Author Topic: Opinion of Lee Bullet Mold  (Read 10973 times)

Offline Darrell Davis

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Opinion of Lee Bullet Mold
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2009, 07:31:21 AM »
TeamNelson

Ahhhhhhhhhh, got ya.

My son manages a store for a large tire retailer and tells me the supply of WW is going to dry up in Califunnyia starting officialy the first of the year.

Better get all the stick on wts. you can ASAP, as the infection which may start in Califunnyia seems to sooner or later infect us all.

Shame!!!!

As per the Chili, do I need to be aware of lead in your product or HOT!!???????

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2009, 07:36:19 AM »
According to my kids, my chili is so hot the lead flakes stay in liquid form going in and coming out!  ;D

On a serious note, I wished I had another cast iron pot like the one I use for lead. Like an idiot I got rid of some cast iron awhile back and now can't find it locally. We went full circle back through the Emeril aluminum, non-stick wonder pans and wind up missing a plain old fashioned cast iron skillet.
held fast

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2009, 05:45:40 PM »
Are you from TEXAS???????????????

I've heard of some chili cook offs down there that would curl my hair, that is if I had any left!

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline docmagnum357

• Avid Poster
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2009, 12:47:46 PM »
I have had good luk with a few Lee molds, and not so good luck weith a few of them.  Llyod is right, as usual, about crappy bullet designs.  their current 240 grain gas check 430 is deadly accurate in my 629, but the metplat is tiny, and I hate gas checks.  Their 310 grain 430 is greeat in all my 44 mags.  metplat is huge, bearing surface is long, an excellent bulet.  Will smack the poop out of deer, I know for sure.  I have an old(discontinued?) 44 wadcutter mold that is excellent.  The rest of the Lee molds i have are of very little use to me.  The 200 grain tumble lube semi wadcutter is O.K.  It doesn't lead, and is fairly reliable as far a s feed ing, but accuracy is'nt much good.

Does any one ghave a suggestion for an accurate 230-250 grain flat point for the 45 acp?  Pm me. 

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2009, 05:10:57 PM »
doc, if you get a pm on that could you post it somewheres?

I made a batch of 240gr tl for .44 over the weekend. Just need some large pistol primers now.
held fast

Offline Hank08

• Trade Count: (35)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2009, 06:14:19 PM »
Kinardsj, in answer to your question, alox is as good as it gets for lube and Lee is as bad as it gets for moulds.
H08

Offline 454Puma

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2009, 09:50:28 AM »
All but one of my molds are Lee! And I've never had one go bad! Many thousands of bullets produced as I shoot almost only cast bullets! I have that 158 gr SWC mold excellant mold and all my 357 Mags love it! ;D
One shot , One Kill

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2009, 06:23:58 AM »
I have Lee molds and Lyman molds abd RCBS molds. Any of them can be ruined if used improperly. Just like any tool, Lee products will preform their intended job, if used correctly, for a looooong time. My Lee molds are 8 yrs, 6 yrs. and 2 yrs old. Never "Leemented" any, just used them as the instructions say. They all turn out good boolits if treated right.

Offline budman46

« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2010, 05:53:36 AM »
years ago i had problems galling the top of aluminum molds. i tried bullplate sprue plate lube http://bullshop.gunloads.com/prices.html...problem solved. the stuff is amazing; one bottle is probably a lifetime supply. it helps my iron molds as well.

budman
budman

ignorance is fixable...

Offline qajaq59

• A Real Regular
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2010, 02:23:12 AM »
All my other molds are Lyman's. But I as curious about Lee so I ordered a double for 30 cal. I took it out of the box, soaked it overnight in denatured alchohol, dried it, smoked it and started casting. I didn't do any Leementing or anything special. After about 6 casts the bullets were fine. Maybe I was lucky? But I'll soon find out because another Lee mold should be delivered today for my muzzle loader.

Offline Darrell Davis

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2010, 05:33:13 AM »
Morn'in gajaq59,

It is not so much the gauling some posts speak of, as the fact that the steel to aluminum of the alignment pins wears very rapidly.

