough.

MidwayUSA sells a 0.250" dovetail riser that I may end up getting at some point. I used the Brownell's front sight height calculator and found that the 0.250" riser along with a 0.540" tall 3/8" dovetail sight should give the correct height to work with the WGRS (check my work, I could be wrong).

I ended up putting the factory semi-buckhorn back on and I shoot fine with it. The front firesight makes it easier to see and works well with the factory sight. I'll probably use the factory sight for this hunting season, it works fine for me.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline kitchawan kid

• Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 11:53:38 AM »
How about Smiths ladder sight that Brownell's has,will that work with the .45 BC.?
N.R.A. life member
N.Y.S.R&P
PUTNAM FISH &GAME ASS.
RAMAPOO RIFLE AND REVOLVER

cowboy action,hunting,target-1911's rule