Author Topic: New SAMCC barrel  (Read 43469 times)

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: New SAMCC barrel
« Reply #120 on: January 30, 2010, 10:24:35 AM »
Woodcraft and Harbor Freight stores sell sanding drums up to three inches in diameter. Walmart here sells a 3/4 inch sanding drum with extra sleeves for three bucks or so which should do the job.
Max

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #121 on: January 30, 2010, 11:15:49 AM »
DD,

They're usually sold in sets complete with sanding sleeves of varying grits for about $20.00 or less.
Should find them in Sears, Home Depot, Lowes or even a decent local hardware store. Do a Google search for "Drill press sanding drums"

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00925262000P?vName=Tools&cName=PowerToolAccessories&sName=Drill%20Sharpeners%20&%20Attachments&psid=FROOGLE01&sid=IDx20070921x00003a

Regards
       Joe

Lets see, Sears 110 miles south, Home Depot 108 miles south. Lowes 130 miles west. 

Gotta go south in a week our two for new glasses.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #122 on: January 30, 2010, 01:41:44 PM »
yep
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
Drum sander
« Reply #123 on: January 30, 2010, 02:25:03 PM »
DD I don't know if you noticed  the table on my wood shop  drill press , it has a built up wood table with a hole in it .
This allows the drum to be locked @ different depths into the table .
 Get lots more wear from a drum .
 And if you are handy .... You can move the quill up and down while sanding , sort of a manual coordination two handed feat oscillating drum sander.  
Farmer Style   ;D

DD you forgot the closest of all 3 , only 90 miles up the Del Bonita trail in a foriegn country . Only 80 miles for me .

And it has those cheap foreign dollars prices   ::)
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline Josco

« Reply #124 on: January 30, 2010, 03:08:03 PM »
Over a hundred miles to the nearest "big box store"!!!!!  :o
You live in heaven!
Us "city slickers" are spoiled only having to travel 15 minutes.

Offline Double D

« Reply #125 on: January 30, 2010, 03:14:51 PM »
Canada!!!! You got to be kidding!!!  I don't do Canada.  Those guys at the border, you know!!!  They are not nice people.  I trained them remember.  Okay so they are nice people, but I still trained them! Haven't been to Lethbridge in 10 years.

Up here, I can go clear across town , and back in 15 minutes.  If  go  the right way don't even have to see a traffic lights and not more than three stop signs.

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #126 on: January 31, 2010, 02:51:33 AM »
Southpaw, sounds like I came up with a table similar to yours. The table fits the drill press table slots snugly and takes a three inch drum. For smaller drums, I use a separate top that slips on the table.

Max

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #127 on: January 31, 2010, 03:25:16 AM »
Yes , simular to your design . I used an salvaged door from a 50's trailerhouse cabinet .
One trick I learned so many years back when teaching "shop " is to use Johnsons paste wax on the surface . Really makes a slick , non staining surface.
also do the tops of metal machines , Table saw , Joiner, bandsaw .  Particularily  the aluminin tops . They like to leave "grey" on the wood other wise .  Makes for easy dust offs , safe smooth material passage with  miter gage and fence work.
I use some Lacquer buffing compound left over from a project in the mid 50's . Puts a nice smooth polish in the metal surfaces . Then the application of the Johnson's floor wax . Keeps rust @ bay .

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #128 on: January 31, 2010, 03:33:32 AM »
I can walk to Home Depot in 5 min, and Sears/Lowes are about a 5-10 min drive, and right across the street from each other.  Those are some of the few types of big box stores that I'd really want to have close.  You never know when you may need a new doohicky so you can restore your hot water/functioning toilet/etc.  Being out in the middle of nowhere would be nice, but I do like the convenience of being close to some things.

Let us know how you like the rope you ordered.

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #129 on: January 31, 2010, 03:51:00 AM »
1Southpaw,
Instead of messing with paste wax I use wax paper on all my table tops.  Just wad up a piece about a foot long and rub it on the surface.  Works great! no mess. ::)
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Double D

« Reply #130 on: January 31, 2010, 07:52:31 AM »
We have hardware stores, lumber yards and home inprovement stores here.  We just don't have massive inventories of most stuff you don't need and never heard of.  If they don't have it, they can get it.

When I walk in a store here they great me and ask me what cannon project I am working on now. The one store hasa bunch of old black iron and square nut hardware in the back warehouse. The just tell me "you know where it is'  and let me browse to my hearts content. If I do need something special, they will order it in on the next truck.  I could get it cheaper in the big city, but thats a day wasted and a tank of gas to save 4 bucks.

IfI drive to one of these stroes, I might pass 5 or 6 cars on the way, I the people in 4 or 5 of the cars.  i wave at them all, they all wave back.  If I go the right way I don't even have to go through the stop light if I don't want.

The Recycling place has steel but they let me roam the scrap yard when ever I want.  Here's a neat cannon project I found. That material cost me $2.

Since we are in the oilpatch up here we have a lot pump repair places.  Southpaw told me about one of the shops that had steel scrap.  Here is 115 lbs worth. I went back and got the other 123 pounds.  Cost two 12 packs of Bud light.

Six different size cannon ammo in that picture.

I Have lived in the big cities; Houston, Montreal, Durban, Phoenix and Northern Virginia.  I have lived in smaller cites like Grants Pass, Medford, Redding and El Paso.  None of them hold a candle to small towns like Cut Bank. 

Everything I need is here,not always at my fingertips.  But is can be.

Southpaw, I get with you on the sander next week and we will get the belly arch in the SAMCC gun.  I have to go pick up the steel to make the capsquare stamp tomorrow.

