Author Topic: Which one?  (Read 712 times)

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
Which one?
« on: October 26, 2009, 02:14:03 PM »
Hello everyone,
   As most of you already know, I am deployed to the Middle East.  Well, I only have 2 more weeks and will soon find myself making some pretty tough decisions.  I need your help deciding which rifle I should start with.  Since I have been deployed, I have acquired a 45-70, 22 Hornet, 223 Rem, 35 Whelen, and 500 S&W barrel for the 3 Handi SB2 frames I have in the safe.  Right now I have dies, brass, bullets, powder and primers to load the 500, 223, 22H, and 35 Whelen.  I have factory ammo ready-to-shoot for the 223 and 500. 

How do some of you do it  ???  I don't have nearly as many as some of you and I don't know where to start..... ;D

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline andrewtheelder38

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Which one?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 02:28:59 PM »
Hey Dinny: First of all, thank you for your service to our country.  Secondly, the .223 is probably the place to start and it will be one of the cheapest to shoot and/or reload for......albeit the 35 whelen won't be too bad either.   

I cannot believe how pricey components have become.  I will say, that after years of reloading, I am just as happy to shoot paper targets and live game animals with cast lead bullets most of the time......

the 45-70 handi rifle seems to shoot just about any bullet well......so with the price of new jacketed bullets i pretty much only buy 405 grain cast lead for that caliber

when you are back in the states pop into a few gunshops from time to time most of them sell second hand reloading supplies in a discoutn bargain bin area.

I have found some real bargains here in Maine that way in the past....I once bought 175-grain 7mm grand slams for 5 bucks a box of 50!!!!

I

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 02:34:36 PM »
That's one vote for the 223.

It's an honor to serve. ;)

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 03:11:54 PM »
Dinny, I'll tell ya what I've been doing....I've always preferred light hunting rifles, I hunt big areas and walk a lot, the area is closed to vehicles, but there are lots of old roads left over from the turn of the century logging that was done there, consequently I can walk for a couple miles before I get to the area I actually hunt, since I end up carrying a rifle a LOT more than I do shooting it, being light and handy makes a big difference. So my choices always go towards the lighter rifles I have, the 30-30AI last year, 35 Remington for the two years before that, I didn't hunt the previous year and I think I muzzleloaded the year before that. Anyway to bring this to a point, this year I wanted to hunt with something I hadn't used before and I didn't have a rifle sighted in due to poor range opportunities this year, my 25-06 Ultra was sighted in because I carried it a couple days year before last, but it's a lot heavier than I like with the laminated stock set, so I put a set of the new syn stocks on it, made a big difference in weight, but it didn't shoot worth a darn with them, used up most of the factory ammo that I had that shot good in it.

So getting down to crunch time, season opened on the 17th over a week ago, I reluctantly put the lams back on it and it shot great as usual, even with some other factory ammo I had never tried. Last Saturday was the first day I got to hunt due to waiting for my son to hunt with us, I carried it, 1½ miles in and I was really regretting it, that monster liked to wore me out, it wasn't comfortable to carry in the crook of my left or right arm and even slung, it was a real drag, the 26" barrel is just too top heavy and cumbersome when slung, and I haven't carried a rifle slung while actually hunting for as long as I can remember. My GPS tells me I went about 5 miles Saturday, and it was a long 5 miles, gonna do it again later this week, but I sure don't look forward to packing that beast, the other reason I chose it was the timber company made a bunch of huge clear cuts in the last several years, and they're just becoming productive, shots of 500yds would easily be possible in them if I was capable of it, and long shots may be the only chance for a shot at a legal buck which must have at least 3 points on one side to be legal. Anyway, carry the one you enjoy hunting with, that's the right one. ;)

Good luck and thanks again for your service and sacrifice.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 03:53:30 PM »
Tim,
   Sounds like you need to sell off some of those rifles and buy a helicopter. ;D  I good pilot could drop you in right where you need to go. ;)  Be careful though, the heavier rifle will make you rappel faster towards the ground. :o

I didn't mention it earlier but, I think I will hunt with the 45LC Handi.  It's a shooter with several different loads, but I need to try-out the 225gr Barnes XPB on a deer.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 04:13:32 PM »
Hi Dinny:

First off I want to thank you for your service.
It is a great thing you do for all of us here at home.
Mostly I want to thank you for my two young sons.
By what you and others like you are doing they may not have to ever know the horrors of war.

Now as to the good stuff.
I really can't help you that much except to say the 45-70 and the 35W have both served me well and have proved themselves many times.
You would not go wrong with either caliber.

Thanks again!
LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline shvlhead.45

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 04:48:51 PM »
Dinny,

You coming back for R&R or MC?  Winchester white box varmint loads (45 gr.) will put you in the game till you have time to do load development for the .223, leave the 5.56 stuff for the AR variant you have sitting around.  Leave the .223 till later unless you are going varmint or predator hunting.

