Author Topic: Buck Attack!  (Read 1099 times)

Offline matt d

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Buck Attack!
« on: October 14, 2003, 09:42:55 AM »
Yesterday evening my dog, Tess, and I were on a coyote walk when we ran into a group of deer about two hundred yards away from us.  I took a knee in the well grazed field and glassed a buck coming towards us from the group.  As he walked I had by binocs stuck to my face and when I finally put them down I was surprised to see that the high horned buck was only fifty feet away and still coming.  I didn't want him to think I was a doe so I moved a little so he could see what I was.  I had no place to go it he decided to do something "unpredictable."  He walked right passed us and as I turned I saw another buck walking right at us from a different direction and before I knew it my hound dog and I were in the middle of a buck brawl.  We ran back away as the bucks were throwing each other around in the dust.  The cracking noise of their horns slamming together sounded amazing.  Finally, the high horned buck lost and whent back where it came from.  Not five minutes later to boars got is fight about one hundred yards away in some thistles but thats another forum.  What a weird evening.  Has anyone been or heard of bucks attacking people?
Don't say whoa in a bad place

Offline Myk

Buck Attack!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2003, 12:22:36 PM »
Yes there was a video going around about 10 years ago of one attack. But it turned out the guy had doused himself up with doe in heat scent and set it up.

Other instances I've heard about have been on deer ranches with the penned deer. That guy has permanent damage from the attack. He got gored pretty good.

Offline Rogue Ram

• Contributor
Buck Attack!
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2003, 04:56:11 PM »
I had one come at me last year after I shot him. Big 275 pound mule deer. I shot him dead square in the chest with a .270 (150 gr ballistic tips loaded hot) at 30 yards........knocked him back a few feet, and with blood shooting through the hole in his chest, he ran straight at me.  He received a second shot right next to the first......."everything" came out his nose, mouth, entry wound, and he STILL came. Third shot right next to the first two, I put a fourth in the chamber, no time to shoot, sidestepped and was about to hit him with the gun like a baseball bat then he fell about 6' from me, DEAD.

After cleaning my shorts out and thinking about this A LOT, I came to the conclusion he wasn't trying to "get" me so to speak. He really had no where to go and I don't think he really saw me until the last few steps........he had a rock face on one side, he knew my partner was on the other (was watching him when I shot him), and just wanted to get away.  HOWEVER, somewhere in there we locked eyes, he wasn't moving and I wasn't either.  He just wanted to get away and I was in the way.

Upon cleaning, no heart, no lungs, it was like he swallered up a stick of dynamite.   :eek:    Not a real "I'm a gonna horn you" charge, but a weird enough experience to make me glad I had a big enough gun and had the presence of mind to shoot relatively straight.

Later

RR

Offline WD45

• A Real Regular
Buck Attack!
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2003, 04:23:14 AM »
I have had a simular experience as Rogue Ram.
It was about noon time and a buddy that I was hunting with were just standing on the edge of a clear woods are shooting the bull when we saw a buck moving his way through the woods so I gave a little grunt on the call and he stopped. My buddy took a shot and the deer stood there and looked straight at us so I poked fun at him cause we thought he missed and he took another shot. At the second shot the buck started trotting at us so my friend shot 3 more times as the thing came at us at a faster pace.  At about 25 yards I hit him with a 45 LC that broke his front right leg which caused him to hit the ground hard but was still kicking trying to get up before bleeding out! We found he had been hit 4 times. 3 by my friend and once by me.  When we cut the deer open and saw the internal damage we could not believe the deer could even stand up much less run.
Even though I gave a grunt on the call we were not being quiet or anything. My buddy was actually talking to me in a rather loud voice when I grunted on the call. The whole thing was very strange.

Offline willis5

• Contributor
Buck Attack!
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2003, 07:03:02 AM »
Was that sucker on PCP or something! :-D
Cheers,
Willis5

Offline matt d

• Avid Poster
Buck Attack!
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2003, 12:14:28 PM »
WD45,
thats a funny story!  I would say that it is amazing but I have reciently moved a couple miles from where I used to live and it is the most active deer area I have ever seen.  The rut is in full swing and I can't believe some of the stupid things the bucks do.  Last night a buck was sniffing behind my dog like he thought she was in heat.  It was funny because she was trying to get away from him, she knows deer are "bad."  Imagine those puppies, I'd have a bunch of little Cur Deer running around.
Don't say whoa in a bad place

Offline WD45

• A Real Regular
Buck Attack!
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2003, 09:09:26 AM »
matt d..... I now have this picture in my mind of a PUPALOPE :-D  :-D
er.... PUPABUCK :-D  :-D

Offline WD45

• A Real Regular
Buck Attack!
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2003, 09:12:18 AM »
PCP... well .. I'm not really sure what they put in them walmart mineral blocks :shock:  :)  :)

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
Buck Attack!
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2003, 12:48:41 PM »
:shock: WOW :shock:  , some amazing encounters...glad nobody got hurt!
Good Luck, Be Safe, and God Bless  :D

Ephesians 2:8
--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--

Offline The Pistoleer

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
Buck Attack!
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2003, 04:46:53 AM »
I just posted this on the thread " What is the scariest thing that ever happend to you while..."

I was hunting with my youngest son who had just got out of the Marines. A nice buck got up and I made a good running shot on him. He was across a brushy draw about 125 yards away so I told my son to keep him in the scope while I crossed the draw. Since I was carrying a S&W mod 29 in a shoulder holster I put my rifle down so I could get through the brush in the draw easier. As I came out of the brush the buck spotted me. His back was broke but he came for me with a down hill lunge and pulling himself surprisingly fast. As put his head down attempting to gore me. I stepped to the side like a bull fighter, pulled the 44 and shot him in the neck as he went by. He laid there with hate in his eye until he died a couple of seconds later. He is the only animal I have ever had mounted.

NRA Endowment Life

Be Safe,Have fun

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
Buck Attack!
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2003, 12:06:07 PM »
Hmmmmmm.....

Just goes to show that even usually-timid deer CAN be a "threat" under the right conditions.

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson