Author Topic: New SAMCC barrel  (Read 43468 times)

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
Re: New SAMCC barrel
« Reply #150 on: February 21, 2010, 10:41:15 PM »
ok  ok   " Uncle "  I've got no ammunition left after your last comment...........took all the fight outa me........must point out though...........you only nailed me with ' below the belt ' tactics.
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #151 on: February 22, 2010, 05:16:48 AM »
' below the belt ' tactics.

I shall henceforth strive to remain north of the belt way and follow the path of serious discussion relating only to the topic in hand . I mean , er , uhm , at hand .  ;)
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #152 on: February 26, 2010, 03:27:23 PM »
I have been working on the carriage this week. Got the elevator and mount built. I am headed up to Southpaw's tomorrow to to use power tools and clean things up.  I need to use his mill to square up parts for the stamp die for making cap squares for this gun.  Southpaw hasn't been available this week-he's been ill.  Tomorrow is the first chance I have had to go up there.

Since I don't have a golf ball mortar, I decided to start on one of those while waiting for Ernie recovery...about the time CW mentioned GB thunder mug, I found an old prototype GB mortar I made for the contest a couple of years ago- it was too short.  Perfect turn a scrap-failure into and useful noise making device.  I also got started on a regular GB. Mortar.

Then there is the Gahendra...

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #153 on: February 26, 2010, 07:11:08 PM »
Looks like the weather up there is fairly nice.  Range time.   ;D
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #154 on: February 28, 2010, 03:23:57 PM »
The Elevator is done and in.

I used the 10-24 carriage bolts again for mounting the base plate to the axle.  For an elevator I used another larger carriage bolt and rounded the head in the lathe. I drilled a hole through the flat for a elevator spoke.  I tried for 4 spokes but it didn't work as the holes didn't have enough depth for support.  I may try again soldering the spokes.

Now to get the capsquares made!!

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #155 on: February 28, 2010, 08:47:43 PM »
     Nice looking elevator, DD.  Put the other spokes on it.  Do you have any of that Brownells silver solder paste with the flux in it?  We have used it a lot on parts with minimal contact length.  It works well.  The heads on those vertical bolts look great too.

So what exactly is the main fault of the Nepalese Gahendra Martini-Henry rifle?  Is it is lack of standardization in the parts?  Improper fit of parts?  Or maybe the lack of hardening of the 'wear parts'.  What's the most serious fault?

Mike and Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #156 on: March 01, 2010, 02:28:42 AM »
DD,
On your elevator screw, I would drill all the way through and set your first spoke with part of it sticking out each side.  Solder it in place.  Then drill all the way through again (right through your first spoke) and set the second spoke sticking out both sides.  Solder it in place.  4 spokes, real strong! :o
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Double D

« Reply #157 on: March 01, 2010, 03:18:59 AM »
 I don't have the solder with paste, but I do have the low high strength stuff with paste separate.   Probably will do four spoke. Going to have to figure out some sort of holding fixture.

Zulu, that's my plan.  I just need a fixture to hold the first spokes, so when I solder the second pieces the first don't fall out when the solder softens.

After putting the barrel on and trying get my chubby fingers in to adjust, it definitely needs four.

So what exactly is the main fault of the Nepalese Gahendra Martini-Henry rifle?  Is it is lack of standardization in the parts?  Improper fit of parts?  Or maybe the lack of hardening of the 'wear parts'.  What's the most serious fault?

Mike and Tracy

Hardening and design of the Gahendra is fine.   In fact the design is a take of the Westley Richards 1873 also know as the Improce Martini.

Standardization is pretty hard to achieve working with chisels and files.  The biggest problem of the fit breech block.  Most Gunsmith don't really understand how the breech block is fit in hinged block actions.  Not a problem since there are seldom problems in this area and we normally work with finished actions that were manfactured by some one who understands the fit.   In this case the Nepalese were the makers and they no idea the that knuckle and knuckle seat were mating locking surfaces.  I don't think they knew how to machine the knuckle seat.  They gouged the seat completely out with had tools and left the load bearing on the hinge pin which bend under firing.

Other parts are hand fit.  A lot of guns of the era were hand fit.  The little Cadet Martini is a good example.  For example the back of the breech block  of the Cadet has to filed to relieve interference between the back of the breech block and subframe.  The English Gunsmith uniformly filed the back of the breech block.  If the Nepalese had fit the breech block, one guy would do it by filing the breech block, one guy would file the subframe and one would file both parts. There are no spare parts for these things, so that means a donor action is needed and hope the parts can be fit.

Then the barrels...some are mandrel welded and some are solid drilled.

Hey this is the cannon board and not the Martini board....the moderator doesn't tolerate topic drift...the heck with him, the Gahendra is pre 1898.

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #158 on: March 01, 2010, 03:38:47 AM »
DD
Hey this is the cannon board and not the Martini board....the moderator doesn't tolerate topic drift...the heck with him, the Gahendra is pre 1898.

I feel the need to make a citizens arrest and confiscate all evidence. ::)
Zulu

Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Double D

« Reply #159 on: March 01, 2010, 04:03:24 AM »
 ;D

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #160 on: March 01, 2010, 05:13:03 AM »
DD

I feel the need to make a citizens arrest and confiscate all evidence. ::)
Zulu

Citizens arrest is for Felonies.  This was just a  ;D misdemenor.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Double D

« Reply #161 on: March 01, 2010, 05:20:06 AM »

Felonies?  I prefer canines...  ;D

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #162 on: March 01, 2010, 06:33:51 AM »

Felonies?  I prefer canines...  ;D

He confusing you with Cat Wisperer he likes Felionies........

