Author Topic: Trail Rock Ordnance  (Read 3227 times)

Offline AnarchyPrep

• Trade Count: (0)
Trail Rock Ordnance
« on: October 28, 2009, 03:06:19 AM »
Anyone familiar with this maker?

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Trail Rock Ordnance
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 03:17:37 AM »
Other than being the newest listing on the Cannon Internet resource list, don't know nothing about them.

Offline artillerybuff

• Battery D 5th US
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 05:58:29 AM »
While I was waiting for the second relay at Camp Grayling in July this year to shoot my Parrott, Matt Switlik announced over the P.A. a unit in the first relay was short handed and could use some help.  I of course can never get in enough shooting, especially a rare treat to shoot at 1,200 yards, so I volunteered to help.  Plus I always like falling in with other units when I can to grow & learn as much as I can, not to mention the great contacts you can develop.  Five years ago I fell in with Battery D 1st Michigan at the 140th Franklin Tennessee event and got to work under the command of the president of The National Civil War Artillery Association (NCWAA) as well as learned how to make friction primers from his 1st Lt. (have been making them ever since).  Needless to say the Michigan Battery had a very tight drill which I brought back to my own unit at home.

Anyway, back to Trail Rock Ordnance (TRO).  When I got over there I met Steve Cameron, owner of TRO.  I had purchased many sabots from him over the years which were well made, but had never seen his carriage work until this day.  It was as nice as any I have ever seen and his prices are very competitive.  I had a great time with his crew too.  After spending some time with Steve and seeing his equipment first hand, I would not hesitate to purchase either parts or completed carriages from him.

Anthony Variz
Battery D 5th US

Offline AnarchyPrep

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 06:12:33 AM »
Thanks for the recommendation Anthony.  I am looking at buying both the tube and the carriage from him and just trying to get info on the quality/sturdiness of his products.  What style were they using?

Offline gary michie

• Avid Poster
    • michigun3.com
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 08:09:42 AM »
Hi: ;D
One Eagle speaking to another, TRO does very fine work. I  have a Mountain Howtzer elevator screw they made dnd it is a nice piece.

Gary

Offline CrufflerSteve

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 08:13:53 AM »
I got my 2.25" Bronze Mountain Rifle from him. It is well made and I got it at a good price.

At the time he was using the same foundry and liner maker as Steen. He also made a great carriage for it.

Steve was very helpful through all of this and beyond. He is a serious live fire shooter and really researches what goes into an accurate round.

He's also really, really big on period correct. If the original barrel had a certain rifling, he will follow it exactly. He got quite offended when I suggested using more modern knowledge to optimize rifling.

Steve

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 08:33:14 AM »

He's also really, really big on period correct. If the original barrel had a certain rifling, he will follow it exactly. He got quite offended when I suggested using more modern knowledge to optimize rifling.

Well you have to love purisits they go with the attiitude that if you could drop their creation in a field in 1863 with a time machine
nobody would look twice ..... except maybe at the makers name.......
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cpt Ed

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 06:35:55 AM »

Here is my early Christmas present from Steve Cameron of Trail Rock Ordnance.

After a round trip of 1300 miles, in very questionable weather, I visited with Steve Cameron in Blaine, Tenn. To fit my 12pdr Mtn Howitzer barrel to his newly created First Model Prairie Carriage also to have him install a front sight and pendulum hausse bracket to the breech. It is amazing that we were able to drop the barrel into his carriage and have it fit perfectly into the trunnion plates, rim base distance, and on the elevating screw. Both the barrel and carriage were built to the exacting 19th century specification and this is why they went together without any issues. This carriage is a quality strong and well-built platform for live firing. It was disassembled and because of its size and weight, was placed inside my Dodge Van for the trip back to Florida.

Steve informed me that his First Model Prairie carriages have been tested in Michigan at the long-range artillery shoot with a full service charge and proper military weight projectile. It stood up very well under the pressure and recoil without any problems.

The other carriage I purchased with this cannon was constructed by a reenactor for only reenacting with smoke, noise and fire and would not stand up to live firing.

Always think safety...be a More Complete Cannoneer.

"I HATE SMALL TOWNS BECAUSE ONCE YOU'VE SEEN THE CANNON IN THE PARK, THERE'S NOTHING ELSE TO DO."

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 06:55:03 AM »
...like a glove!!!

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 07:01:26 AM »
Looks beautiful together......
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 07:33:33 AM »
Cpt Ed,
It would appear that your trip was well worth the effort, that is a very good looking rig.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 07:52:45 AM »
Ed, did you get any info on the wood they use, what kind, how it is dried (age or kiln, time in kiln)  etc.?  One failing I've seen in some carriage builders is the use of insufficiently dried wood; some even used red oak in place of white oak and wanted you to think it was six of one and half doz. of the other.

Offline Cpt Ed

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 12:48:48 PM »

John,

He did mention that white oak was used.
I don't have the answer on the other questions but will email Steve a copy of your posting and share with you the reply
when received.

Stay tuned for my 2010 New Years present from Dom Carpenter.
Metal carriage with wooden wheels, etc.  ;D ;D ;D
Always think safety...be a More Complete Cannoneer.

"I HATE SMALL TOWNS BECAUSE ONCE YOU'VE SEEN THE CANNON IN THE PARK, THERE'S NOTHING ELSE TO DO."

Offline MHgunner

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2010, 08:58:19 AM »
Gents,
I purchased my Howitzer from TRO in 2009. It was shot at Grayling in '09 and this year. We didn't win anything, but using a service charge we did hit the target at 600 yds. Not too bad for a MH up against a Napoleon. No ill affects apparent with his carriage as a result of over 30 live rds. down range. He is relaiable and builds good stuff and great to work with. I highly recommend him and his products. :D
Dave

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 09:37:52 AM »
Welcome aboard, Dave! You've got a fine looking mt. howitzer.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.