Author Topic: Is Reloading Cost Effective ?  (Read 3547 times)

Offline lrs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Is Reloading Cost Effective ?
« on: October 29, 2009, 11:15:23 AM »
I inherited a bunch of reloading equipment, more than enough to get started.
I was thinking of reloading, mainly b/c of the cost of factory ammo.
I bought some factory .45 acp rounds, 230gr, FMJ, last week, about $40 for a box of 100, comes to about .40 cents a round.
I've seen 30-06 ammo running $30 and up a box.
That's just crazy.
Roughy what would it cost to reload 100 comparable .45acp rounds, or a hundred 30-06 rounds.
For the 30-06, I would likely use 165 gr nosler partitions, and about 50 grains of 4064 per round.
Thanks for any advice.
" we are screwed "

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
Re: Is Reloading Cost Effective ?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 11:58:21 AM »
I can duplicate the best premium 30-06 ammo for less than $1 per round, using once fired brass and my components.  That is saving 1/3 the price of your -06 ammo mentioned above, and I doubt $30 a box was for premium ammo.

If using cast bullets and moderate loads in 45acp, there is no reason you should not be able to buy bulk components and load them for $.10 per round or $10 per hundred using your own brass. 

The price of a lot of the components have gone up in the last 18 months so these prices are probably a little outdated, but this is what it would cost me with the components I have on hand and what it cost me to purchase them a couple of years ago.

If you have 100 -06 brass and the reloading equipment, you can purchase a box of 100 primers ($3.50), a pound of powder ($26.50) and two boxes of premium bullets ($75).  Spend time reloading and you have 100 rounds of premium ammo for $105 and you still have close to 1/3 pound of the powder left.  To buy this 100 rounds of ammo at $30 per box would cost you $150.   For a little of your time, you just saved $45. 

Yeah, if you have the equipment, it is clearly cost effective.

Steve  :)

"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 12:11:35 PM »
Depends on how you define "cost effective".

You won't spend any less money on ammo you'll just get to shoot more for the money you spend.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 12:27:30 PM »
Aside from the cost benefits, there's the ability to tailor the rounds to suit your specific weapon. Plus, it's fun.
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline lrs

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 12:31:59 PM »
Thanks Graybeard, I define that as cost effective.
10 cents a rd vs 40 cents a rd, that's a whole new ball game.
And the $30 box of 30-06 shells was not premium ammo.
For me that's comparable to paying $8 for a gallon of gas.
I've got 30-06 brass, primers, some powder ( don't remember what ) 165gr nosler partitions, and a brother who can show me how to do all this.
And my main hunting rifle, an FN Browning, 30-06, has always liked 165gr partitions.
I don't know if any of you have a crystal ball, but guess what's gonna happen.
" we are screwed "

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 01:06:08 PM »
it's not cost effective.

you just end up shooting more on the same budget.

you spend the same in the end, counting the amortization of the $500 of toys and tools you end up buying.

-Matt
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 02:18:59 PM »
I guess I am going to jump in here with my 2 cents. Since you already own the equipment, you only need to buy the componets. Hopefully you have brass left over from the factory loads you shot, so you will only need to buy some bullets, powder and primers of some sort (any you can get a hold of right now). You can save a bunch of money if you shoot very much. If you do not, you still get the satisfaction of rolling your own and save a few bucks in the deal. Just beware, reloading is a thing that either you will enjoy or consider a chore. If you get enjoyment out of it, it is a great hobby and you will find yourself making up excuses to go to the range to test your latest load. As advised, you will shoot more.  If you find it a chore, then you will be making excuses to buy your ammo - no matter the cost.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline kevinsmith5

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 04:09:16 PM »
The equivalent ammo to what I load is hard to put a price on.  550 gr hard cast flat nose loads loads in 45-70 at 1550 fps are pretty much in the buffalo bore range.  That costs $75 for 20 rounds, I figure I'm spending $1.07 a piece.  My 410 gr loads cost way less than that.
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 04:35:01 PM »
I can load 38's for about the cost of 22rimfire.  I can load 45-70 for about /20c each, excluding the brass.  That of course is with my cast bullets.  With proper care, you can build a better bullet than you can buy anyway.....
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline beerbelly

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 02:47:08 AM »
I have a .260 Steyr  and a .303 British. It is very cost effective for these two. But not so much for some others.
                              Beerbelly

Offline skb2706

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2009, 04:44:21 AM »
I found it strange you would post that question on a forum titled "Handloading". Nope its not cost effective, we all come here to speak of how we''re getting ripped off by doing it, what a waste of time and money it can be and how we should have never started.

Of course its cost effective........................

Come out here, bring a good varmint rifle and 20 boxes of factory ammo. Shoot some pds with me. I'll shoot my handloads and at the end of the day figure out what it cost you and figure out what it cost me. You'll never ask that question again.

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 04:48:41 AM »
I think his question was more "is it about saving money, or is it because you get better loads for your gun" oriented.

