Author Topic: Is Reloading Cost Effective ?  (Read 3554 times)

Offline epanzella

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Is Reloading Cost Effective ?
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2009, 01:28:25 AM »
I own handguns and pistol caliber rifles for target practice and self defense.  I do not hunt..but...I think anyone who shoots but doesn't reload in the current political climate is going to lose out.  I found a little gun shop in a small desert town of about 2000 people near my home that seems to always have primers, powder, and components.  I stock up every chance I get because I firmly believe that one day we're gonna lose the ability to get the stuff we need to defend our homes and families because of the "progressive" inner city politicians who run this country. 
Is it cost effective?  I don't know...but I think it's a skill you'd better learn.
This is why I keep 2000 rounds of.22LR in my safe room. If faced with the prospect of never again being able to get ammo, I'd prefer 2000 22's to 200 30-06's. Team that with a rifle and pistol in 22lr and you're good for a long time.

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2009, 06:41:09 PM »
Sometimes I think that I shoot to reload. I enjoy getting on the reloading bench and cranking out a few rounds. Gets me away from the tv, which is usually some dumb sitcom, or the news, which raises my blood pressure. It's definitly cost effective, just more so on some calibers than others. gypsyman

Man, I hear that!! Sometimes just being at the reloading bench, among the tools and toys, lowers my blood pressure and helps me cope with the world around me. I've been known to go to the range and pop some caps so I'd have enough brass for some experiment that I wanted to try. Probably I see the effects of the lower cost more when my son comes to visit. He can go through several hundred rounds of '06  and 41mag in a short afternoon. At today's prices for factory ammo, we'd both have to have a second job! LOL!

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2009, 09:04:11 AM »
I believe that reloading has been very cost effective for me.  I started out loading shotgun shells when I was in elementary school.  At the time as soon as the school bus would get me back home I would grab the shotgun and head for the fields to shoot birds, in those days there was about three and half months of waterfowl hunting, with pheasant tossed in.  I reloaded at night to keep hunting.

In those days when I needed centerfire rifle ammunition I had to buy factory, but soon enough I had adequate brass to get a hundred rounds reloaded for the cost of two or three boxes of factory ammunition.  It was cost effective for me; otherwise I would have been restricted to shooting a few rounds every year.

1967 I bought a Lyman Spar-T Turret press and dies.   Actions I took following that purchase are paying off today, and will continue to pay in years to come.

There was a gun writer of some note that loaded for the 270 Winchester, and he mention surplus 4831 powder.  I started buying it in one pound cans from a dollar to two dollars a can.  Then my brother said he could get for $2.50 cents a jug (8-pounds) if I provided the jugs.  It was not long before I had two jugs stored away.  Last spring I used the last of those two jugs.  As time passed I continued to pick up a can of surplus 4831 at cheap prices. 

I was low on the pay scale so I was always on the lookout out for a deal.  Buying a thousand primers at a time for four dollars was a good deal.  So I picked up the habit of buying a thousand primers every now then.  I paid $4.95 for magnum rifle primers.  I choked but continued to buy primers when the price went up to ten dollars a thousand. 

I always kept an eye out for bullets on sale, and as I loaded for different cartridges I adjusted my buying habits. 

I have used other 150-grain bullets in the 270 Winchester, but one of the best buys I ever made was a couple of boxes of Norma Match Boattails for the .270 Win.  These bullets outperformed the 130-grain Bronze Point I had used for years.  After positive field results (dead deer) I bought a few boxes of primed Remington brass for hunting loads.  I would l load practice ammunition with brass that had been fired then use the fresh brass for hunting.  I still have some of those loads.

The market place also changed and I had a little more money to spend.  I started buying bulk brass, and bullets from mail order outlets.  And I would buy a box of bullets at local gunshops.  I am happy that years back I bought 140-grain Hornady .277 bullets.  Once I found that they shot good and were deadly in my Savage 110CL it became a go to bullet. 

Did the current crisis catch me short in some areas?  Maybe, or it might just be in my mind.  This spring I finished off an 8-pound keg of 4320 what I had been hauling around for years.  Eight pounds go a long way when you are loading 30-40 grains at a time in cases that demand less.  It has been my Go to powder in the 30-30 and 303 British.

