Author Topic: New SAMCC barrel  (Read 43490 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: New SAMCC barrel
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2009, 08:20:24 AM »
When I first sketched out the dimensions for this gun, George went to a great deal of trouble to decipher my scribbles to make plans in a more legible format.

Here again are the links to Georges drawings.  George, thank you again for all the hard work you went to, too make these drawings.

Plan collection:

SAMCC barrel:  http://mysite.verizon.net/gfg/images/SAMCCGun.GIF  (this barrel is muzzle heavy with the trunnions in the position shown in the drawing; they probably should be moved toward the muzzle a little; test the balance after turning and drilling and before locating them.)

SAMCC barrel w/32 pounder muzzle:  http://mysite.verizon.net/gfg/images/SAMCCGun32Muzz.gif

Trucks (wheels) and front axle:  http://mysite.verizon.net/gfg/images/SAMCCTruck.gif

Cheek:  http://mysite.verizon.net/gfg/images/SAMCCTruckCheek.gif

Elevation screw and transom:  http://mysite.verizon.net/gfg/images/SAMCCParts.gif

Rear axle:  http://mysite.verizon.net/gfg/images/SAMCCTruckRearAxle.gif

Cap square and front axle brace:  http://mysite.verizon.net/gfg/images/SAMCCTruckBrace.gif

It has been brought to my attention that there are no dimensions given for the trunnions on the barrel drawings so I went back to the .dwg files and measured and here they are:

Trunnion diameter = .625"

Distance between ends of trunnions = 3.235"

Another discrepancy has been found in that the groove in the cheeks for the trunnion is shown too small.  I will leave that to the builder to correct now that it has been pointed out.

I still have all the .dwg files for these drawings so if you would prefer to have the "real" drawings instead of the gifs I have posted for the forum, send me a PM with your email address and I will forward them.

Offline Josco

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #61 on: December 23, 2009, 12:03:01 PM »
DD,
Congrats on the new lathe and thanks for sharing your carriage build with us.
When I made the wheels for my current build, a Naval 24 pounder, I faced off a short length of hardwood dowel in the lathe then glued my wheel blank to the dowel. I could then face, turn the O.D, center, rough drill and bore the I.D. in one chucking insuring squareness and concentricity, then cutoff to final length. I made brass bushing for my wheels and after epoxying in place I faced a few thousands off the front for a clean finish. Carriage and wheels are made from Jatoba, very hard and machines well. Going to make brass axles with a c'bore for a Jatoba
insert. The machining on the carriage was done on my small mill.

Joe

Offline Double D

« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2009, 01:11:44 PM »
Nice looking work Josco!!

The more of this sort of stuff we post, the more we encourge others to try.

My skills are pretty limited, but I am willing to share what little I do know.

We all can use another idea how to do something.

Why don't you open up another thread and tell us about the cannon you are building and ehat you have done so far.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2009, 01:22:46 PM »
The wheels I made for my 24 pounder carriage were laminated in two layers to lessen the probability of splitting.  I also milled out the axles for a piece of 1" steel tubing so I would eliminate the possibility of the wood axles breaking.  I plugged the ends of the tubing with wood plugs of the same type of wood and epoxied them in place.  You have to do them one end at a time because the epoxy will trap air in the tube and make the second one want to slide back out (I suppose you could drill a tiny hole in the tube somewhere invisible to let the air out.)

The barrel has been painted black and the wheel pins made and installed since this picture was taken.  And it was fired at the Montana Cannon Shoot.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Josco

« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2009, 01:53:28 PM »
DD,

I'll start a new post after Christmas with my progress so far on my current build.
I always had a fascination for old cannons and finding this site was pure joy.

George,
I followed your build of the 1/5 scale Naval 24 Pounder and she is a beauty.

Regards
          Joe

Offline Double D

« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2010, 10:44:53 AM »
Been working on the carriage this morning drilling holes for the cap square and axle mounting screws.

I started cutting the notches in the axles for the cheeks. The cuts looked to me to be the wrong way to go.  To much chance of the wood chipping way. 

Sure as shooting as I was chiselling away a piece chipped off. 

Got to thinking about and went looking through the original  pictures of the SAMCC carriage and the front axle was also chipped.   

I Looked at the drawing of several other naval carriages and they all show the cheeks notched not the axle.

If you are building this carriage, I recommend you notch the cheeks not the axles.  I am going to toss this axle and build a new one and notch the cheeks.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2010, 11:09:29 AM »
Maybe you should cut the notch with a saw instead of a chisel.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2010, 12:12:30 PM »
I do it with my table saw.  Multiple passes.  Works great!
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Double D

« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2010, 12:35:52 PM »
Saw still leaves a thin hinged piece to break off and is contrary to every other Naval carriage I have looked at today.  The cheek pieces will be notched with the table saw.

Offline Josco

« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2010, 10:47:51 AM »
DD,

Making a saw cut close to the edge is tough, especially in a coarser grain wood like Oak. I've had good luck with Zona Razor Saws for the initial cut near the edges. I then mill out the remaining material with an endmill on my small miller and just kiss the saw cut surfaces to clean up.

http://www.zonatool.net/razor-saws.html

Joe

Offline Double D

« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2010, 01:20:13 PM »
Thanks for the  saw idea, that might be worth addy to the link list.