Offline lrs

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 05:03:43 AM »
I have a # of guns I can not hardly afford to shoot anymore, if I use factory ammo.
I have 2- 9.3x62, a 9.3x.338 wildcat, 3 x 30-06's, a 1911 .45acp, a new S&W .38, an old .257 roberts, a ruger blackhawk with interchangeable cylinders, one is 45 colt the other 45acp, and a nice 8mm 98 mauser.
A day at the range would cost me $500 to shoot all these guns.
" we are screwed "

Offline skb2706

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2009, 05:27:08 AM »
I have a # of guns I can not hardly afford to shoot anymore, if I use factory ammo.
I have 2- 9.3x62, a 9.3x.338 wildcat, 3 x 30-06's, a 1911 .45acp, a new S&W .38, an old .257 roberts, a ruger blackhawk with interchangeable cylinders, one is 45 colt the other 45acp, and a nice 8mm 98 mauser.
A day at the range would cost me $500 to shoot all these guns.

You just made my point. Not to mention the fact that your wildcat 9.3 will never be shot if you or somebody doesn't load for it.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2009, 05:46:11 AM »
Stay away from premium bullets and you will save even more money, alot more.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2009, 07:19:16 AM »
Well, GB hit it on the head, first time out!

I am a long term reloader and fan of the process, but ---------------------

At my "advanced age", I have come to the place I try to paint a full picture to those who show some intrest.

If the potential reloader is not willing to take the time/AND MONEY to follow the process to a proper end, they should just buy a few boxes of factory stuff, shoot their 5 - 20 total rounds per year and be done with it.

To do the process properly, buying rifle brass in bulk for "all one lot# consistancy", taking the time to test as many powders and/or bullets as needed to get quality results,  doing a proper prep and loading process etc. etc. etc. etc., takes time and money many are not willing to devote.

They are better off never starting.

For example, my son-in-law was talking about getting a couple 270s for he and my daughter and loading for same.

Explaining that one load may or may not give the desired results from both rifles, the brass unless improperly over sized/over worked may not function through both rifles and that it the process could come to the point of needing a dedicated set of dies and loading components for EACH rifle, allowed him to rethink the situation.

With his present life style, factory ammo is the way to go.

Would I be willing to go through the process for him? YES!  But he needs to understand the potential costs and time involved.

Reloading for optimum results is not a one size fits all situation and I feel that is info I need to be up-front about.

One friend bowed out after just beginning, while another is taking ahold with a willingness to see the process through to a proper conclusion.

The first can far better afford to jump in, but the second while lower on the economic scale is commited.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2009, 08:35:22 AM »
"tis true, one must be committed to this hobby, just to stay on the safe side of things. Stuff happens. If we stay committed, we will most likely catch it before we get to the range. I also have two rifles each in 257Roberts and 30-06 as well as multiple 41Mags. Years ago, we kept the brass seperated, but used the same dies. Only the custom 30-06 gave me any trouble with this method. I had to trim a bit off the bottom of the sizing die to coax it into sizing "other" brass to fit. It's custom chamber was a minimum fit. With several thousand pieces of brass, I no longer seperate the brass, I simply full length size all of it to fit the Custom rifle and the Remington doesn't mind at all. Minute of Elk accuracy from both rifles is way good enough for my needs. Same with the 257Roberts. I size them to fit the tighter chamber and the other one doesn't care. If I were bench-resting or "money shooting" I would probably take a different tack, but I'm not and this has worked very well for the last 50 plus years. Some of this brass dates from 1954 and has all kinds of headstamps. It all goes bang.

One of the neat things about reloading/handloading is that you can keep it simple or make it as technically critical as you care to. What is important to one person is fine but not necesarily important to another. Some things are important regardless. Stay safe, keep learning, have fun.

Some guns have to be home rolled or they don't get shot. Some guns get home rolled because they can. Some shoot better, some don't. I've come to the point where it is less about cost-saving and more about being a part of a tremendous hobby and a great group of guys to bounce things off of and share ideas.

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2009, 08:48:29 AM »
Withe the cost of factory 45-70 ammo as high as it is I do save money, but unless you buy premium stuff I also have to do it to get loads hotter than trapdoor. And a 30-30 single shot can be hand loaded with bullet profiles no factory will load.  Shooting cast bullets I pay only about 10 cents per 30 cal bullet and 25 cents per 45-70.  Going to start for the 44 mag and 357 soon.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2009, 11:04:39 AM »
I can say with complete honesty that I DO NOT enjoy reloading ammo. I used to not mind it as much as I do today but I don't think I ever really "enjoyed" the task. However at my income level if I wish to shoot very much I must reload in order to do so.

Getting as much of my components as I do at no cost adds yet another factor to the equation I must do it in a more organized fashion and then report on results periodically to justify those free components even tho the most difficult of things to get must be purchased at my own expense and often a review will wind up costing me more than I'd have spent by just buying it all tho I do shoot a lot more as a result. Still the reviews become more like a chore that must be done which takes some of the fun from it.

