Author Topic: Bronze Cannon Balls  (Read 4564 times)

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Bronze Cannon Balls
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2009, 07:31:05 AM »
A vampire cannon would of course require casting silver balls to take them out...or would that be silver grape shot once they get airborn... might preform better than silver bullets out of a gun. Since silver is so soft, better make an amalgum like a a dentist would use filling teeth.. much harder, but still 60% or so silver.

No-No... Your confused silver balls are for Werewolves you have to fire a wooden stake through the heart of a vampire,

it would be best to pin him or her to a large board sort of like a butterfly........  ;D 

And leave out for viewing in bright sun light 
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2009, 08:32:04 AM »
I am of the belief that pure silver is needed . Some one said pure silver wasnt that effective in terminal effects ?

Pure lead works pretty good with bullets , but never mind it maybe the atomic number that does it and not terrible wound channel ? Your call , I'm sticking with pure silver .

That silver hits Vamp Blood zip pack pow ! dead vamp. ;D Stakes will work to like the three included with the pistol .

Then ,yes deoderize in the sun ,standard operation proceedure . Then turnem into Vamp Jerky , Stew , maybe fry some up and put it on a  pizza .

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline dan610324

• Trade Count: (0)
  • bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2009, 10:34:56 AM »
that teeth filling stuff , isnt that made from mercury ??
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2009, 11:08:05 AM »
From the Horses mouth.... Ummm... from Dentists mouth......

http://www.ada.org/public/topics/fillings.asp

"Amalgam Fillings

Used by dentists for more than a century, dental amalgam is the most thoroughly researched and tested restorative material among all those in use. It is durable, easy to use, highly resistant to wear and relatively inexpensive in comparison to other materials. For those reasons, it remains a valued treatment option for dentists and their patients.
      Amalgam Fillings

Dental amalgam is a stable alloy made by combining elemental mercury, silver, tin, copper and possibly other metallic elements. Although dental amalgam continues to be a safe, commonly used restorative material, some concern has been raised because of its mercury content. However, the mercury in amalgam combines with other metals to render it stable and safe for use in filling teeth.

While questions have arisen about the safety of dental amalgam relating to its mercury content, the major U.S. and international scientific and health bodies, including the National Institutes of Health, the U.S. Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Food and Drug Administration and the World Health Organization, among others have been satisfied that dental amalgam is a safe, reliable and effective restorative material.

Because amalgam fillings can withstand very high chewing loads, they are particularly useful for restoring molars in the back of the mouth where chewing load is greatest. They are also useful in areas where a cavity preparation is difficult to keep dry during the filling replacement, such as in deep fillings below the gum line. Amalgam fillings, like other filling materials, are considered biocompatible—they are well tolerated by patients with only rare occurrences of allergic response."

You will note that no bronze is used for filling teeth, so this valuable resource will not be in jeopardy and will continue in use for casting cannon balls and cannon.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2009, 01:25:44 PM »
Bronze teeth ! thats old school hard corp !  "You want irory or gold ?" ..."Ill have bronze thank you !"

"Oh tough guy eh? , you know we have to pour them in place ?"

"make sure it's hot enough for a good braze Doc. , and save the novicain for small boys and women .!"

;D :D ;) :) ;D  ::)
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2009, 02:28:28 PM »
Bronze teeth ! thats old school hard corp !  "You want irory or gold ?" ..."Ill have bronze thank you !"

"make sure it's hot enough for a good braze Doc. , and save the novicain for small boys and women .!"

The REAL hard-core feature of brass teeth is one's ability to handle the taste of Brasso!
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2009, 03:36:56 PM »

The REAL hard-core feature of brass teeth is one's ability to handle the taste of Brasso!

well without the Brasso I think we know where the term "Green teeth" came from ...... 

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2009, 04:52:12 PM »

I Drink BRASSO for breakfest ! In the afternoons I'll have a Triscut or two with a slice of Duraglit hold the Brie ,

and a Sam Adams draft . Thank You Very Much  ;D

Gary

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2009, 05:00:10 PM »

I Drink BRASSO for breakfest !
Gary

Brasso or Bosco?    ;D
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2009, 05:51:07 PM »
What is a bosco ?   

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2009, 06:12:26 PM »
kabar

amalgam is a sort of bronze alloy according to the info in your post   ;D
its both copper and tin in it   ;D

maybe its time to start collecting amalgam for cannon casting  ::)
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2009, 06:16:21 PM »
What is a bosco ?   

A chocolate additive to milk, most of us have experienced during our childhood, you probably had to suffer through
Nestle's chocolate syrup having bronze teeth and all.....
;D

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2009, 06:20:39 PM »
kabar

amalgam is a sort of bronze alloy according to the info in your post   ;D
its both copper and tin in it   ;D

maybe its time to start collecting amalgam for cannon casting  ::)

"Dental amalgam is a stable alloy made by combining elemental mercury, silver, tin, copper and possibly other metallic elements."

Boy! how did I miss that! Now all I have to do is bore a tiny hole in the filling add a touch hole and I can really shoot my mouth off! ;D

I guess I'll have some proper teeth cast by RocklockI,  think I'll have them custom fitted with Dolphin's!