On the Lee 6 cavity molds the pins are as they should be, steel to steel which allows for greatly increased mold life.

Are the Lee 6 cavity molds as good many of the other molds available? No, but they are a far site better then their single and double cavity molds.

The best mold I have, and have ever used is a LBT.  I wish all my molds were as good as Veral made this one.

There is something positive to be said about the custom molds from a good maker.

Keep em coming!

CDOC
300 Winmag

Offline gypsyman

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2010, 06:14:11 PM »
Only aluminum molds I own are either LBT, or NEI.(When Walt made them, new ones might be alright, haven't bought one) Only Lee mold I had, just didn't seem to make a good bullet. If I want a multiple cavity mold any more, I'll order a Saeco from Redding. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline leadman

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2010, 06:24:28 PM »
I have many Lee molds. Go to the cast boolits web site and get some Bull Plate lube to lube your mold with. I set the open mold on a piece of wood moulding on my casting table then close the mold. This will lessen the wear on the alignment pins.

If you get a mold that does not want to drop the bullets there is a procedure known as "Lementing" on cast boolits that takes care of the problems.

I know one should not have to "fix" a new product, but when you consider the cost of these molds it is cost effective in my opinion to do a little work to make them work.

I have some of my Lee molds that are at least 15 years old and have cast thousands of bullets.

I have used wheel weight to cast round balls and as long as they are small enough in diameter they load alright. Hornady made a round ball called Hard Ball, but haven't seen any in years.

Offline mpiety

« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2010, 11:43:55 AM »
I agree with Leadman.
I have cast thousands of bullets with Lee molds. Aligning the halves before squeezing them shut makes all the difference in the world.
hth,

Offline qajaq59

• A Real Regular
« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2010, 01:26:52 PM »
I did get the .50 cal double mold from Lee. (one ball and one R E A L conical) Again I soaked it overnight in the denatured alcohol, smoked it and cast. No problems, so I guess I can't growl any.

Offline steg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2010, 09:40:00 PM »
when I bought my ruger 357mag, the first mould that I bought was a Lee 150Gr RN single cavity, and I was casting for my Brother also, still have it and it casts one of the most accurate of all my other molds, and believe me it was used heavily, it's just that a single cavity is a pain to use, I have some Armory moulds, that's what the guy that sold em to me called em, one is a ten cavity, talk about production......................steg

Offline jlchucker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2010, 03:51:57 AM »
I've got a few Lee molds, and RCBS and Lyman as well.  My Lee's work OK for what I use them for--mostly bullets that I don't shoot in a lot of volume--like 44 cap n ball, or 45-70 plain base flatpoints.  Of the molds that I use mostly, (and it's mostly rifle) I prefer Lyman or RCBS.  I've got more confidence in molds made of ruggeder material than aluminum for volume use.

Offline lee1954

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2010, 04:44:44 AM »
If you drive a Caddy  -- a Chevy isn't to nice.. If.Lee made a top notch mold for $25----  Lyman - RCBS- Saco -LBT.  and others would all go broke in their mold department !!  We would not have all the choice in good molds from many shops ... But if all molds were $75 to $170 each,,, I wouldn't have too many --only one per caliber....
     The big thing -- In my humble opinion is a little high temp, lube on the lineup points and don't let any get into the casting surface ,,,,
I like high end mold -- I need a .257 that Lee doesn't offer ..
     I thing Lee steped up  there line by putting the 6 holers on the market -- I think for a very fair price  ----and you can make a lot of cast bullets in a short time.    
    I wouldn't pay $90 for a SKS mold   but for $20 it's fun shooting....  On the other hand my 26 year old   C358-158-SWC has cast over 5000 bullets,,the best is gone--- and higher $ mold would just be getting broke in ...

I'm glad Lee gives me a low cost choice,          

If you Say other molds are much nicer to cast with,   I will agree.

