Author Topic: Question 4 Cactus Cris  (Read 934 times)

Offline J.W.Neely

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=Dragoons-sptia
Question 4 Cactus Cris
« on: October 14, 2003, 04:13:52 PM »
OK, I have ordered the replacement Treso nipples for my Uberti, question, what is the best percussion cap? I understand that Remington and CCIS are different sizes. The web page from Thunder ridge says they use # 11s.... Rem or CCI?
I will be waiting with abated breath for the answer.
What saith the Cactus?.
Thanks FFG

Offline Cactus Cris

Question 4 Cactus Cris
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2003, 03:52:08 PM »
I sayth-- Reminton #11   Fit and won't fall off even after firing.  Didn't have 1 fall into the works.  Had to pick them out b4 reloading. :-D
Cactus Cris  SASS 2790  Darkside Posse, Cart maker, Corral Keeper, Gpa of 6

Offline J.W.Neely

• Avid Poster
Question 4 Cactus Cris
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2003, 12:21:28 AM »
Thanks for the info " O great Dark Lord of Soot"

Great, even  "our Wal-Mart" carries Remington # 11s. You have to give Wally World credit when credit is due.

Speaking of Black Powder, a old gent gave me an unopened can of fffg powder yesterday, Austin Powder Co. from Cleveland, Ohio.

http://www.austinpowder.com/

And, this past weekend I won a can of that new fangle Triple 7 in fffg as a door prize, the can says ' no sulfur', what were they thinkin, no sulfur, it can't smell right without the sulfur!

Dang good week for free powder!

Offline Cactus Cris

Question 4 Cactus Cris
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2003, 11:22:05 AM »
Just be carefull what ya puts that 777 into! :eek:   Mighty potent stuff.  Cut back a min. of 20% for the volume. :roll:

Offline J.W.Neely

• Avid Poster
Question 4 Cactus Cris
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2003, 03:54:51 PM »
The 777 will only see the Stoeger 12 ga , I save the real stuff for my other irons.
I was working at Texas Jacks today ( nice folks over there)  and picked up a new period correct powder flask, got hold of a Cash capper, ( yes I paid !)and   I am waiting on  the tesco nipples. This weekend I will shot the Armys  with the Uberti nipples, because I just can't wait.

Offline Cactus Cris

Question 4 Cactus Cris
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2003, 04:45:41 PM »
Tried 777 in my 12ga. loads.  Used the same volume as I was using the real BP. :eek:   After I re-set my shoulder, I shot the other 2 and then went out to pick up the target.  Blew it over!!!!  Here again- CUT THE LOAD DOWN!!!! :eek:

Offline J.W.Neely

• Avid Poster
Question 4 Cactus Cris
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2003, 03:05:52 PM »
OK, I will mind the 777 stuff.
Well I finally shot the Armys today, I am in love!
I had several misfires with the original nipples, but that was ok, I learned about the joy of spent caps making their way down inside the hammer .
I also learned that the 22 grs of fffg that the powder flask was throwing ain't enough, it likes 30 grains, now I have to find a new spout.

Offline Blackhawk44

• A Real Regular
Question 4 Cactus Cris
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2003, 01:14:21 PM »
When you go to the Big Town (SA), check Don's on 410 & Fred Rd. and Powderhorn on 410W.  Don's should have your spout for sure (or can get it).  Es' ta bueno? BOL. BH

Offline J.W.Neely

• Avid Poster
Question 4 Cactus Cris
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2003, 10:27:22 PM »
Thanks for the info 44, one of these days I need to visit  The Powder Horn, it sounds like a nice toy store.

I found a 30 gr spout at Texas Jacks, for real real cheap, and the new nipples just got here, seems like UPS lost my shipment.
Bob ,at Thunder Ridge http://www.thunder-ridge-muzzleloading.com/ ,was real nice to work with and those new Treso nipples sure hold a # 11 cap  just perfect, so now if I can just find some free time to go make smoke.

Offline Super Rat

Question 4 Cactus Cris
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2003, 07:29:13 AM »
The 777 works VERY well in the revolvers, I've been using it lately. Try it you'll like it.

Very accurate. I'm shooting full cylinders of it in my Uberti Remington Navy .36, it compresses so you can get a lot in. I would not shoot that much in a Colt, but it's working great in the full-frame Remington. I carry this pistol for back up when hunting some pretty wild country, so I like the concept of a very powerful load. Of course I don't use the heavy for plinking or target shooting. It would sure make for a powerful gun in a .45 Remington Army.

And did I mention ACCURATE? And of course, easy to clean up.
It's good stuff for revolvers. Don't pass it by on hearsay advice.
Brown Bess .75 calibre carbine, .62 calibre Jaeger, .58 Calibre slug gun.

Offline Good time Charlie

• Avid Poster
t 7
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2003, 12:24:58 PM »
I have been shooting the t7 at 35 grains in my roa and it is a pretty hefty load.

Offline Full House

Question 4 Cactus Cris
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2003, 09:56:55 AM »
ffg, I learned from the History Channel (Tales of the Gun) that any Colt revolver has to be pointed skyward as the hammer is recocked after a shot.  That way the spent cap fall on the ground as opposed to falling into hammer and sear mech.

Also, try RWS 10750 German made caps, they are hot.
Full House

Offline Cactus Cris

Question 4 Cactus Cris
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2003, 05:06:00 PM »
Shot my 51's Sat and had no problem that was caused by the guns.  Used Swiss 3f  20gr & a rnd ball for one stage.  Won't do that again!  Loading lever dropped down after every shot.  Put it back up, latch, shoot, put up & latch  etc. for ten shots.  Stupid clock kept ticking!  Used my usual 20gr 3f Elephant and they worked fine.    " If it ain't broke" :roll:
   Now I am on the prowl for 1860's  44cal  5 1/2" bbl.  1/2 fluted cylinders  by UBERTI.   Taylors has them in cat web site, but they don't answer Emails from me. :?   Anyone know where to get a pair????