Author Topic: Breed that can track blood  (Read 2210 times)

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
Breed that can track blood
« on: October 26, 2009, 03:31:42 PM »
I have a Blue Heeler about six years old.  She is OK, but not great at tracking a gunshot deer.  She is however, my very best friend and loves me more than any member of my family.  At deer camp, we are inseparable.  Needless to say we go everywhere together.  I allow her to search for deer even when I have already located the animal.  Sometimes she goes into the box stand with me and sometimes she waits in the truck, but she is always eager to track.  Problem is, she is eager to track anything, be it a squirrel or a deer.  She has found probably five deer, but I can never tell if she is trailing a deer or something else.  This year I am attaching Christmas bells to her collar so I can tell where she is in the woods.

What can I do to better train her?  What breed of dog would you recommend to track a deer (and be a house pet for children)?  A lab is too big.  Needs to be a medium size dog.

Offline moxgrove

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Re: Breed that can track blood
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 04:58:12 AM »
Draathaar

Offline buck460XVR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 01:23:25 PM »
"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline Zeeks

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 03:03:28 PM »
Well,  I have a English Mastiff.  He has found the blood trail and the arrow.  Stops and eats the corn & feed with the blood running thru it.  Thats about it.    Great with children & women.  Men he is skiddish.    He thinks deer are here to play with him.  Had a 4x4 buck and him,  just stare at each other.  When Gus went and got his ball,( Extra Large ) the deer just walked off.  (( Large breed with A.D.D..))      Skinned deer hide might help you get the dog to recognize the scent.  We have deer come thru here almost daily and the fawns and yearlings are usually bedded up next to the house during the summer months.  I live in a wooded area and dont let my dog bother them.  Any other animal, game on except skunks.

Offline 30-30man

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 04:40:59 PM »
Believe it or not, I have male Shitzu that finds them everytime. He's a 10 pound dog that thinks he's a 200lb German Sheppard.  He's very protective.  I have to keep his fur trimmed really short during hunting season.  My wife named him Goober after the peanut butter and jelly.  He loves to go anywhere with me.  He rides in the truck, atv, boat, and even on a jet ski.  He loves just being with me.  I think it's more of a protection thing for him as he growls and barks at the deer.  I think any dog will work as long as he wants to hunt.  You'd be amazed at what even a mutt can sniff out.

Offline pozoutdoors

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 06:18:56 PM »
Beagle!!! They are awsome!!!

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Ethan

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 02:21:53 PM »
My friend has a beagle that he has trained he found a buck that i shot.
"A good man always knows his limitations”

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2009, 02:33:19 PM »
A Blue Heeler will watch your house, watch your kids, watch your truck, watch your stuff in your truck, pen your livestock, protect you, and he will hunt for you.
What you have to do is encourage her to find what you want her to find. When she does find the deer, act like she just discovered penicillin. Make it fun, and make it a lot of fun when she finds the deer. That is all there is to it, and you already have a start. She's tryin just by gettin out and lookin. You have to do your part, and pay more attention to her body language. ALL K-9s communicate strongly with body language. When I was huntin people with my shepherds I knew the instant the dog got wind of human scent, because I paid attention to the changes in her breathing and "body language" when training.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline bigoledude

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 01:24:05 PM »
My Friend has a Rat Terrier that was bred for squirrel hunting.  That little female has found every deer she has gone looking for. 

There are many hunting leases in their area and, the word has spread concerning this little dog.  A lot of these other hunters have benefited from her ability to find wounded deer.   She has over 40 deer found as of the end of last year's season.  He almost lost her last year when the deer ran almost a mile before dying!  His hunting club bought one of those electronic tracking things for her.

Another guy we know has a male Jack Russell Terrier with about the same record as the little female Rat Terrier above.  Believe-it-or-not, this blood-line of Jack Russell's were bred for hog-hunting!  He also got lost once and, found two days later.

Never heard of a Draathaar.  Do they specialize in tracking wounded game? 

Offline Dee

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 01:27:40 PM »
I hunt hogs with my Jack Russell when I'm hunting swamp areas. He is the field variety not the house dog variety. He hates everything, so he's always hunting something to jump on. In his mind he weighs 200 lbs, but he actually weighs 22 lbs. He's also a squirrel hunting machine.