Hope to afford a few better molds  ,, And to get in on some group buy molds

I'm sure not a great caster but I have fun trying  --realy like the cheap shooting

Dan  Lee

Offline qajaq59

• A Real Regular
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2010, 08:05:35 AM »
Deleted

Offline skarke

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2010, 04:20:15 PM »
That mold release stuff is great for making ingots, down right horrible for making bullets.  I've made thousands and thousands of 228 452 bullets, and 158 358 bullets out of the six bullet versions.  Key points:

1.  High temp grease the swivel, locking screw, etc (any rotating surface)
2.  Keep them CLEAN!  Gunscrubber and a clean nylon toothbrush works great.
3.  I don't smoke them, and for me, they work better that way.  Clean, clean, and cleaner
4.  Flux often.
5.  Watch the temp.  They can make a bucket full of bullets in a hurry, but they'll get frosty if you try to go too fast.

If cared for, they'll last indefinitely, certainly long enough to pay for themselves many times over, and aluminum doesn't rust.

Generally, the 6 hole molds are pretty nice.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free.  Ronaldus Maximus

Offline saddlebum

• "I ain't never been killed in my life."
« Reply #50 on: April 15, 2010, 05:44:54 PM »
I have never tried Lee molds just because I don't care for their bullet designs. I have RCBS and Lyman but the best ones I have are LBT. Bullets just drop out of LBT molds. I stopped using Alox after the first time I tried it 25yrs ago. It smokes and stinks too much for me, too messy. I have tried others and have settled on LBT Blue or Blue Soft. It kind of conditions your bore to the point where Veral advises not to clean it. No leading, no smell, no smoke no mess.     Ask Veral Smith a question;   http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/board,114.0.html    For LBT catalog and info;   http://www.lbtmoulds.com/orderform.shtml
" FIREARMS STAND NEXT IN IMPORTANCE TO THE CONSTITUTION ITSELF. THEY ARE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'S LIBERTY TEETH AND KEYSTONE UNDER INDEPENDENCE."       George Washington

“OUR CONSTITUTION WAS MADE ONLY FOR A MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. IT IS WHOLLY INADEQUATE TO THE GOVERNMENT OF ANY OTHER."           John Adams

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2010, 03:43:08 AM »
For 1/4 the price of Lyman & RCBS they do a good job.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #52 on: April 16, 2010, 06:35:40 AM »
For 1/4 the price of Lyman & RCBS they do a good job.

Yep.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline StrawHat

• A Real Regular
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2010, 01:40:07 AM »
...Most folk say that WW are overly hard for use in a muzzle loader, while everything I hear indicated the use of pure/soft lead for muzzle loader use...

That is one of the many myths associated with muzzleloading that has a grain of truth in it.  Pure lead is a good choice for round balls but harder lead can also be made to work in rifles.  SW Baker and others frequently hardened their bullets for hunting.

As for molds, I have many makers, Lee, SAECO, Lyman, RCBS and some customs.  All get the cavities polished before the first casting.  I close my molds with the base on the bench top to help align the halves.  The sprue is cut by swinging the sprue plate with a gloved hand.  I try not to hammer on my molds.

I am not a target shooter anymore so my reqirements have relaxed a bit.  I still weigh and sort castings and have noticed no preference to any one company.  They all cast good bullets if you find the design you like.
"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result"  Winston Churchill

"A law without a punishment is merely advice."  anonymous

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2010, 03:24:00 AM »
Bill i guess you have to keep it in mind that some guys buy a mold and if it makes 2000 bullets in its lifetime thats alot to them. Me thats a day of casting. Some good advice in previous posts was the use of bull plate lube. It will easily double the life of a lee 6 cav mold. I actually even use it on steel molds now. Im not bashing lee mold completely. I think there 6 cavity molds are probably the best bang for the buck on the market. Problem like was stated earlier in a post is there bullet designs suck. Most of my 6 cav lees are group buy molds that weve designed are own bullet and lee has cut them. If lee was actually ran by a guy that casted bullet hed be listing those designs in his catalog instead of the duds he sells. I may catch some flak for this but In not a big fan of aluminum molds period. An nei or lbt mold is no more durable then a lee 6 cavity mold. Only advantage in my book is better bullet designs. But if i had to chose between a 6 cav lee and a lbt in the same bullet design id take the lee as for less then half the price i can have a mold that kicks out 3 times more bullets. ill guarantee you that a lbt mold open and shut 3 times more then a lee wont outlast it.
The two cavity Lee molds I have used in the past were short life junk.

