Author Topic: dryfire?  (Read 528 times)

Offline Frank44

• Trade Count: (0)
dryfire?
« on: October 27, 2009, 06:29:17 PM »
Does it hurt to dryfire an empty NEF?
Frank

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: dryfire?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 06:38:18 PM »
The owner's manual specifically recommends against it, there are members here that will say it's fine, but I see no practical reason to take the chance of ruining a firing pin or transfer bar when a snap cap or fired case can be placed in the chamber to protect the parts that may break.  ;)  You can make a permanent snap cap by depriming a spent case and placing a mechanical pencil eraser in the primer pocket or filling the primer pocket with RTV silicone, they both work well.

Tim

http://www.hr1871.com/documents/manuals/HR_NEF_HANDI_RIFLE_MANUAL.pdf
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline peternap

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 12:23:25 AM »
On all firearms, I've heard it both ways for as many years as I can count. Obviously, it's not good in rimfires. In centerfires, it tends to cause some firing pins to crystallize and break. In break open designs, I've seen a number of guns that excessive dryfiring, peened the receiver face out around the firing pin hole. I have no idea with the Handi's but as Tim said...why do it when you can use a snap cap

Offline peternap

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 12:24:07 AM »
 /////////

Offline mitch132

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 04:25:57 AM »
I had a single shot Savage 12 gauge, I think a 94C, that got dry fired one too many times when I was in lower high school. One day it sent the tip of the firing pin flying across the room. Ever since then, I don't dry fire anything but bolt action centerfire rifles and 1911 pistols. Even then I try to keep it to a minimum.

Offline Sensai

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
  • Takeoffs are optional, landings are manditory!
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 05:31:40 AM »
I agree with Tim, it doesn't make sense to take a chance when the preventative is so easy.  Besides, I've got CRS so sooner or later I would forget which can and which can't be dry fired. ;D
Life's too short to waste any of it,

Gary

Offline peternap

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 06:26:51 AM »
I agree with Tim, it doesn't make sense to take a chance when the preventative is so easy.  Besides, I've got CRS so sooner or later I would forget which can and which can't be dry fired. ;D

Some day I'll tell you about how I shot Col. Klink (Hogans Heros for you younguns) right between the eyes :-[

Offline Mitch in MI

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.sportsmenforkerryedwards.com/
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 09:14:34 AM »
Col Klink. heehee.
When we were kids, I asked a friend how his family's TV set got a cracked picture tube (looked like a stone break in a windshield, a small impact mark with a crack radiating out from it).
He told me his little brother was watching Gilligan's Island and decided to shoot Ginger in the, er, chest with his BB gun. That was how I learned a TV tube has two layers, the outer layer was cracked but the inner glass still held vacuum.
I can imagine how upset their father must have been when he got home.

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 09:40:35 AM »
I've heard both sides.  Some against it, some indifferant.  I for one used to be against it.  Then I started working as a shooting instructor.  Now during each beginning class every gun gets dry fired hundreds of times.  The volume of shots would ruin a gun if it did do damage.  In over 50 years of teaching and dryfiring all the guns in the TVSA inventory.  The total number of firing pins that have been replaced is five.  So as far as I am concerned that old wives tail is out the window.  Yes I take my Handi's in and use them for instruction as well.  Hundreds of dry firings and no problems. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline kevinsmith5

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 03:02:34 PM »
That's five firing pins that WOULDN'T have to be replaced with snap caps.  I think you just proved Tim's point....
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!