This particular cut is a bad design feature.  The woodwas broke out on the original and is very likely to break out on any carriage made in this manner.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2010, 01:28:30 PM »
The whole axle design is odd.  It would be better to have a sloped part that gradually thickens the axle from round section to rectangular so there aren't stress concentrations at each section change.  On the other hand, a steel axle would eliminate all those concerns.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2010, 03:58:17 AM »
George it would seem stronger to taper them, and a steel through axle woulld be even better.  While researching this type carriage in the past and over the past couple of days, every thing I found showed the axle constructed in the manner. 

I also did not find another carriage with notched ales.  The all had notched cheeks.

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2010, 06:49:52 AM »
Im not sure but I believe I have seen somewhere that they had both the cheeks and axles notched the same way as on field carriages on this more modern naval carriages
on the earlier naval carriages they had the bottom board notched
see attached drawings
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Josco

« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2010, 07:54:34 AM »
I would definitely notch the carriage cheeks.  When I did mine I milled the axle beams about a 1/16" deep leaving about 3/32" full height at the ends to lock into the carriage cheeks.

Joe

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2010, 07:50:51 PM »
Josco, would that wood be Purpleheart?
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2010, 08:44:02 PM »
      We posted this wood I.D. site almost two years ago.  I don't think it quite made it to the stickies.  It is, by anyone's standard, THE BEST wood identification site on the internet.  Just look up the wood that Josco said he used, Jatoba, and you will find more than 90 excellent photos on this one, rather obscure, but beautiful, wood species.  Nice work guys, can't wait to see more in-process pics.

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/

FYI,

Mike and Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2010, 09:25:11 PM »
I must agree ,that is some site ! Its in my favs now . 8)
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Josco

« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2010, 03:00:43 AM »
It's Jatoba, very hard, heavy and machines beautifully. A friend gave me a slab awhile back and I had it identified by a few local cabinet shops as Jatoba.
I resawed it on my bandsaw and had a devil of a time trying to plane it without tearout as it has some wild grain. I succeded by wetting it first then taking light cuts at an angle through my planer. I'll start a thread of my current build in a day or two.

Regards
  Joe

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2010, 09:42:55 AM »
Boomlover, this is purple heartwood.

It's what I used for my golf ball mortar base a few years ago.
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #80 on: January 06, 2010, 07:14:03 PM »
Thanks, Jeeper1, I missed the name when he mentioned it at the top of the page, sorry! Going to try to build a carriage out of Purpleheart for the .30 Hex from the Irishman, which should find it's way onto a "Noon Cannon" eventually!
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Double D

« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2010, 03:57:57 PM »
The temperature has been below zero lately and the heater in the garage can't deal with temperatures that cold.  As soon as it gets it back above zero, I'll get back to this project.

Offline Double D

« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2010, 04:54:22 PM »
Spent the afternoon building a new axle and notching the cheeks for the axles.

I used the depth of the notch in the axles to determine the depth of notch in the cheek. Where notch in the axle was cut to fit the cheek.  I cut the notch in the cheek to fit the axle, putting the notch in the same location .

After I got the notches in I finished the hole drilling. and then pinned everything together.

Next I need to build the hardware. 

Offline Double D

« Reply #83 on: January 25, 2010, 05:18:16 PM »
Worked some more on the gun carriage today.  I was going to forge the cap sqaure key post and the cap square hinge post.  Right now I just don't have the equipment. Leasing welding tanks got shelved to buy a new furnace for the house.

Last night I pinned the carriage together with nails and some carriage bolts I had laying around.

The SAMCC gun was bolted together with small brass rods and nuts. The carriage bolts I had are 10-24 the smallest that I have seen.   The heads of the these bolts are larger in diameter than I like and not quite the right shape. I Put the bolts in the3 jaw chuck on my lathe and reshaped the head.  Turned the heads down and scrubbed the markings off with my long angle lathe file.

Looks better.

The two bolts  of the tansom are so close together that the nuts interfere with each  both are put on the same side. , So I put them head to tails. Bolt head of one and nut of another on one side, same thing on the other.  I made the heads smaller for the transom cross screws than the other bolts .  I also counter sunk the holes for the transom bolt heads to give clearance for the nuts.

I need to find some 10-24 square nuts. Anybody got any they might part with.

Next caps squares and elevator.  Then final fit, finish and paint.  

Offline Double D

« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2010, 05:21:56 PM »
I just noticed I haven't cut the belly arch.  I also need axle hubs.

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2010, 05:54:55 PM »
You may be able to find square nuts at a Lowes.  Now I know there is no Lowes in Cut Bank, so maybe I can find them at Lowes.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2010, 06:24:05 PM »
Mine was in the mail today !!!!! 
My computer with the mail address's is on the blink .

But thank You Brooks for the beautiful #5 and the base carriage .
This small lap top is the pits to type on .
Also all my pictures are in the old computer  but backed up on a external hard drive .

Now to take the time to transfer links , sharing  and what ever it takes to get other desk top on track with the old one .
The newer backup desk top has different photo programs , I'm an old dog and am not going to learn new tricks so to speak , I want my old photo edit software , picture files , etc.

A bit brain dead @ times . Wondering if Dementia is not settling in . :<(
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline Double D

« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2010, 07:01:20 PM »
Demented is not the same as dementia.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2010, 07:29:04 PM »
Wondering if Dementia is not settling in . :<(

Nah, it's called CRS.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Double D

« Reply #89 on: January 26, 2010, 02:50:43 AM »
George,

Southpaw and I are headed to the big city today, he's driving.  We'll look around for square nuts.