Offline bigoledude

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 06:36:30 PM »
That's about a perfect description of this guy's Jack Russell.  I'm afraid "Dude" is gonna get killed since he will fly right into anything that walks, flies, or crawls.  As a matter of fact, he cannot be called off of a snake and, has been bitten twice by cottonmouths.  Ain't slowed him down a lick!  

No matter where we go, lil Dude walks way out in front of us, scoping-out the area, just in case....  The whole while, looking back, wagging that bobbed-tail, just to let us know we are being well-protected!  

I promise you he is not aware of his size!  I'd love to get a puppy from him and a similar little female.

Dee, post a picture of your dog, would you? 

Offline mogwai

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 07:21:15 AM »
I have a Blue Heeler about six years old. <<>>What can I do to better train her? 
  Keep her on a leash while tracking.  You have much greater control and can direct her better.  I've used an Airedale to track wounded deer and she understands that we are on a different mission when the leash comes out.

Offline Dee

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 07:38:05 AM »
I have a Blue Heeler about six years old. <<>>What can I do to better train her? 
  Keep her on a leash while tracking.  You have much greater control and can direct her better.  I've used an Airedale to track wounded deer and she understands that we are on a different mission when the leash comes out.

Being an old Police K-9 trainer I can say that is very good advice and true.

Offline Dee

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 07:45:03 AM »
bigoledude, here he is. He hunts squirrel, hogs, rabbits, kills the neighbors cats when they get in our 1/2 acre fenced in domain, and copperheads are a thing of the past. He doesn't bark very often but, if he does, you need to go look cause he's honest.
He doesn't like anyone but us, he hates other dogs whether male of female, (unless SHE is feeling romantic), and regardless of size, the fight starts as soon as he gets there, and if you get in our yard without us, he eat your legs out from under you.
He like the Jeep, and when we hunt together he is constantly checking back in, and if we're squirrel huntin he barks on tree. If it's hogs, you can hear the commontion.
This is ole "Huff". Ain't he purty?

You can click to enlarge for a better look. He's white and lemon.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 07:55:33 AM »
get yourself some deer blood and leave a trail you know . then work the dog on it . two things will happen . First you introduce the dog to what you want it to track and two you see and learn how the dog acts when it smells blood . Do this many times in training and later on the trail of a deer you will know what's going on by the action of the dog .
 To be succesful as a dog trainer first you must accept that the dog will train you also . Its a trade for both and a trust is built .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline bigoledude

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2009, 10:26:22 AM »
Dude has the same exact body and head as your dog.  Except he is solid white and has that longer tight curly hair.  He seems to be the same size but, I wouldda never thought he weighed 22 pounds.  He's solid muscle so, maybe so. 

Have you ever come across a female you'd be willing to breed to?  Please keep me in mind if you do.  I'd love to have a bada$$ lil dog to hang with me everywhere I go.   

Offline moxgrove

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2009, 11:05:31 AM »
http://www.drahthaar.com/  also see my avatar. I also have as crazy little Jack Russel bitch who thinks she is 200 pounds of canine fury in a 15 pound package.

Offline Dee

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2009, 11:11:11 AM »
Dude has the same exact body and head as your dog.  Except he is solid white and has that longer tight curly hair.  He seems to be the same size but, I wouldda never thought he weighed 22 pounds.  He's solid muscle so, maybe so. 

Have you ever come across a female you'd be willing to breed to?  Please keep me in mind if you do.  I'd love to have a bada$$ lil dog to hang with me everywhere I go.   

I've bred him a couple times to a couple of Rat Terrier bitches but, I didn't like the look. I kept a male out of him that 3/4 Jack Russell, and Huff was the father on both sides. He was a terror, but he died.
If I ever find a good female, I would breed him again if she was registered, maybe if she wasn't if she was as good a dog as him. He's a slick haired dog but his brothers and sisters weren't, and some of his pups weren't. They were ruff coat.

Offline jacksrbtr46

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
  • H&R 45-70 SS Ultra Hunter, H&R 45-70 Lam Straight
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2009, 05:18:36 PM »
A Female Jack Russell is what we use.  She gets mad if we don't take her.  Gladly waits in the truck until we need her then she does her thing.  Hasn't failed to find one yet.  Great watch dog too and great with the kids. she just found this one for my Grandson.  That's her in the background, Cricket is her name

Jack
Aim small, miss small....                                      

When life throws you a curve, you learn to swerve...