I pretty much agree. Most I've tried are really piss poor excuses for a bullet mould. The bullets don't seem to want to drop from them without some modification to make them do so and the bullets just don't seem as high quality as from Lyman or RCBS moulds which most of mine are one or the other.

They'd do in a pinch but if it doesn't come in a 6 cavity mould I mostly don't consider Lee moulds at all.
blue lives matter

Offline lee1954

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2010, 04:39:35 AM »
Well kind sir, I have to agree Lee hasn't changed or upgraded to often..

The tumble lube line was the last upgrade that was 20 years back  --I had a printed list of there 1970's line up and -- like Lyman  and the rest not much change - in almost 50 years

--infact Lyman has dropped over 1/2 there lineup

http://www.three-peaks.net/bullet_molds.htm

The Ranch Dog  - LBT  and  others have rethought  casting leaving Lee behind...

I'm a person that only cast 2000 a year at the most and 200 some years  -- So not a big caster ......

The newer design  -on the group buys are something I need to try out..

I have two costom lee mold, 22 bator and a 166gr ,357  SWC  -- And A 158gr SWC Hollow point mold they since dropped--but my favorite list

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2010, 04:50:21 AM »
In a muzzleloader (rifle) the harder the lead ball is the harder it will be to load.  In a smoothbore it doesn't matter.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline goofyoldfart

• grumpy old fart as well as goofy old fart.
  • Contributor
« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2010, 07:54:50 PM »
Hope I'm not Necro'ing a thread---BUT I have several Lee's and as many more Ideal's, Ideal-Lyman's and Lyman's. Bottom line---take care of your molds, follow some of the common sense suggestions (IE: laying them flat on wood when closing, use lube on sprue plate, don't beat on them,etc.) and they ALL will last longer. Almost all of my Lee's were bought in the 70's when they were lathe boring them. It seems that at some time in the last 15 or so years they went over to CNC production of the molds and the accuracy of tolerance went down (by their own admission). The Lee molds that I have, have produced well over 20,000 rounds in pistol and at least that many in a few rifles. I have been casting since 1970 and have pretty much good luck with them. once in 1978 I received a bad Lee in 44 (don't remember the Wt) and I called them and they replaced it. I have found several OLD lee molds in garage sales and they work well also.  That said, I REALLY want to try a NOE mold, a LBT mold and a Mihec (in brass)   ;D. At this time I have  approximately 38 molds and am sorta happy with them all. ;) :D ;D

Offline budman46

« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2011, 05:43:11 AM »
i used to consider lee moulds as throwaways too, until i discovered  bullshop's sprue plate lube (bullshop@wildak.net)

used as directed, my moulds are show no wear and my casting speed has doubled....no longer are lee calun=minum moulds "disposable". good product, really good people.
budman

ignorance is fixable...

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2011, 08:10:02 AM »
I had problems with some of my Lee and Lyman molds and was about to give up on them.  Someone suggested that I try polishing the cavity with a cast bullet and some metal polish.  It worked so well on my Lyman molds that I polished all of them.

Some of my Lee molds needed more so I bought some 600 grit lapping compound and lapped them in.  I figured for the low replacement price I couldn't screw up too bad but in most cases I only added a half a thousandth of an inch to the inside diameter.  Now my Lee molds all work better and are more round.  Some of them were a touch out of round.

I by Lee molds for bullets that I don't think I'll make many of and Lyman for the rest.  With Lee it's best to stick with simple designs.  Some of there more complected designed molds are hard to get a good bullet out off them...

Tony