Author Topic: Please tell me about the ultra .223s  (Read 471 times)

Offline Rangeball

• Trade Count: (1)
Please tell me about the ultra .223s
« on: October 27, 2009, 06:35:11 AM »
I'm considering adding a .223 to my arsenal.  Really like the look of the ultras.  Is the bull barrel worth the extra $50?  I know it's 2" longer so should get between 25-50 more fps, not really a big deal to me.  If it's more accurate, it would be.  Does one balance better than the other?

Looks like the new ones are 1:9 twist.  What range of bullet weights are they likely to shoot well?  How accurate can I expect them to be?

Main use would be target and varmint.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Please tell me about the ultra .223s
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 10:57:58 AM »
Heaviest bullet I recollect doing well is 75gr, some have reported good luck with 40gr, but in general those on the high and low end aren't consistently reliable, each rifle is different, so just learn what shoots best, 55gr-70gr is a good reliable range to work with.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Rangeball

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 11:09:30 AM »
Thanks Tim.

Do you have any thoughts related to accuracy differences or balance point issues with the bull barrel?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 11:21:13 AM »
I only have one 223, a 1:12" 24" Ultra Varmint, for carry I'd opt for a standard contour 22" or a Superlight, from colony shooting, the 24" bull barrel would be optimum, for a good combination the 22" bull barrel or standard contour would be my pick. Mine, like most 1:12" barrels, shoots the cheap Win White box Value pack 45gr JHP ammo that Walmart sells for $25 a box now, used to be $14 for 40 rounds, into well under 1" at 100yds.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline puma4440

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 12:19:49 PM »
Like Tim, I have the 1-12" bull barrel, and mine loves the white box 45,55 grain JHP,and FMJ. My dies came in today, I'm going to do some testing with the Barnes 53 gr. TSX, and the 55gr. moly v-max.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 06:08:49 PM »
I use the 55gr Nosler Ballistic Tip.  I hit a 4" clay target every shot at 300 yards.  I have shot foxes all the way out to 400 yards.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline NickSS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 11:05:24 PM »
Mine has the 1 in 9 Twist barrel and I have never fired a factory load in it.  Mostly what I shoot are winchester 55 gr soft points over 26 gr of H335 powder.  This load consistently shoots around 1 inch at 100 yards for a five shot group.  I have had three shot groups as small as 1/2 inch but average is 5/8 to 3/4.  When I first bought it I got it so my son and I could go shoot prairie dogs in Montana.  I was so amazed with its accuracy that I used it and let my son use my CZ varmint.  We killed a bunch of PDs that year.

Offline Rangeball

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 03:38:08 AM »
Thanks Fellas :)