Yesterday is a memory....
Today is the reality,....
Make the most of it....

Offline Wynn

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2009, 04:39:34 PM »
My 3 year old Bloodhound has recovered two wounded deer this season that otherwise would have been lost. Both were arrow shot (poorly) and went to deep, thorny swamp cover. She had no trouble tracking them in the deepest part of swamp. She has to be worked on the leash as she makes no sound when she finds them. Just lays down on top of them as if to say: This is my deer. Both hunters rewarded her with a can of her favorite food and a deer leg to chew on and me with a ham & backstrap. She lives to track wounded deer and hogs but will not trail a hot scent on a live deer.
American by birth; Southern by the Grace of God

Offline highwayman

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2009, 05:14:12 PM »
a guy used a mountain cur here for years.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2009, 04:26:23 AM »
My huntin' buddy has been trying to train his (part?) Bernese Mtn Dog, the one in the picture, to track deer.  The dog loves 'em and will lick every drop of blood off them if you'ld let him.   :D

Trouble is, we such dead shots they ain't much trackin that needs to be done...  :-\  Poor dog will die of old age if he waits for me to shoot one that runs off...  8)
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2010, 09:08:55 PM »
Yes Richard I know what you mean, I like em to drop right where I shoot em too.

Nice Jack Russel Dee. One of the families in our church has one and when they travel he stays with me. He has a attitude with other animals but not people. I been wanting to get one but the wife is not a dog person. She likes her cat. I've got the cat & dog to where they tolerate each other when he's over at my place but it's always a uneasy truce. Our cat is huge and starts the fights as often as the dog does.  ;D

Regards,
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline Dee

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2010, 01:53:46 AM »
Some times THEY SAY, if you raise a Jack Russell around cats (ugh) they will get along. I don't know, because I don't want to get along with cats. But I suspect you could if you tried. He would probably aggravate the cat to death.
Jack's many times don't do well with children that are rough on them, as they will take up for themselves where other dogs will let the kids maul them, so you have to think about that, and let the kids "learn to respect" the Jack.
I got mine for a reason. I had copperheads out the wazoo, and the wife was threatening to move in with my parents if we didn't get rid of them.
Huff is not socialized very well, because we have a little over a half acre of chain link, and it's HIS. He patrols it, and some of the neighborhood kids in the past teased him. NOT NOW! We're ok with it, cause I have the makings of a good hermit anyway. I have a shop, and a couple out buildings I am not good about locking within the fence, and he watches them.
All in all though Jack Russell males do not play well with other dogs, and especially cats. They pretty much leave livestock alone, but are better mousers that ANY cat I've ever seen. Lotta horse people love'em for that.

Offline shot1

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2010, 03:08:37 AM »
A friend of mine has a Jack Russel. Her son got it while he was off at collage, "Because he was so quite". He began to eat up everything in his apartment and clawed the door so much when left alone the landlord told him the dog had to go. He brought it home to his mother. The son had named the dog "tuft". After a few days his mother named him "SATAN". After eating everything in the house up he was banished to the fenced in back yard. That is his domain. It does not matter what it is if it comes close to the fence he attacks. If it comes inside the fence it is dead. This little dog is like a wolf on PCP and speed.

It does not matter what bread of dog you choose to trail up deer, like others have said, you just need to train them to let them know what you want them to do.

Offline Dee

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2010, 03:34:10 AM »
shot1 you left out digging. He digs little holes, and when you look in the hole, there is usually a rusted bolt, nut, or some other long ago lost item in it.
He has quite a nose, and he must smell these rusted items in the ground. The holes are never more than 2 two to four inchs deep, and never very big around.

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2010, 05:55:18 AM »
There is a guy in Meretta, GA that breeds Decker terriers. He claims they have all the good qualities of the jacks and none of the bad destructive ones. He will have another litter this spring available. I've been thinking about one of those.

We do travel several times a year so I'm still not convinced about getting one. Where I live the only practicle way to travel is to fly so taking a dog would pose some problems. If I could drive on trips I would already have a dog.

Regards,
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline Dee

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2010, 08:14:50 AM »
I got a Rat Terrrier a few weeks ago, and he may be one of the smartest dogs I have ever owned. He seems like he's just going to be a good runnin buddy. He uses his nose a lot, and ain't gonna be very big, maybe 10 lbs. I may try to put him on squirrel.