Back in the days of lower prices I wish I would have bought a keg of IMR4064.  Fortunately a few years ago I bought a couple cans with the same lot number so when I finished off the can I was using, I was not at a loss.

Before the recent events I was already having regrets about not stocking up on certain powders because they had been discontinued.  Many years ago I was in shock when a gun shop owner told me that the surplus powder was gone, and a new H4831 was being manufactured in Scotland.  I paid him thirty six dollars for eight pounds of the new H4831.  Years ago I was blindsided when WW785 went out of production.  While I had taken deer using the combination of H4831 and the 140-grain Hornady I experimented with the bullet and WW785.  It is a great combination.

This summer I wanted to do some test loading of 130-grain Barnes TTSX bullets.  It cost me
Bullet                        .68
IMR4350 powder         .09
Primer       .0008+      .01

Case once fired          .00
                                   .78 Per round

On the low end a box of factory ammunition depending on the source would cost me $45 to $70 a box.  Or at a low end $2.25 a round. 

This spring I loaded one hundred old style 140-grain BT Silvertips what I had bought at discontinued price.  I opened a box of new brass what I had paid around twenty dollars a hundred for long ago.  Best estimate has me investing around $28.00 in quality ammunition.  Another good part of it is the funds were spent a long time ago.

Just before hunting season I was in a sporting goods section of Wal Mart.  A stressed out hunter was looking for .270 Winchester ammunition.   But the store had none, he left displaying an attitude.

The current shortage and climbing prices has slowed down my purchases.  I bought a jug of BLC(2) with the 30-30 and 303 British in mind.  That was the only choice on the shelve in that burning range.  I bought a box of 150-grain Hornady SP in .277, because they perform on deer, and shoot great in the three 270 Winchester rifles I load for.  I bought the box of fifty Barnes TTSX bullets.  After finding how accurate they were in my rifle I wish I had bought a second box.  The advertised price has jumped two dollars since I bought the first box.

Recently my brother called me and wanted to know if a certain powder was still available at a fantastic price.  Seems like two years ago I had called him and offered to order and have two eight pound jugs sent to my house, and I would front the money.  He turned it down, and I did not make the order.  He recently paid twice the price for eight pounds of powder, and it might have been a good deal in today’s market.

Normally when I pack for a hunting trip, I pack extra ammunition in case I have to re-sight my rifle.  When I was a kid I missed out big time because things were tight and there was not a lot extra.  I had taken one buck, and the last day of the season I had six rounds.  My rifle had iron sights, and my eyes were designed for a scope.  First thing in the morning I missed a buck twice on a steep downhill shot at a couple hundred yards are so.  Another mile down the ridge, I spotted four, 4x4 Western count bucks across a canyon.  This inexperienced hunter blew it.  They were in a tight group and I was afraid on hitting more than one buck with a shot.  They stayed around because they watched me do a little tap dance when I set down on a red ant hill.  I tried to shoot one in the neck.  I missed all four shots and I was out of ammunition.  A rather traumatic event in my life.

Nobody was rich in our little town and I think the young hunters with converted Springfield’s were better off.  At the time I had a number of friends hunting with military surplus ammunition with the tip slightly filed to expose the lead core.
Once I collected enough cases to have a hundred rounds loaded I did, that put me in the mode that I could practice on rock chucks, and other varmints.  I collected more brass from none reloader’s and had them loaded.  And then I made the step to loading my own.  Most hobbies cost money.  I enjoy fishing, and owning a couple boats cost money to license and maintain.  It cost more to tow and operate a boat on a lake then it does to set on the bank and fish.  Cost that I am willing to pay.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline necchi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2009, 09:57:11 AM »
Gimme a couple years,,I'll let ya know.
 As a beginner I just spent around 400 for all the gear I need to load for just 2 guns. ( some new-some used RCBS )
There are 3 issues that pushed me over the top.
1. I can't buy, 40grn V-max loaded with 25.3 grns of varget for "cover with a dime" moa off the shelf
2. I can't get the same load with 50-52 and 55grn bulets off the shelf either
3. This summer I spent 150 buying factory ammo trying to find moa for a 7-08. I got it close enough to harvest, but
    could have spent less than that on componants to load myself, for very likley better accuracy.

