Author Topic: pyrodex to 777 what to change?  (Read 884 times)

Offline oldfart

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
pyrodex to 777 what to change?
« on: October 28, 2009, 02:28:52 PM »
i have decided to change from pyrodex powder to 777 powder, i now use 80 grains of pyrodex. if i use 80 grains of 777 how will my bullet impact change?, i don't want to use too many shots as powder and bullets are getting higher all the time. i now have my optima shooting dead on at 100 yds with pyrodex, i checked with hodgen and they reccomend dropping the charge down to 65 with 777 to make bullet impact the same. i would like to know from ya'll that have made the switch to 777 and how ya'll did, it seems 65 is a little light and besides my measure only goes in 10 grain increasements so i could drop to 70 if thats true. thanks for any help.

Offline anweis

• A Real Regular
Re: pyrodex to 777 what to change?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 09:26:46 AM »
There is no good answer to your question. Only you can find out, by shooting with the same load that you would be using while hunting, with the bore exactly how it would be while hunting.
Hogdon's folks are right. Their 777 loose powder is more powerful that Pyrodex. Bullet impact will change when you change powders. 65 grains of 777 is a load sufficient for 100 yards. You don't need more to kill deer.
Try 70 grains and see what happens. You will need a few shots anyway, to check your sights or scope.

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 10:27:02 AM »
now remember 80gr T7 is equal to about 90-93  grains Pyrodex.  So in order to get the same performance you will need to use 70gr T7 to = 80gr pyrodex.

You may have to resight in again. i know that ive always had to resight when switching from pyrodex to t7. i use nothing but pyrodex now as its a lot more consistent.

Offline oldfart

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 01:05:16 PM »
the reason i'm switching is cleaning. i used 2-50 grain 777 pellets last year but got that bad crud ring. a friend of mine did the same, he recently switched to 777 powder and at 80 grains loose powder he doesn't have the crud ring anymore and he says the barrel is easier to clean powder from than the pellets was. i've always had trouble getting my barrels clean with pyrodex, so if 777 powder will clean up easier and not corode as bad i'll switch. so i guess i'm asking is 777 easier to clean and less corosive than pyrodex? thanks for all the help.

Offline S.S.

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2009, 10:47:00 AM »
Crud ring comes right out with warm water and a nylon brush.
Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
"A wise man does not pee against the wind".

Offline anweis

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 01:58:58 AM »
so if 777 powder will clean up easier and not corode as bad i'll switch. so i guess i'm asking is 777 easier to clean and less corosive than pyrodex? thanks for all the help.

I don't know, i've only tried Blackhorn 209 and 777 loose. With 80 gr. of 777  i get a crud ring which i can feel with the cleaning rod. It cleans very easily with one moist and one dry patch, to shoot at the range. I can reload once without cleaning. At home, the ring is easy to clean with hot water and soap, and after i dry and oil the rifle, it does not corrode.
Blackhorn 209 is the greatest thing invented since hot water. It burns clean, leaves little residue, it's accurate, pushes bullets fast, no cleaning needed between shots, and is not corrosive. It's expensive. I have one can left of 777; as soon as it's over i will switch to BH 209, i will probably shoot less. With BH 209, my $150 muzzleloader is as accurate as my $1,600  centerfire rifle.

Offline oldfart

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 05:45:36 AM »
i went to the range this morning, the 777 was about 2inches off from where the rs was putting the bullet. the amazing thing is with 80 grains of loose powder i didn't have the crud ring ;D  i am glad i switched and when i got home cleaning was so much better and quicker. thanks to everyone for ya'lls help.