.45-70 is an aweful lot of fun to play with.  Remington bulk pack 300 gr HPs work real good for jacket bullets and I've had good luck with some 350 gr fps that my brother loaded but wouldn't feed in his Marlin 1895.

I don't have any of the other calibers you mention playing with so no further comment on them.  Now you mentioned the .45 Colt, that is one of  my favorites.  I like the 300 gr XTP in a mid-range Ruger load, works right nice in the NMBH and the 94 AE Trapper.  Put a small feral pig on the ground with one round out of the NMBH in late May.

Stay safe, don't let the last couple of weeks get ya and a safe trip back.  First Team

Shvlhead.45

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 06:52:42 PM »
Ah.....Hmmmmm.......welllll...... I may have to get back with you on this one. :o ;D
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 03:28:59 AM »
Dinny,

You coming back for R&R or MC?  Winchester white box varmint loads (45 gr.) will put you in the game till you have time to do load development for the .223, leave the 5.56 stuff for the AR variant you have sitting around.  Leave the .223 till later unless you are going varmint or predator hunting.

.45-70 is an aweful lot of fun to play with.  Remington bulk pack 300 gr HPs work real good for jacket bullets and I've had good luck with some 350 gr fps that my brother loaded but wouldn't feed in his Marlin 1895.

I don't have any of the other calibers you mention playing with so no further comment on them.  Now you mentioned the .45 Colt, that is one of  my favorites.  I like the 300 gr XTP in a mid-range Ruger load, works right nice in the NMBH and the 94 AE Trapper.  Put a small feral pig on the ground with one round out of the NMBH in late May.

Stay safe, don't let the last couple of weeks get ya and a safe trip back.  First Team

Shvlhead.45

MC  Thanks for the suggestions.

~Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 07:15:05 AM »
Dinny,

Thanks for your service brother, I vote for the .45LC because I'm biased and for the same reason as Tim, it's all about weight with me. I cover a lot of ground when I hunt so I want as light as possible. The 45 Colt carries perfectly. I'll be using a 250 grain Hornady XTP. Right now my most accurate charge is 9.8 grains of Unique but I still have time to play with the loadings to see if I can find anything more accurate.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Diesel40

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 07:50:09 AM »
I just want to thank you for your service.  I have always been fond of the 45lc.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 09:43:32 AM »
Thanks everyone, it really is an honor to serve. :)

I think that's 3 votes for the 45LC.  It did the trick last year and this year I think it will work just as good if not better with the Barnes bullets. ;)

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 10:31:01 AM »
With a newborn and a wife you ought to keep an air rifle in the car. Maybe you will get a chance to shoot it on your diaper run to Costco. Been there done that. Shot a lot of .177 pellets out of my car window (on my property and safely) while the baby was napping in the car seat. Thanks for your service.

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 10:41:47 AM »
With a newborn and a wife you ought to keep an air rifle in the car. Maybe you will get a chance to shoot it on your diaper run to Costco. Been there done that. Shot a lot of .177 pellets out of my car window (on my property and safely) while the baby was napping in the car seat. Thanks for your service.

I have a FWB 124 .177 that I really like to shoot.  Maybe I will keep it in the truck for those "roundabout" trips to and from the store. Still can't let my wife catch me. ;) She just wouldn't understand at all. ;D She's kinda protective,afterall, it's our first child.

Thanks for the idea, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2009, 11:03:28 AM »
Dinny, I take it you're back over there for a while.  Things are heating up there and I'm sure keeping you busy.  Keep your head down and come back to your family and all of us here well and intact.  You guys and gals are appreciated.  Thank you :D

Do the .45-70 first.  It will do anything your heart desires.

I assume from your posts you're a medic and by the rules can't go "armed".  I sure would.  One pop at me with an AK, and I'd do a frontal lobotomy on him.....I guess I'm just nasty that way.

Stay well, friend.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2009, 12:46:43 PM »
Dinny, I take it you're back over there for a while. 

I assume from your posts you're a medic and by the rules can't go "armed".  I sure would.  One pop at me with an AK, and I'd do a frontal lobotomy on him.....I guess I'm just nasty that way.

Stay well, friend.

Pete

Pete,
   Not a while, only 2 more weeks.  Medics are armed, we have to protect our patients and ourselves.  Also, fire superiority is the best medicine on the battlefield. Sorta the "shoot them before they shoot any of us" idea. ;)

Another vote for the 45-70.

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas Paine

Offline kinslayer1965

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2009, 01:00:09 PM »
Dinny,

My first thought is thank you for your service to our Great Nation! Hope that last two weeks goes quickly and finds you back home choosing from among your handies is good health.

My vote is for the 45LC. I just recently purchased a BC in 45LC and it is a blast to shoot. I have a 500S&W that has yet to be to the range so my vote might change in a couple weeks.

Thanks again!
A man without a stick will get bitten, even by sheep.