I found a re-loader guy at a gun show,,he gave me a mix of loads to try (223), Well I found one that was OK and called him, said I'd take 150 rounds @ 32.50 a box of 50,,he never delivered,,Ya know what? I owe him a thank you,, I took that money and bought a used Rockchucker instead! ;)

It's a total investment for the future and a pleasant pass time hobby, this equipment will last decades and will be passed on too family when I'm gone too hopefully use for the same porpose,,,accuracy and hobby.
 If ya teach yer kid's to hunt, ya won't be hunting fer yer kids!!

found elsewhere

Offline LunaticFringeInc

• Contributor
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2009, 10:26:19 AM »
If I didnt reload I would be able to only shoot a fraction of the ammo I burn up at the range and hunting every year.  This was doubly so when the ammo/componet shortage hit at full speed ahead.  But becuase I stocked up heavily in advance and keep a large amount of reloading componets on hand I was able to go do a shoot a little while others were in search of the holy grail just trying to find a couple of boxes of ammo.  I also have to reload for a couple of chamberings I own as they are wildcat rounds.

Like many others I find that while I save a good bit per a round I also find myself shooting a lot more!  The key to saving money at this hobby is scrounging for lead, once fired brass and buying other componets in bulk.  I have also narrowed the use of my powders down to just a few in bulk, this saves money too and works well enough for general shooting.  The lone exception is shotgun ammo.  If your shooting shot loads for up-land game or water fowl, its usually about the same in cost to buy commercial ammo.  Start shooting large amounts of 00-Buck or Slugs then the equation changes to one degree or another.

For big game hunting ammo or Long Range target shooting I do buy my componets such as Brass/Primers ect...and buy it in bulk.  I do also buy a wide variety of one pound containers of powders to find the just right load combination.  This can get a bit expensive and load development can be time consuming.  But I am usually rewarded with exceptionally accurate loads that perform unobtrusively.  To me this justifies the added expense and tedious time consuming attention to detail.

Reloading has also pushed me to using more effcient loads and chamberings in order to stretch my shooting dollar further.  I own a .300 Win Mag but rarely shoot it opting instead for my .308 Winchester which uses a fraction of the powder and performs well enough 95% of the time.  My 300 Whisper is even better most of the time for the task at hand.  Notice that all 3 of these use the same componet bullets...

Then there are things that you really cant put a cost on...your time.  Some enjoy it others find it more of a chore.  I happen to enjoy it and get a great sense of pleasure shooting a trophy game animal with one of my "home rolled" efforts and even more so when I shoot a really tight 10 shot group at 300 plus yards.  Its also something I especially enjoy during the winter time, which is when I do a majority of my reloading, when its crappy outside and there aint much else to do after hunting seasons over.

If you shoot a lot then reloading is almost always cost effective.  If your a "Harry Home Owner " type or only go through a box a year of hunting ammo then its probably cheaper off to just buy commerical loaded ammo instead.

Offline kevinsmith5

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2009, 05:13:53 PM »
I started with a Lee Classic Loader for my 45-70 because even low end trapdoor factory loAds were running me $30+. 100 410 gr bullets from Western Bullet, my 20 once fired Winchester cases, a bottle of H4895, and 100 CCI primers later I had saved $58 and still had powder and cases. I've gradually built up a supply of tools and powders, bullets, lots of primers (found an old store and cleaned em out).

And yess, I do shoot more because It costs way less, but the result is I know where that 30-30, 45-70, 44 mag bullet will be at any point on it's trajectory and can hit what I want out to ranges people who shoot less thnk those rounds are incapable of getting near. 
If he's carrying a singleshot, don't expect a warning shot!

Offline av-doctor

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2009, 06:46:52 PM »
some has said its not worth messing with certain calibers like 9mm,38 special,223,etc i don't see it that way those are the ones i taught my boy to load with we sit down and load 500 9mm on a single station press it gives us a chance to talk about other things that we normally wouldn't,and i love to see his eyes light up when he hits the gong with one of his own handloads. do i save money? not really but its hard to get a 13yr old to talk to dad anymore this is one of the few things we can do together without butting heads. by the way my plinking load for 9mm costs about .09,38's about .04,223's about .12 so yeah i save a little i shoot alot more but i found a way to spend time with my boy that keeps him away from some of the things other 13yr olds are doing in our town!