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2009, 06:29:04 PM »
I would love to see that ;D
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2009, 06:35:01 PM »
Dan,

The good news is I already have my concealed carry permit!  ;D

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2009, 06:46:45 PM »
what bore size and touch hole size ??
does that permit incl cannons also  :o
or maybe it will be an mortar instead as their shape is better suited for concealed mouth placement
will you use a linstock or electric firing ??
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2009, 06:59:13 PM »
The real question is, "how is he going to keep his powder dry?"   ;D
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Victor3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (22)
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2009, 07:32:48 PM »

No-No... Your confused silver balls are for Werewolves you have to fire a wooden stake through the heart of a vampire,

Armchair experts on the ambulatory deceased ("walking dead" for you laymen) crack me up sometimes. Silver doesn't hurt werewolves at all. Need proof? Here's one being hit with a .999 fine 3" silver cannon ball. Still plenty alive, aint he?  :P

Mercury is the correct material for werewolves. It was later confused with silver and boy, have some people who thought they were safe with a few sterling bullets been unpleasantly surprised. They would have been better off with bullets made from amalgam filling material...

http://www.instructables.com/id/S1HLUEDF8DOZQNZ/

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly, one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

Sherlock Holmes

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2009, 08:28:09 PM »
KABAR2, the "directionally misguided" (confused) of your answer have been properly schooled by reading your posted explaination. However, don't read the comments below the discource, as you will become even further confused, as were the various writers argueing amoung themselves! I agree with you, the amalgam filling material with it's various metals content would do the critters in! Was that Werewolf impaled to the tree by a silver/mercury unicorn's horn? A silver cannon ball would cost a pretty penny today! A more careful aim would have torn his heart out with that 3" silver cannon ball, no more Werewolf! BL
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline dan610324

• dont have
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2009, 02:12:48 AM »
how about a hollow silver bullet filled with mercury ??

ok this is good to know , but how many of us have ever been hunting werewolfs or vampires ??
or actually seen either of them in real life when still awake   ;D
I dont belive we got them here in sweden as we are located too far north from transylvania
but who knows , someday maybe , better to be prepared   ;D

maybe even put in some toot sticks to get a combination suitable for both of them
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac

better safe than sorry

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2009, 02:33:34 AM »
Well guys the good news is the tiny tooth cannon works !

The bad news the tiny tooth cannon works!

I had a tooth cleaning appointment this morning .......... and there is an accidental misfire.........

Now being sued by my dentist! .......  So the bottom line is don't try this at home!

Sorry no smoke and fire photo's tooth impounded by local PD until their investigation is done......

RocklockI I won't be ordering any custom teeth for awhile........

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2009, 03:57:06 AM »
The efforts you guys go to stay on topic...10 points for technique, 10 points for execution.   :)

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2009, 04:32:52 AM »
Dan I dont think that you hunt the wearwolfs or zombos ....they hunt you ! ;D

That would be a good name "Tiny Tooth Cannon Works" ;D

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2009, 07:44:58 AM »

That would be a good name "Tiny Tooth Cannon Works" ;D

Your welcome to it!  ;D

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2009, 03:42:39 PM »
Staying on topic...hummm...what does a bricklayer use to join bricks in a wall? Mortar...what is the filling in a tooth? Amalgam, a type of "mortar"... how can we relate?...the metalic content of amalgam...tin, copper ...Bronze...bronze cannon balls! Yeah! That works!
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline rio grande

• Trade Count: (39)
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2010, 05:21:00 PM »
A vampire cannon would of course require casting silver balls to take them out...or would that be silver grape shot once they get airborn... might preform better than silver bullets out of a gun. Since silver is so soft, better make an amalgum like a a dentist would use filling teeth.. much harder, but still 60% or so silver.

If you had silver fillings and you bit a werewolf, would it kill him?

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2010, 05:34:59 PM »
Silver is a lot harder than most metals used for bullet making.  I once saw an analysis of the Lone Ranger's use of silver bullets (which you never saw him shooting, only handing out) and the conclusion was that they would have worn out the soft barrels of old time SAA's quickly.  Don't know if this was a joke or not.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2010, 07:59:35 PM »
Rio Grande, good question, but from what we have learned, that just might work. However, you might get torn apart before the effects hit him, so it could turn into a lose-lose situation....you lose sooner, he lose later? George, don't know about that, I made jewelry for over 25 years as a hobby, and know that it is pretty easy to scratch/scrape/peel silver, with a knife, or even a rough piece of metal. I wouldn't think silver would have much affect on a barrel, except to leave a coating inside you would have to ream out, much like lead. BoomLover

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2010, 12:29:59 PM »
I've cast tin (96.5%, silver 3% and copper 0.5%) into ingots (and a few bullets).

It measures 42-43 on the Rockwell B scale, which is just what the copper jacketed bullets are.

Just guessing, but I'd bet that's harder than silver.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2010, 04:13:34 PM »
Tim, with 96.5% Tin, 3% Silver and 0.5% copper, yep, it is way harder than Silver itself. Tin does it, not so much the Silver or Copper.....