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #131 on: January 31, 2010, 09:54:45 AM »
DD       why not choose the thicker rope...........chuck in washing machine............hand rub it a bit to remove some of the 'hairs'..................hang it up wet with heavy weight attached..........will shrink.....especially if you re-soak in hot water...............worth a try...........and the price is right. 
  seems all you yanks forgot about hand tools.........little skill..............some patience...........take more time to make jig or fixture than to use best tools ever created.............your hands.
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #132 on: January 31, 2010, 10:31:00 AM »
"your hands"  ??? ??? ???
Where do they plug in? ???
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
Where do they plug in?
« Reply #133 on: January 31, 2010, 12:39:10 PM »
A close look at many farmers hands will tell you they have been plugged in places they should not have been  :o
A fortune teller in the central San Joquin Valley of California  was puzzed as to where to start when she looked @ my hands .....
Finally she said .... you have worked very hard in your past life , but now you have changed your life .
(No kidding , soft white hands no callusous , lots of healed scars )
Talk about an easy mark .... "now for just a few more dollars I can read your future "
"No thanks " ,  "I like suprises "
So she gave me a free one , reading that is .  ::)
Darndest thing , don't know how she did it but she nailed it . short term , long term .
Always made me wonder....... ???

Offline Double D

« Reply #134 on: January 31, 2010, 02:18:07 PM »
There is a time and a place for hand work, how much depends on your goals and needs.

Offline Double D

« Reply #135 on: February 03, 2010, 02:50:04 PM »
I've never bought hemp rope, but I'm planning to order some as matchcord for a matchlock I've got, and ran across a recommendation somewhere for this site (also sells by the foot): http://www.turkeyfootllc.com/Hemproducts.html

They don't have quite as many sizes, but they're a little cheaper - haven't looked at the shipping yet.

I called Turkey Foot Saturday and ordered 6 foot of 6 mm Hemp and 6 footof 8mm hemp. It came today. 

This is some nice rope, nicer than the other hemp I bought and the other is nice.

So which looks better?

6mm

8mm

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #136 on: February 03, 2010, 03:46:38 PM »
They both look good, much better than the previous photos. Either should serve you fine.

Just my personal preference, but between the two, I think the 6mm looks better.

Offline Josco

« Reply #137 on: February 03, 2010, 04:05:27 PM »
Great looking hemp rope, much nicer than the previous you posted. The 6mm looks much better and truer to scale.

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
I like the 6 MM
« Reply #138 on: February 03, 2010, 06:34:57 PM »
seems more to scale ....

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #139 on: February 03, 2010, 07:21:33 PM »
Yep, 6mm is best fit!
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #140 on: February 03, 2010, 11:41:32 PM »
Glad to see it worked well!  Looks like we have a new resource to be added to the stickys!

Offline Double D

« Reply #141 on: February 13, 2010, 05:07:55 PM »
Spent the past  week in Kalispell and visited Lowes.  Picked up a drum sander for my drill  press. I also picked up the steel to make cap squares.  No not steel to make capsquares from, but steel make a stamp die to make capsqures, with.  I have this idea I am going to try, more later--with pictures.

This evening I put the belly arches in with the drum sander.  Then I made the axle braces.

Offline Double D

« Reply #142 on: February 15, 2010, 06:30:34 PM »
Went up to Southpaws this afternoon and while he did some welding for me, I machined the top of a piece railroad iron flat for him.

What he did was make the breech rope rings for me..

I found some 5/8" rings  and 1" 10-24 wire eyebolts at the hard ware store.  Ernie heated the eye bolt and slipped the ring in the eye and welded the eye shut.

Here's how it looks assembled.

I made the axle rims last night, 20 minute job took 2 hours.

While up at Ernies, I cut up the steel to make the trunnion die and elevator base.

Offline xo18thfa

« Reply #143 on: February 17, 2010, 02:29:16 PM »
For the brass barrel, how are the trunnions attached to the cannon tube?  Silver solder?

Thanks
Bob Sorenson
Las Vegas, Nevada

Hitting the target is a matter of training, hitting the impact area is a matter of safety.

Offline irishman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Contributor
    • Brooks-USA
« Reply #144 on: February 17, 2010, 02:55:37 PM »
For the brass barrel, how are the trunnions attached to the cannon tube?  Silver solder?

Thanks

Bob, We use "interference fit". The trunnions are larger than the pockets, requiring 1800 lb+.

Michael

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
Hand work ..
« Reply #145 on: February 20, 2010, 04:02:40 PM »
There is a time and a place for hand work, how much depends on your goals and needs.

That says it all !  ::)

Ah , uhm , well ....   ;D

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #146 on: February 21, 2010, 12:04:27 AM »
No it doesn't.......and stop picking on the poor wee humble Scotsman for trying to fly the the flag for us less technically capable.........fat walleted.......latest machine owning........make doers. I wouldn't like to think anybody was put off by thinking you ' Need ' all the machine stuff. ' A time and a place' for some folks is today.........and squeezed into a corner in a basement........should be promoting idea that you can 'do' without all singing and dancing facilities. Damn Technocrats ! 

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
I have an acquaintance
« Reply #147 on: February 21, 2010, 04:00:14 AM »
Who is said to live on what a Scott's man throws away . ;D

He has acquired a nice collection of machine tools from the dump and givaways . They all work fine . Took some hand tool work to make them operatable .  8)

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #148 on: February 21, 2010, 05:15:28 AM »
getting a bit philosophic there............was only having a pop at you for the Buddy Back up.    you would have a hard time living on what I throw away...........sheesh you ' almost ' had me feeling guilty there !  now ! where was I ?   OOOOOOOOO yes          well you should know better than agreeing with such a biased statement.

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
Sorry
« Reply #149 on: February 21, 2010, 08:42:16 PM »
No   "Buddy Back Up "    if it requires a "Hand Job "   :o