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2009, 05:15:39 AM »
some has said its not worth messing with certain calibers like 9mm,38 special,223,etc i don't see it that way those are the ones i taught my boy to load with we sit down and load 500 9mm on a single station press it gives us a chance to talk about other things that we normally wouldn't,and i love to see his eyes light up when he hits the gong with one of his own handloads. do i save money? not really but its hard to get a 13yr old to talk to dad anymore this is one of the few things we can do together without butting heads. by the way my plinking load for 9mm costs about .09,38's about .04,223's about .12 so yeah i save a little i shoot alot more but i found a way to spend time with my boy that keeps him away from some of the things other 13yr olds are doing in our town!

My Dad had the same philosophy.  We would load all week and shoot thousands in a weekend sometimes.  Taught us discipline.
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2009, 12:41:39 PM »

My Dad had the same philosophy.  We would load all week and shoot thousands in a weekend sometimes.  Taught us discipline.

THAT KIND OF TIME IS PRICELESS!!!!!

Regards,
Sweetwater
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #69 on: November 29, 2009, 08:23:35 AM »
This thread got me thinking about an ammunition problem I have.  It is a little out of the box for me because the problem is involves a rifle I have owned for just short of fifty years.  It is not a go-to rifle during hunting season.  But it is an option when the weather is wet, foggy, or the vegetation is so thick that fifty yards is a long shot.  A long time back I found a good load for it using 4320, and the 174-grain Hornady round nose.  The rifle is a British Jungle Carbine in 303 British.

The best surplus military ammunition I have ever found for it was manufacture in Canada.  It is good shooting and has reloadable cases.  The bullets are FMJ so I cannot use them for hunting.  I was at the Big Reno Gun Show a few years back and one of the vendor’s tables was stacked high with boxes of Belmont 303 remanufactured ammunition.  According to the sign the ammunition was an overrun from an R.C.M.P. contract.  It stated the cases were Canada military, and had been loaded with 150-grain Sierra bullets.  The big attraction was the cases; they were the same head stamp as the successful FMJ I had used.  I think I bought six boxes of the ammunition.

After a successful morning of firing reloads in a couple of .270 rifles at the range I pulled out the .303 British and touched off a couple off a couple of Belmont loads.  I did not hit the target.  I had another shooter try it and the story was the same.  That was the end of my shooting day.  The performance was so poor that I did not bother firing it across my Chrony what I had setup.  I was afraid of hitting the Chrony.   The fired cases appeared normal for the rifle.  The rifle and the ammunition have been setting a couple of years without any action. 

What others think of the Belmont ammunition:

http://members.nuvox.net/~on.melchar/303brit/303-bel.html

I am mapping out my reloading activities for the winter and I am going to take advantage of my reloading setup to salvage my investment.  What trigger this was researching potential loads for 8 pounds of Hodgdon BL-C (2) powder I purchased this past year.  I have not used BL-C (2) in the past because I had an ample supply of 4320.    First I reviewed loading data in a number of manuals that I have, and then I visited the Hodgdon website.  It became apparent that BL-C (2) might be an ideal powder for the British 303.

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

This has the potential of being an interesting project for me.  I will do a limited investigation into why this ammunition is not accurate.

1.    Weight each bullet for consistence and advertised weight. 
2.    Weight each powder charge looking for consistence.  Powder will be disposed of.
I am thinking that the issue is with the powder charge.  When I was firing the Belmont ammunition recoil seemed to be light for the rifle, compared to firing military surplus, American factory, and my own reloads.

My $39.00 rifle.

There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Offline Savage

« Reply #70 on: November 29, 2009, 09:01:57 AM »
Is that a 5rd magazine I see in the Lee?  LOL  Back in the 50s I picket out a couple of those carbines from the dozens of barrels full for sale at a local hardware store.  The mklll & mklV rifles were $15, the jungle carbines were $30. That was back before guns became evil. A friends dad was into reloading in those days. He coached me on bullet casting and reloading. I remember the bullet we cast was a 180 gr gas checked RN, and the powder used was IMR3031. The old Lees were decent shooters. Wish I still had them.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #71 on: November 29, 2009, 11:52:33 AM »
It is a five mag