At least he doesn't think you own Polopinies......
  ::)
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #163 on: March 01, 2010, 06:47:07 AM »
Reads like "cabin fever" has set in across the country :-\.
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #164 on: March 01, 2010, 09:07:20 AM »
Reads like "cabin fever" has set in across the country :-\.

Are you amazed or just jealous?   :D
Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #165 on: March 01, 2010, 12:13:38 PM »
Last week we totaled 52" and I can't get into my shop to work on my current cannon project .....besides, I  ran out of LP for the heater. The clown never showed when he was supposed to bring a tank. 

Cabin fever lasts 6 months here; so who could be jealous :-\ 

Nothing is stirring; even the coyotes are quiet and the Black bear seems to have given up marauding and the mountain lion that creeps around, hasn't been seen either.  It has become a regular "Peaceable Kingdom".

My 80 lb Pit has taken to sleeping all day and we don't have TV but I'm never bored. 

It's a dogs life! I love it.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #166 on: March 01, 2010, 01:15:36 PM »
Ahhhh, I understand.

I can get into my shop, but it's right at 32F there.  45 I can stand for an hour or so, but not 32.

Cat Whisperer
U.S.Army Retired

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #167 on: March 01, 2010, 01:23:27 PM »
I understand too.  Today the temperature plummeted to 55 degrees and I had to put on my heavy shorts. :P
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #168 on: March 01, 2010, 01:32:23 PM »
Summer was a nice day here last year and it went up to 55 too. :(

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #169 on: March 01, 2010, 02:12:09 PM »
It only rains here in southern California (unless you live above 3500' or so) but I had to take my jacket off yesterday while I was cleaning the rain gutters.  It must have been 75° or so.   ;D

Colder in the shop.

By the way, it should stop raining now that I have cleaned the gutters.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #170 on: March 01, 2010, 02:43:35 PM »
i'm glad to learn i'm not the only one this winter has got to ...... i've got 4 dogs .....god what a mess ....the backyard hasnt been dry in months ...

the snow finally quit two days ago , it had to go north to reload , but is coming back soon . 55 tomorrow if you believe the rumor and it will only be 55 for about 18 mins flat unless it cloudy .....but thats it ......back to cold ....

A good day is when the dogs hole up while i'm home babysitting/ working on wax ......we all just sort of hibernate ......

I'm not sure i'd say the cold clamy snowy homebound days is cabin fever proper as i dont actualy live in a cabin , but i can tell you when The peoples Court comes on , Judge Maraliyn is great .

Judge Judy should run for president and K mart sucks ..... ;D

gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #171 on: March 01, 2010, 02:57:20 PM »
I rode the Harley to work this morning, it was 33°. But I only live about three miles from work, so by the time I'm totally frozen, I'm there.  ;D

Made it up to a nice sunny 68° this afternoon, but it won't last.

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #172 on: March 01, 2010, 04:07:17 PM »
Youse guys are making me feel bad that I didn't move to Yugoslavia in '67.

nb: I wrote "youse" because I've been seeing alot of "y'all" here lately ::) Don't get me wrong :D I think it's rat-nice :P

Offline Double D

« Reply #173 on: March 01, 2010, 05:23:50 PM »
Man you guys got it bad!!

I did a do over today!!!

Now this is a lot better!!!

Offline Soot

• Contributor
« Reply #174 on: March 02, 2010, 01:04:56 AM »
How are you finishing the steel parts?
I've been using Brownell's Oxpho-Blue lately with some good results. East to use and much nicer than paint.

Offline Double D

« Reply #175 on: March 02, 2010, 02:23:41 AM »
How are you finishing the steel parts?
I've been using Brownell's Oxpho-Blue lately with some good results. East to use and much nicer than paint.

Never seen a artillery piece that was blued.   British Tars did not have Oxpho-blue. This gun is a loose representation of a British Gun somewhat like that found on the HMS Victory---I know should be an iron gun.

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #176 on: March 02, 2010, 05:59:29 AM »
if they had it , would probably have been drinking it.
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline Soot

• Contributor
« Reply #177 on: March 02, 2010, 06:16:42 AM »
There is a company in Colorado that sells blued artillery pieces, I've heard they do nice work.
Here is their site: Link.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #178 on: March 02, 2010, 07:06:41 AM »
Soot,
The photo shows that you achieved good results with this stuff, but I tried some of this Brownells' Oxpho-Blue a couple times, and I had terrible results. I used it on 4140 highly polished steel and I got a wierd light bluish purple tint that looked really bad. I've still got the almost full 8oz. bottle sitting in a cabinet, because I tried it on another piece of steel that I think was 1018 and had the same poor outcome. I followed the directions on the bottle to a tee; did you use some other type of procedure to prepare the metal, or apply the solution?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Soot

• Contributor
« Reply #179 on: March 02, 2010, 07:41:03 AM »
I modified the directions for the supplies that I already have. First degrease the parts with hot water and strong soap and repeat then dry with compressed air. Next I wipe down with acetone ( I don't have any alcohol), then apply the bluing with a paper towel. Wipe on at first then blot it all over. After the first wipe and blot I polish with 00 fine steel wool in circular motions to blend in the blotted results. I usually repeat several time just blotting it on with a paper towel and buffing with steel wool. Different types of metal yield different results. I've also used muratic acid after the first degreasing, it didn't seem to help but it didn't hurt either. I did a piece of 4140 today and it was tricky just getting it to a gray color, lots of work with the steel wool to get the color even.