Since I lost my best friend and shooting partner (Billy Doss) several years back shooting just isn't the fun to me it used to be. I find that shooting alone just isn't even remotely as much fun as it was shooting with a close friend and long time shooting partner. I don't shoot nearly as much now either and it seems that the writing of reviews now takes me much longer as well.

If I were rich and money absolutely no object I'd never reload another round as long as I live. Factory ammo these days is accurate enough that if you search for it you can find a load that will shoot pretty much as well as any handload you put together but to find it you'll sure go thru a lot of money in the process. If I were rich rather than so handsome and intelligent I'd stop loading and just shoot factory ammo.  :o ;D :-[

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline ihookem

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2009, 04:06:24 PM »
What, Graybeard I thought you were loaded with money. I don't like it tht much neither execpt in the middle of winter when there is nothing to do.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2009, 04:07:52 PM »
Hand loading is not an option for me , its a MUST , in any given year I will burn through atleast 25,000 rounds of Center Fire ammo in over 30 different cartridges , with the price of factory ammo being what it is , I don't have a choice , shooting = hand loading .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline huntducks

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2009, 08:40:47 AM »
I'm retired and also on a fixed income I reload everything pistol rifle shotgun and even my steel waterfowl loads I cast my own bullets for pistol and a few rifle calibers and even drop some of my own lead shot, like GB after reloading for over 50 years now it's not near as fun but if I want to shoot I reload and over the years have aquired all the auto progressives reloaders and every friggen tool that cuts time and makes it faster.

Oh by the way I save big bucks over todays price of factory ammo as I have stock piled supply for years.

LOOK TO ANOTHER POWDER LIKE 4350 RL-19 4831 vs 4064.

Good luck and take you time.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2009, 10:41:07 AM »
Pretty soon, you'll have to add a room onto your house - for reloading and to store 20 years worth of ammo.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2009, 10:50:24 AM »
Most centerfire ammo can be reloaded for less than $10.00 a box.  That's .50 a shot or perhaps a little less.  .45-70 ammo cost $1.50 to $1.75 a shot.  Thats a fair savings.  Use Remington Core-Lokt bullets or cast lead.  They are as good as it gets anyway.  Some cartridges like 9mm aren't worth fooling with.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2009, 11:11:46 AM »
Like said above. You ll be able to shoot more. The key for myself was settling on descent accurracy. My hunting rifles are giving me 1.5 inch groups  with my reloads, which is plenty accurate for my hunting. Now I could spend alot of money getting under an inch. & I would enjoy doing it. "IF" I didnt have to work 60 hrs a week to feed & cloth 3 kids. & this is different for everyone. Some guys will spend more money & time to squeeze out that extra accurracy. I just cant afford the time or money.  Now for me the biggest bonus to reloading for me was  When my brother & my self were shooting our 223s. My reloads against his factory ammo. We were shooting at 200 yards. I shot a group just under an inch. Which is amazing shooting for me. Ill take lucky too. His group was right at 2 inches. Now both guns & ammo was plenty accurate for anything we,re gonna hunt. But that day we were shooting for a burger & a beer. So the money I spent on that load development was worth every penny I spent ;D ;D
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2009, 11:22:18 AM »
I go to the range with a 5 gallon pail FULL of ammo. I am an avid reloader with a progessive press. That would be expensive off the store shelf.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline Oldshooter

• GBO subscriber and supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2009, 11:37:01 AM »
Reloading is very cost effective for me right now, cause I cant find no primers so i cant reload a darned thing! I have a few I have begged borrowed and stole but they are so few I am scared to use em!
“Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”

"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery."

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2009, 11:41:07 AM »
Hey there Huntsducks,

The smart folk are those who, as you did, stocked up before the fact.

I know this twists some folks tails, but there are just some things we should all keep well stocked ahead on, food and components being two of those "things".

I guess I feel for any of the young/new reloaders who didn't have that oppertunity before the obamanation, but for the rest of the folk, they can spend all the time they wish cry'in about having nothing to shoot and have no one to blame but themselves.

When this thing eases a bit, and I hope it does, we should all spend some extra coin on components and count it money well spent, even IF THE PRICE GOES DOWN AFTER THE BUY!

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2009, 11:47:30 AM »
Hey there Oldshooter,

I didn't point my remarks at you, as you posted while was doing mine.

But we all need to remember, if it isn't another obamanation, it could be another clinton which was almost as bad.

If we make it through this one and are still allowed to own firearms and shoot same, there WILL be another bozo who will again foul up the works.

It is just a matter of when.

BE PREPAIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2009, 12:28:45 PM »
ok. here's an example.

i bought a 40 round pack of remington factory .22-250's. $32.

i can load that many for about $14 give or take.

so yes its cheaper.

but what will REALLY happen is, i will shoot the rifle twice as much, using the same budget for shooting lol

so yeah its cost effective but you're not going to be able to drop that $18 into your IRA.
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.